Forums

Help › Forums

Back to school 1848

Wed, Sep 6 2017 3:12 PM (24 replies)
  • gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 12:53 PM

This is the book from 1848

I am scanning the contents. If anyone is interested in a certain subject matter from then, I'll scan it in for you.

The book

contents

1st page, what's wrong?

This was an eighth grade education in its time. Same as 12 grades now. I guarantee a high school graduate could not receive a passing grade using this book ONLY, as his, her last year of study.

This is before Einstein...

Question from "Velocity of sound" We know today, the speed of sound is 1050 FPS, feet per second. in this book, it = 1142 FPS at sea level.

If the flash of a gun fired at sea on a vessle be seen half a minute before the report is heard, what will be the distance?

Notice the "Roman Numerals" defining the individual subjects. When did they stop teaching those???

Fascinating  

• blindpugh
    433 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 1:51 PM

Does  a quarter pounder really weigh a quarter of a pound ?

\@@/

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 2:46 PM

gonfission:

Notice the "Roman Numerals" defining the individual subjects. When did they stop teaching those???

Fascinating  

Agreed. Absolutable.
    Also --- Capital letters seem just a little bit off -- Just sayin

What has me of the curious is what be: XXXIIL -- Methods of exciting Electricity

Any info would be helpful for my scenarios.
    Thanks for the intriguable post!
    My name is Yancy

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:04 PM

blindpugh:

\@@/

Before or after cooking?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:10 PM

Hi Joe,

The speed of sound is not a constant.   The speed of sound depends on many variables, including the ambient temperature, pressure, and the medium that the sound is traveling through.   Sound travels much faster in water, than in the air.  Sea water faster than distilled water.  Even faster through solids.  It's claimed that sound will travel at about 12,000 fps through a diamond.

So i would submit that your question has too many variables missing to answer with absolute certainty.

Jeff :-)

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:31 PM

phred952:
    The speed of sound is not a constant.   The speed of sound depends on many variables, including the ambient temperature, pressure, and the medium that the sound is traveling through.   Sound travels much faster in water, than in the air.  Sea water faster than distilled water.  Even faster through solids.  It's claimed that sound will travel at about 12,000 fps through a diamond

Will this be on the exam?
    Sincerely, I am Yancy

--- JUST GOOFIN' WITH YA ---

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:41 PM

Ahhh... 1848. It was a very big year.

Same year as Communist Manifesto and revolutions in Europe. 

• Breezybaby1811
    366 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 3:57 AM

gonfission:

Fascinating  

Actually, Roman numerals are still taught but not to the extent as years gone.  Just sort of brushed over, but children do still have to know a little bit.  Well, at least that's where it stands downunder.

• blindpugh
    433 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 3:59 AM

phred952:

blindpugh:

\@@/

Before or after cooking?

Now this is getting tricky.

\@@/

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:47 AM

phred952:
    The speed of sound is not a constant

Hi Jeff

The bold print is an actual question from the book. As the center fired cartridge was not in prevalent use until about 1855, I think they are using the report of gun fire, as a loud example of a constant back then.

A lot of gun fire back then.

Today, the example of using a gun, would not be entered into a text book.

We are looking into the past here. It's hard to walk away from our teachings today, and revert back to simplicity.

As far as the speed of sound is concerned, I am an aficionado with all types of weapons. Big bore has long been a relaxation for me. Scuba diving is very dangerous in itself, add the sound of a motor underwater, and it becomes down right frightening.

The boat can be a mile away, if your out of air, and ascending, it sounds as though it's right on top of you. I had to cut a $600.00 buoyancy compensator once. The dive flag is like a magnet to the morons out on the ocean.

I heard the boat, (sound) coming closer. Out of air, I had no choice but to ascend. When I popped up, the boat was headed straight for me, about 70 yards away. I grabbed my knife, sliced the vest, tried to sink as fast as I could, using my arms & hands to push me down.

That pri-ck went directly over me. I had only gotten down to 11 feet. That prop looked pretty menacing directly under it.

I had to leave my weight belt on the ocean floor to get back up. That was a $700.00 day.

Any hoo, the answer to the question is, 6 1/2 miles away, is the distance from the flash.

On the first page, there is some misinformation. I am surprised that no one has picked it up yet. I will leave it unanswered to see if someone realizes how things have accelerated in the world of substance, from then to now.

RSS