Help › Forums

open scoring..Royal St Georges

Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:30 AM (119 replies)
  • Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:28 PM

mercero:
    how the hell do u shoot those scores

Skill and practice.  Possibly with a small amount of luck thrown in.

And seriously....does Bollox really need eagles when he's posting scores like that? lol

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 4:32 PM

Jake, after reading your post, I decided to check out the Back 9 challenge at Congressional, and hit this putt on my first try:

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=cec5ea1d-e10f-4a91-8bba-9f010182dd63

Cheers

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 4:43 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    Glad to get that out of the way, now back to practicing Congressional :)

I don't know whether to be disheartened, motivated, or downright impressed.  Definitely impressive.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:25 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Glad to get that out of the way, now back to practicing Congressional :)

is that your best?

tbe

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:42 PM

Jerm65:

mercero:

And seriously....does Bollox really need eagles when he's posting scores like that? lol

2 reachable par fives yet BNB couldn't make a damn eagle...?  Apparently he didn't hole out any approach shots either....He sux....(:O)

--bear

• lbcgolf
    314 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 6:26 PM

suncity28:

If I am playing a tournament or RG , & hit a bad shot & looking at 30ft putt I am not trying to roll it close for a tap in par. I would spend 90 sec - 2 mins working the putt out to roll it in.

Man... I'd hate to be in the group playing behind you! lol

Seriously though.  While I can't argue with your putting routine since your putting stats are pretty impressive and it works for you, mine's a little different.

I spend 20 to 30 seconds just looking at the break, rapidly switching from forward view to reverse view several times, not even touching the aimer.  In forward view I look at the break immediately in front of the putter, in reverse closer to the hole.  Have to go backwards and forwards several times because I believe the break is best read when the balls are all in sync in the middle of the grid before they all slide off to the hill and get distorted.

Then I move the aimer once... look 1 or 2 more times and do a couple of quick adjustments and go.  No more than 45 to 50 secs from start to finish, I'd say.

The more time I spend looking at a putt, the greater the chance I'll second-guess myself when the first instinct was probably best.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 7:51 PM

bearclaw27:

Jerm65:

mercero:

2 reachable par fives yet BNB couldn't make a damn eagle...?  Apparently he didn't hole out any approach shots either....He sux....(:O)

--bear

Sorry to disappoint with the lack of eagles.  Did have a decent look at one on 7.  Think it was 238 out with 9 tail, nice 3i yardage but mishit slightly late to 18ft right of the pin and then again mishit the double breaking putt slightly.  14 was 12 headwind so came up 35 yards short of the pin in 2 on that one.

Did technically have a holeout on 13, hit an ugly approach that rolled off the front left edge of the green and drained the big breaking putt from the fringe.

51 is definitely possible, maybe will try for it if someone else posts a 52 to motivate me after the US Open :)

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:27 PM

BolloxInBruges:

bearclaw27:

Jerm65:

mercero:

--bear

Did technically have a holeout on 13, hit an ugly approach that rolled off the front left edge of the green and drained the big breaking putt from the fringe.

Yeah, I had a feelin that you holed out from somewhere...

Go and kick a$$ @ congressional...........

peace

--bear

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 11:47 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Sorry to disappoint with the lack of eagles.  Did have a decent look at one on 7.  Think it was 238 out with 9 tail, nice 3i yardage but mishit slightly late to 18ft right of the pin and then again mishit the double breaking putt slightly.  14 was 12 headwind so came up 35 yards short of the pin in 2 on that one.

51 is definitely possible, maybe will try for it if someone else posts a 52 to motivate me after the US Open :)

Weak...plain weak...

• Tobbbia
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:30 AM

wildcat18racing6:

Tobbbia........New set of irons in your bag. I would'nt use back spin with those irons till you get use to the meter speed. back spin will hurt a shot more when it is not dinged than with no back spin. So get use to them first. they are the same meter speed as your wedges.

I come back on WGT after a while to find an incredible surprise... I really am speechless... I was expecting an advice on what to buy or maximum some balls... Wow... You are really generous. If I ever find a way of paying you back I will. Promise. Now I need to score lower to do your present justice...

P.S. Haven't tried them yet, because I'm having some tough days at work, but will let you know how I get on.

RSS