Help › Forums

the Virtual opens

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 2 2011 6:15 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Bristoluk
    412 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 6:24 AM

I think that you should have just 1 round to  qualify in these opens, not  to be unlimited and 6 weeks long, the way it is it gives a big advantage to the big boys and girls on here and less to us more mortals, after all WGT ur allways saying that this is the most realistic golf game going, so make it so then 1 round and 1 only, before the big advent, im sure then that the cut off point wouldnt be 60.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 6:34 AM

Bristoluk:

I think that you should have just 1 round to  qualify in these opens, not  to be unlimited and 6 weeks long, the way it is it gives a big advantage to the big boys and girls on here and less to us more mortals, after all WGT ur allways saying that this is the most realistic golf game going, so make it so then i round and 1 only before the big advent, im sure then that the cut of point wouldnt be 60.

I hear ya but I also don't think that's fair. After all only way professionals can qualify is based on their prior performance. Maybe make it an average of 10 scores or something. It's a thought...

-wgticon

• Bristoluk
    412 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 6:51 AM

Thank you for ur  answer to my post, i just think that the way that they are set up does benefit the top players more, and good luck to them all by the way, but in the future maybe a fairer way might be thought out.

• ThunderBoltz
    740 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:01 AM

You guys should have the Top 10 of each tier compete in the Final Rounds each having their own separate qualifying rounds.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:27 AM

I should simply get a bye into the final round,because I am me and I am worth it. What are we talking about anyway? Biscuit anyone?

Lizzie xx

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:54 AM

Biscuit

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:55 AM

WGTicon:

I hear ya but I also don't think that's fair. After all only way professionals can qualify is based on their prior performance. Maybe make it an average of 10 scores or something. It's a thought...

-wgticon

Icon, why don't you think about a sort of Open Qualifying School?

4 weeks, 8 single rounds, similar to the Multiround format. With all the wind/green conditions.

Yeah, I know the management problems: a new player can't enter after first rd is gone and if you have problems playing during a stage in the four weeks you lost everything. And it's not so fair.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 8:39 AM

I think you have to look at it rationally. WGT has to use the launch of a new course and the Open's to maximise revenue generation (remember they are a profit making company not a charity). Without generating this revenue, the future release of more courses becomes less likely.

Last year's conditions for qualifying were brutal and put off many from trying to qualify after their first attempt. This year they have given much tamer conditions and it has inevitably led to many more players continually trying to qualify. A "tick" for WGT cash generation then primarily through the increased sales of callaways no doubt.

Giving limited opportunities to qualify would lessen the level that non-heavy users of the game, therefore again limiting cash generation. Would it affect who qualifies; no. The best players would still make it simply by taking more care over their qualification round. It's been pointed out by many, how quickly the low scores came in and I'm 99% certain at least 125 out of the current qualifiers would've made it on this basis.

Tiered events could be a welcome addition in the future but realistically the prizes on offer wouldn't be of the standard you currently see (the tier sandbagger would have a field day). Everyone has to remember that these are their two biggest events of the year (coupled with the two biggest prizes on offer). The person who wins will be deserving of those prizes as they will have beaten the whole of the community in an open competition that everyone played from the same conditions (bar the winds; that's a whole other argument to have).

Yes, WGT's profit making tactics are fairly cold and perhaps leave a slightly sour taste for some but I don't begrudge them doing it provided the quality of their future releases doesn't diminish.

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 9:22 AM

I agree, James. And the Unlimited format let everyone free to try and being part of the Open final rounds.

Mine was just a further suggestion, but your line of argument is absolutely right.

• Bristoluk
    412 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 10:03 AM

I agree and disagree with a lot that has been said on this post, if i play an open comp in my real golf club ,we all play off of the same tees, the only thing difference is that the handicaps come into play for the gross and net score,s, why not forget the qualifyers anyhow and just play the comp under the proper conditions,im sure that people who wd find it hard from the longer tees wd nt enter,and that most masters tour masters ect practice off off the bk tees anyhow,bt in the end its all down to the puttg for us all on here.

• PAGES
RSS