Forums

Help › Forums

I recommend "pulling the Flagstick"

Sat, May 12 2018 11:46 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SoCalJim23
    430 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 1:29 PM

According to the USGA.......before any ball is hit onto the Green from anywhere on the course, the golfer can have a person attend the Flagstick and pull it.  This rule applies to ALL shots, not just when your ball is sitting on the Green.

Well,. this is not the PGA, but still, I almost always pull the Flagstick "before" I hit any ball that I feel sure will land on the Green.

Of the approx. 4,020 ranked rounds I've played over the past (4) years, I have 327 Flagstick hits.....way too many!  Because, there have been times, when I just forgot to pull the Flagstick before a shot to the green.

A few minutes ago, playing the WGT Best Of Par 3 Holes....I hit my Tee Shot short of the Green (should have even pulled the Flagstick for this shot....as a Hole In One is always possible on a Par 3 Hole).  Again, forgetting to pull the Flagstick, I flopped my ball towards the hole.....and my ball hit the Flagstick and bounced back behind my player. Ended up with a "Double-Bogey" on that hole.....nice.

I've looked at even some extremely talented players here on WGT....who have way too many Flagstick hits.  I know for me, I have cheated myself out of some Birdies, Eagles and even some Double-Eagles.......only because, I forgot to pull the Flagstick before hitting my ball onto the Green.

Other members may disagree with my "theory" here.....but, I think the Flagstick crowds the hole and can interfere with making some great shots.

Just a thought.

Jim

• alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 1:42 PM

Total un-disagreement here, especially in this virtual game!

Here, more than in real golf, the balls are deflected from the sticks, partly in an unbelievable manner. Shots from 100 yds out may caroom off 200 yds or more, ending up from off the green to drained in water to far OOB. We can avoid it easily by pulling the flagsticks on any shot which might end on the green, from 220+ yds out.

I only forget it more often than not :(

• DoctorLarry
    4,302 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 3:16 PM

Good post!

Now if I just had a caddy running ahead and pulling it for me..........

I forget it most of the time and have missed a number of holed shots with some strange ricochets, in my short time playing!  

I bet WGT could sell/lease a virtual caddy that pulls the pin just before I hit a ball!  Call it Mr Stickman!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 4:56 PM

You get 25,000 points for hitting the stick in Blitz. Don't know if those count in the stats, though. Also, there are times you want to hit that pin so you leave it in, like on a pitch or chip from rough around the green.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 5:59 PM

SoCalJim23:

According to the USGA.......before any ball is hit onto the Green from anywhere on the course, the golfer can have a person attend the Flagstick and pull it.  This rule applies to ALL shots, not just when your ball is sitting on the Green.

Well,. this is not the PGA, but still, I almost always pull the Flagstick "before" I hit any ball that I feel sure will land on the Green.

Of the approx. 4,020 ranked rounds I've played over the past (4) years, I have 327 Flagstick hits.....way too many!  Because, there have been times, when I just forgot to pull the Flagstick before a shot to the green.

A few minutes ago, playing the WGT Best Of Par 3 Holes....I hit my Tee Shot short of the Green (should have even pulled the Flagstick for this shot....as a Hole In One is always possible on a Par 3 Hole).  Again, forgetting to pull the Flagstick, I flopped my ball towards the hole.....and my ball hit the Flagstick and bounced back behind my player. Ended up with a "Double-Bogey" on that hole.....nice.

I've looked at even some extremely talented players here on WGT....who have way too many Flagstick hits.  I know for me, I have cheated myself out of some Birdies, Eagles and even some Double-Eagles.......only because, I forgot to pull the Flagstick before hitting my ball onto the Green.

Other members may disagree with my "theory" here.....but, I think the Flagstick crowds the hole and can interfere with making some great shots.

Just a thought.

Jim

I haven't been around as long as you, I've only been around since the summer of 2016 but I quickly realized to take the pin out & you can always use fmags "trick" of removing the pin before you hit & then replacing It midair, Visually It will be In but "physically" It wont be there to stop the ball!

Ken

• craigswan
    31,549 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 12:21 PM

I use starter balls which run forever and no backspin . Most of the time I am glad the pin stops my ball.

Rather have a 4 foot putt than a chip out of the rough .

See the source image

• SoCalJim23
    430 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 1:35 PM

Too Funny, Craig!

Yeah.....I vote for the 4 ft. putt too.

Well, I used to play using expensive balls.....but, no longer.

I recommend you "consider" play with inexpensive balls......I play with .99 cent sleeves or each ball is only about 33 cents each.  I do a few surveys (no more videos are available).  

These inexpensive balls are NOT the best.....but, IMO, a LOT better than using those "Starter Balls".  

The inexpensive balls have very little backspin, but, the meter is manageable....definitely slower than the "Starter Ball" meter.

Good Luck to you........and stay OUT of those roughs.....LOL. 

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 2:08 PM
    SoCalJim23:
    ....I play with .99 cent sleeves or each ball is only about 33 cents each.

Think you'll find they are EXACTLY 33 cents each. ;-)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 3:18 PM
    alcaucin:
    SoCalJim23:
    ....I play with .99 cent sleeves or each ball is only about 33 cents each.

Think you'll find they are EXACTLY 33 cents each. ;-)
    That really depends on how creative your accountant is.
  • crusecontrol
    848 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 6:43 PM

Very expensive decision to , not pull the flag stick .

replay.aspx?ID=65843368 c95a 45ec 814e a8dc0046fd5c

• PAGES
RSS