Forums

Help › Forums

For Release at Midnight - New Study Released (Abstract)

Sun, Apr 1 2018 7:08 PM (8 replies)
  • EasyEdward
    13,507 Posts
    Sat, Mar 31 2018 6:13 PM

Abstract

THE EFFECT OF CHANGING THE SEX OF YOUR AVATAR ON AVATAR FATIGUE ON THE DISTANCE OF TEE SHOTS IN WORLD GOLF TOUR'S ONLINE GOLF GAME.

AUTHOR:

Edward, Easy - 5 year WGT Player, The Peoples Club  professor of Everything Spreadsheet, Owner emeritus of The Peoples Club.

INTRODUCTION:

Of the many imponderables noted in the WGT Sub-Forum: The 19th Hole a number of them are quite baffling: (1) The effect of using a free starter ball for a number of rounds to minimize VEM, (2) The effect of aliens on those who inhabit the WGT universe, (3) The effect of using a CC Pass on the final score for a round, and (4) The methodology to defeat the effect of avatar fatigue due to the continuous use of the same avatar on the distance of tee shots.  

Note: For the uninitiated: "avatar fatigue" does not mean that a particular tee shot is always shorter after a period of time using the same avatar but rather that the overall accuracy of the avatar becomes wildly unpredictable - either short or long but not wildly left or right.

While it has already been firmly established that avatar fatigue does exist; neither the rate of the fatigue nor the specific remedy has been found.

The matter of the effect of continuous use of the same avatar on the distance of tee shots and how to defeat it was chosen due to lack of general understanding of it's potential impact on player performance and what exactly can be done about it.

The potential of defeating avatar fatigue by changing the sex of your avatar just came to me one night in a dream.

OBJECTIVES:

The objective of this study was to scientifically determine:

• When a WGT player's avatar becomes fatigued after continuous sustained use,
    • When a WGT player's avatar does become fatigued what is the formula to determine the rate of fatigue,
    • When a WGT player's avatar does become fatigued does switching the sex of your avatar eliminate avatar fatigue, and
    • When should the WGT player take the WGT player take these steps if they do exist.

The results will astound even the most astute WGT player.

METHODOLOGY:

To develop a massive study such as this one; a number of known potential flaws had to be eliminated.

The foremost among was the effect of a bounce on a sloping fairway which would invariably alter the distance of the tee shot.

The secondary factor was that the winds could not exceed a certain variability or the results would be impossible to scientifically accurately calibrate.

It was therefore decided that the Best of the Par 3 holes should be chosen as the tee shot lands on the same green every time.

Finally, specific holes on WGT's Best of the Par 3 had to be chosen based on the needed properties for scientific analysis.

Specifically these holes ended up being chosen because of the factor that off the easy tees in low wind, the same club would be chosen, hit at exactly 100%, with the same club and ball type AND that the wind variable was not more than a specified range in mph. 

Each of the selected holes were then played 6 times daily for a period of five months. Each result that was either slightly off "The Ding" or "Dinged" was recorded under the appropriate wind conditions for the hole at the time of the shot.

In all over 930 times each hole selected. 

Yes, you read that right, 930 times for each of the selected holes!

Additionally, each of the results were logged based on the number of rounds played with the current avatar and the wind direction and mph range.

When testing the theory of when best to change the sex of the avatar the following avatars were used:

Male Avatar:

Female Avatar:

RESULTS:

The study data clearly demonstrated the following:

1. A WGT player's avatar does fatigue if used too often in a row;
    2. The formula for the fatigue experienced is shown in the full paper:
    3. The specific remedial action a WGT player should take is to change your avatar's sex on a set schedule.
    4. The minimum time frame for making the switch is every 6.66 rounds or 60 holes.

While it is understandable that there will be some skepticism over the finding the proof is here:

First check out my blog post on my Holes-in-One during the time frame of this study: It can be found HERE.

Note that there are a number of shots where it says "Unexpected Error" did not allow me to save the replay.

As we all know this type of thing never happens on WGT.The reason was simple.

I did not want to be seen in a replay dressed as a female.

Sorry about that - I am just vane that way I guess.

Anyway I bet you all want to know my main takeaway from this five month long scientific study.

So....

CONCLUSION:

If you have read this far you are too much of a WGT fanatic and simply forgot today was April Fools Day....

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sat, Mar 31 2018 9:18 PM

Hi Easy Ed

Abstract or not, and for whatever reasons, fascinating reading. It's something I'd suspected for a while although I don't make a point of strolling through the clubhouse so dressed.

I find my female avatar more suited to the shorter game, CTTH say and use myself for regular and CC tourneys.

Once I'd started reading I had to finish, same as everybody else I'm guessing.
    A Masterpiece, and on behalf of myself and Whooshdangette thankyou!

Happy Easter

Rich

• ScottHope
    10,349 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 2:07 AM

Nice one Ed, that's a lot of work for an April Fools.  8 )

Happy Easter

Scott.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 3:06 AM

HaHa, You got me reading the whole thing.

Good One

• craigswan
    31,549 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 3:19 AM

Brilliant .

I might use this in my cc to antaganise one or two .

Now relax and have a drink .

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 1:19 PM

If you had enough time to write all that then you still have enough spare time on your hands to run TPC.

Happy Easter!

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 1:42 PM

Both my male and female Avatars are fatigued after reading the above, with one distinction. The male Avatar's fatigue resulting in muttering "Oh ffs". The female Avatar simply rolled her eyes, girded her loins, and x'd out the forums page. Male Avatar then mumbled "what a Biotch". 

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 7:07 PM

EasyEdward:

The potential of defeating avatar fatigue by changing the sex of your avatar just came to me one night in a dream.

Ed can this be discussed here with this site being a G rated and all?

Great one!

• EasyEdward
    13,507 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 7:08 PM

pmm711:

If you had enough time to write all that then you still have enough spare time on your hands to run TPC.

Happy Easter!

LOL @ Paul.

Writing it took me about 20 mins max. 

Setting up my score history to make it look like I did play that number of rounds on the Par 3 was the hard part.

PS- If anyone does want to use it - go ahead if you copy it in full.

RSS