Forums

Help › Forums

no concedes on putts when behind

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 15 2017 5:36 PM (3 replies)
  • ebankit
    150 Posts
    Fri, Sep 15 2017 2:46 PM

played with a legend, Bobbiss, that refused to concede a 1.6 ft putt because he and his partner were behind in a match....his comment was that this was common practice-I haven't ever seen it done before-anyone else out there????

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Fri, Sep 15 2017 4:30 PM

If he meant that it's common practice to engage in some gamesmanship, then he's pretty much correct. One of the ways to do that is not to concede short putts and attempt annoy the other player. That sounds like what he was attempting to do. 

So, yes, gamesmanship is common. Nevertheless, to say that it's common to do what he did for a 1.6 foot putt may be a stretch. Maybe for 2 or 3 footers or if the putt happens to sit on an area with a severe break around the hole. 

While I don't play match play, I can think of a couple of holes that I wouldn't concede a 1.6 foot putt (some holes on Merion come immediately to mind). 

The bottom line: it's situational. 

That's my 2 cents. 

• ebankit
    150 Posts
    Fri, Sep 15 2017 5:16 PM

So, in an alt shot match, where the agreement by the parties that 2 or 3 ft was concede range, you would still make the other player putt???  that may be gamesmanship but it surely isn't sportsmanship in my opinion.  

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Fri, Sep 15 2017 5:36 PM

ebankit:
    So, in an alt shot match, where the agreement by the parties that 2 or 3 ft was concede range, you would still make the other player putt???  that may be gamesmanship but it surely isn't sportsmanship in my opinion.  

Oh, for the love of Chrismas.

If that was the agreement, then no, of course, I wouldn't. But you didn't state any of that in your original post. So how would I know what you had agree upon regarding putts and concessions? 

RSS