Help › Forums

Newb questions

Wed, Jun 1 2011 4:22 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JamesTruman
    8 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2011 1:18 PM

Hi all,

I've only just started playing, but so far I'm enjoying it.  I play golf in RL, and I'm impressed with the level of detail here.  But I have some questions.

1. I'm in one of those states that doesn't permit me to compete in skill-based gaming tournaments.  I guess that means I can't compete in Ready-Go tournaments or certain Match Play events.  Are there tournaments with credit prizes that I can compete in?  Is there a list somewhere?

2. What average score do I need to make Amateur?  How many rounds?  I looked in the FAQ, but I didn't see the precise requirements.  As my profile indicates, I've only played one round so far (Congressional, the Open qualifier, where I shot a 92).  

3. How do you recommend getting credits?

4. I found my biggest problem on Congressional was distance.  I just didn't have the length to reach most of the long par 4s.  (Just like in RL, heh.)  So I suppose a driver should be my first acquisition?  Which driver might you all recommend?

Thanks in advance.

• JamesTruman
    8 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2011 2:18 PM

One more question.  Early on, I was offered a free upgrade to my driver -- an "EZ Swing" driver, or some such.  It has no swing meter at all -- just draw the club back and hit.  There doesn't seem to be much skill involved in using this club.  In fact, I'm not sure why some shots with it go offline at all.  Anyway, what's the disadvantage of such a club?  I suppose it's just got poor stats compared to better drivers?

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2011 2:41 PM

JamesTruman:

1. I'm in one of those states that doesn't permit me to compete in skill-based gaming tournaments.  I guess that means I can't compete in Ready-Go tournaments or certain Match Play events.  Are there tournaments with credit prizes that I can compete in?  Is there a list somewhere?

You can compete in Stroke Play and C-t-t-H Tournaments, both often offer credits as a prize. Find them in the game window under Tournaments > Stroke Play and Tournaments > Closest to the Hole. 

JamesTruman:

2. What average score do I need to make Amateur?  How many rounds?  I looked in the FAQ, but I didn't see the precise requirements.  As my profile indicates, I've only played one round so far (Congressional, the Open qualifier, where I shot a 92).  

I don't believe that WGT has ever gave notice of the exact averages you need to tier up. So post all your scores and play your best, and the rest will come naturally. 

JamesTruman:

3. How do you recommend getting credits?

Complete offers. At the top of the site, click Get Credits > Earn Free Credits and start filling out surveys. Most of them ask don't ask for any information at all, and are pretty easy to fill out. However, it's fairly difficult at times to qualify in order to participate, but if you can, it's a simple and quick 75-150 credits. 

JamesTruman:

4. I found my biggest problem on Congressional was distance.  I just didn't have the length to reach most of the long par 4s.  (Just like in RL, heh.)  So I suppose a driver should be my first acquisition?  Which driver might you all recommend?

A driver would be a solid choice. If you don't mind shelling out 1890 credits (or $18.90), I would recommend the Tour PLUS 10.5 (L6+). 

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I would wait until you rank up to at least Pro and buy a driver available to that tier. 

-TLD

• JamesTruman
    8 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2011 9:12 PM

Thank you for your helpful replies!

I didn't even know this game existed until today.  It says "beta," but it sure seems polished to me.  

Anyway, thanks again.  :)

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2011 10:43 PM

JamesTruman:

One more question.  Early on, I was offered a free upgrade to my driver -- an "EZ Swing" driver, or some such.  It has no swing meter at all -- just draw the club back and hit.  There doesn't seem to be much skill involved in using this club.  In fact, I'm not sure why some shots with it go offline at all.  Anyway, what's the disadvantage of such a club?  I suppose it's just got poor stats compared to better drivers?

You're correct. It has .5 Precision, meaning it often won't go where you are aimed. 

• JamesTruman
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 9:30 AM

Thanks!  OK if I ask a few more questions?

1. How often should I trust the game's club selection?  Sometimes I wish these games wouldn't suggest a club at all; part of the fun is deciding myself.  

2. When hitting out of a bad lie, is there some random chance you'll duff it or some such?  Or does such a lie simply mean you have a narrower margin for error with the swing meter?  Is a chip shot "safer" than a pitch or a lob out of such a lie?

3. Are there "flyers" (non-spinning shots) out of rough?

4. Do practice rounds "count" for purposes of advancing in tier?  Or only tournament rounds?  Do closest-to-pin rounds count, or only stroke play?

Thanks in advance! 

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 11:50 AM

JamesTruman:

Thanks!  OK if I ask a few more questions?

1. How often should I trust the game's club selection?  Sometimes I wish these games wouldn't suggest a club at all; part of the fun is deciding myself.  

At the Legend tier (which I'm currently at), I find myself trusting the game's club selection about 85% of the time when I'm in the middle of the fairway. Also, as a personal preference, I often flop the ball from rough-side green and will often change clubs to do so. So I probably trust club selections from <50 yards around 30% of the time. 

However, at your level I remember the game typically not giving me enough club on many shots (because at lower levels, while your ball may travel "X" amount of yards, some of that includes the ball rolling, and is not all carry). So you might want to club up on many approach shots. But in reality, you just need to learn your clubs, learn how to judge the uphill/downhill compensation, wind, etc. and you'll be able to know exactly how far to hit the ball, regardless of what the game suggests. 

JamesTruman:

2. When hitting out of a bad lie, is there some random chance you'll duff it or some such?  Or does such a lie simply mean you have a narrower margin for error with the swing meter?  Is a chip shot "safer" than a pitch or a lob out of such a lie?

To me personally, lies are a bit quirky in this game. I often find myself playing normal shots out of 20-25% rough just because it seems to not even effect my ball. However, the percentage is supposed to mean that your ball will be affect (in distance) by that much. So theoretically, if you have a 5% lie, you need to play for 5% more distance. But through my own experience, certain lies play really strange and others don't. However, I am positive in telling you that anything above 30-40% rough will kill you, and no, you won't hit a flier out of it. ;)

As for chipping out of rough, I would never do it unless I am literally inches from the putting surface. Chips often won't carry but a few feet, which can end up in the rough again if you're not careful. Just learn what shot types work best from certain places. There is never a "universal" shot type that can get you up and down from everywhere. Utilize Full, Pitch, Flop, Chip, and Punch to see what works best from where. 

JamesTruman:

3. Are there "flyers" (non-spinning shots) out of rough?

Like I said before, I've often seen lies in rough where the ball seems to hardly (or possibly not even at all) be affected by the lie. In most courses, any lies <25% do not need to be compensated for by too much. 

JamesTruman:

4. Do practice rounds "count" for purposes of advancing in tier?  Or only tournament rounds?  Do closest-to-pin rounds count, or only stroke play?

Thanks in advance! 

You rank up tiers by lowering your average so no, scores in practice rounds will not tier your up because they are not recorded on your profile. This is because you can edit the settings of the round, making the courses easier to play, and enabling you to shoot low scores. 

Ranked Stroke Play Rounds and Stroke Play Tournaments are the only ways to rank up your tier. Be sure to post every round (good or bad) and play often! 

-TLD

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 2:31 PM

Don't know what's up with those EZ swing clubs (discovered them once here by accident) but avoid them like the plague (bubonic).

Just go with the standard clubs and by the time you've figured out how things work you'll have a chance to buy some accurate clubs. (Don't treat the quick-distance sets in that group.)

Add in the fancy balls later, when spin etc. make more of a difference.

Oh, and read Iconian's advice on the short game. A classic post. The Bible.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 4:33 PM

JamesTruman:

If the only ranked round you've played is the us open qualifier then i'll inform you now that this tournament is off legend tees which are a lot further back so i think you'll find that the equipment you have now will be fine for the hack tees. I'd wait until you've leveled up and unlocked some better equipment before you buy new.

I'd recommend waiting until you reach level 29 and get the very accurate Taylormade R11. That should see u ok until you reach master tier at least

Dazza

• JamesTruman
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 6:53 PM

Zagran: I hear you on the EZ driver.  Ugh.  I had a nice back-nine going at St. Andrews, when suddenly the driver stopped hitting straight.  Two straight drives went OB.  I think I'm good enough with the swing meter to use a regular driver, heh.

Dazza: Thanks for the advice.  I see there are people who also advocate the Tour Plus driver, available at level 6 on, but I might take your advice and hold out for that Taylor Made.  Although I'm wondering how I'll ever earn that many credits.  Do most people break down and buy credits with RL money?

I did finally earn my first 50 credits: just made Amateur.  I've played several ranked rounds now, not just the US Open Qualifier.  In each case, I'm going along nicely, making lots of pars, and then I'll blow up -- hit it OB, or five-putt, or duff a pitch.  So I have yet to break 80.  But "Amateur" sounds a lot nicer than "hack."

Speaking of duffing pitches and five-putting: is there a practice putting/chipping green somewhere?  A practice bunker?  Or do I just have to play practice rounds?

• PAGES
RSS