Help › Forums

Missed putt from 2 INCHES

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 9 2017 10:10 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 12:56 AM

Had 1 at PB. 2.3ft. 0 downhill very little break. Hit for 2.5ft. Ball shot straight right and rolled almost 7ft . past. Yes I was on the right meter. It happens. All you can do is laugh and get ready for your next shot. Welcome to WGT.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 1:09 AM

Hi

SlicedPepper:

It happens. All you can do is laugh and get ready for your next shot. Welcome to WGT.

Just pray it's not a mole in one!

Cheers!

Rich

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 4:04 AM

ScottHope:

Possibly overpowered it? A two inch putt on my meter would only be 2-3mm of power on a 10ft scale. Obviously I'd give it more than that just to make sure, but it's easy to overdo it.  : )

Thanks for your take on it.  I really don't think thats what happened, for a couple of reasons.  First, I have shot a thousand putts just like that and I always do it the same way.  I hit it about a foot's worth of power and never had a problem until now.  And if my putter was set to the wrong scale or something, it wouldve gone much further than the 9 inches or whatever it rolled.

As for dragging the aimer sideways, that was my first thought too.  But in watching the replay, one can see that the putt actually does go forward before deflecting to the left.

My guess is one of three things happened:  1) it hit the flagstick that isnt supposed to be there,  2) as someone mentioned, it hit the lip on the back of the cup, which I had never seen it do before, or 3) my ball entered into the wgt twilight zone, was captured by some virtual spacetime anamoly, and then exited in the wrong damn direction, leaving me to ponder the laws of virtual physics yet again.  

Option 3 seems most likely, but as that putt proves, I dont know jack diddly.

Thanks all for your observations. 

Put it in the books.  Since I see no challengers for the record, I now lay claim to the shortest putt ever missed, haha.   Totally worth it.  :)

Rach**

• alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 10:23 AM

Maybe my story fits in:

Harry jr. joins his father on the golf course for the first time, observing only when the big guys play. Coming back, he boasts:

"And on the green, they all tried to avoid the hole, but Daddy outrivalled them all!!"

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 11:20 AM

racoondad:

Looks to me it's neither the flagstick nor hitting too hard, rather the aim mark was accidentally dragged to the side maybe on the mini-map. 

Here is a replay I saved putting sideways. 

Yours does seem to have a little "kick" at the start. It's possible your ball was right on the edge of the cup and dipped a little when gliding over the edge.

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 11:44 AM

racoondad:

racoondad:

Looks to me it's neither the flagstick nor hitting too hard, rather the aim mark was accidentally dragged to the side maybe on the mini-map. 

Here is a replay I saved putting sideways. 

Yours does seem to have a little "kick" at the start. It's possible your ball was right on the edge of the cup and dipped a little when gliding over the edge.

Wowsers, they look eerily similar. I watched yours a few times, then mine a few times.  Its really hard to tell.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe the aimer was accidentally sideways and I didnt notice.  Honestly, I have no idea.  I was totally convinced that wasnt what happened until I saw your replay.  

Im just gonna move on, satisfied that it prolly wont ever happen again.  I got a few really good laughs out of it, and that makes it all good.  :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Rach**

• TopShelf2010
    10,899 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 7:38 AM

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sat, Sep 9 2017 6:02 PM

I think Mags addressed this in a youtube video where he addressed a question from a WGT member.  The question was something like "What's the hardest you can hit a putt on the lip and still sink it?"  Mags was hilarious with his diligence on answering this.  I think he was able to hit it with 3 foot of power and still drop it in.  3.1 foot it bounced up and out.

I'll ask him if he can locate the link and post it in here.

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sat, Sep 9 2017 10:10 PM

I found Mags' video. You must have hit yours harder than stated in this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENKNemWh6nU

• PAGES
RSS