Forums

Help › Forums

Back spin

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:24 PM (8 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:23 AM

What am I doing wrong, I use Callaway S balls have ,Cleveland wedges, 60,64,&52 and get maybe a 1/2" back spin. 

Thanks

Gary

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 10:53 AM

Woodoworkery:

What am I doing wrong, I use Callaway S balls have ,Cleveland wedges, 60,64,&52 and get maybe a 1/2" back spin. 

Thanks

Gary

Pull the little dot down on the ball.

ROFL.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:17 PM

I do, I put the dot as far down as it will go

Gary

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:33 PM

Gary-If you're looking for the back spin where the ball comes back like it's in high gear reverse you're not going to see it with your wedges. You will get the ball to spin back some but not like the later version of those CGs. Your CGs and the Satins are the same with the spin rating so I know what you're seeing/not seeing and it's the way it should be for 3 1/2 dots. The Callaway (s) ball is the better spinner of the two balls so with that you will see the maximum spin you're going to get until you get to the 4 1/2 dot version.

Spin with those wedges is better used to stick the ball and control the roll after landing, something the Satins did quite nicely and the CGs most surely will too. I like to map all the short game shots using full backspin so you have a consistent reference point and can trust your club yardages. That way, when you want more yardage you use less spin rather than guessing how much to put on in the first place. Hope this helps.  :)

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:40 PM

This shot using Calloway z ball, no backspin used at all. And you want backspin by using the dots. lol

Clevelad 64 degree wedge

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:46 PM

He doesn't have the same wedges as you and that hole is nasty downhill from where you landed. LOL- In last year's final rounds of the Open there that ball would have probably rolled 40-50 feet farther (2nd hole at Oakmont.) FWIW, that friggin club backs up all by itself and top spin doesn't always stop it. You definitely have to be careful with that one.  ;-)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:07 PM

Yes I have the lower end Cleveland wedges, use the Callaway s ball. The difference is 0ne dot on spin so I think I should get at least half that back spin difference.

Gary

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:16 PM

Mr. Jim sure would like to play 9 holes with you at both our convenience. Legend tees I don't care. Course doesn't matter either. Will give you 100 credits just for some lessons.

Not a joke, just a friendly request.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:24 PM

I absolutely refuse to give lessons for credits. It's more fun just hacking around and teaching that way. Anytime pardo. :-)

@Gary-you would think so but it isn't that way. 1 dot when you get that close to the maximum dots is huge. This replay  should give you an idea of what you can reasonably expect. It was hit with the Satin 90w, full back spin and a Tour-SD ball.

RSS