Forums

Help › Forums

"Free" game? Credits expensive!!

Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:39 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hovedan
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 3:36 AM

Hey all, just registered and enjoyed my first hack round of 110 (!)  in the Open qualifying.

My question is - credits.   I see I've unlocked a host of clubs after that round, BUT, the cost seems ridiculous.  I only want to play online, not for real!  I can play for real for less!!

And if you don't pay, you can't access better equipment, so you can't ever improve and enjoy the game.  Has a very limited shelf life with the standard equipment!

How does everyone else seem to manage??

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:50 AM

hovedan:

How does everyone else seem to manage??

We earn the money in tournaments(!) Sorry I couldn't resist.

The majority of people on here spend quite a lot of money to get the better clubs and balls. If you're good enough you can get by by earning the money in Tournaments. In my experience the free multi-round tournaments aren't played in much, so there's a chance to earn a few credits there.

You earn credits for moving up tiers as well. FAQs over there ---------->>

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 12:53 PM

If he's from Hove he can't be all bad. You can earn credits on the offers page sir.

http://www.wgt.com/user/offers.aspx

• MUSTAQBAL1
    270 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 1:16 PM

congratulations hove on your score. i played without purchasing anything for about 5 months when i first started. my average was in the low 70s with the starter clubs and unlimited balls.  had a lot of fun but couldn't compete with the better players who purchased better equipment from the pro shop.  i finally broke down and upgraded to a nice set of raptures and callaway balls.   so is it worth it to spend a little and enjoy this game?  i think so.  you'll realize it eventually when you are 100 yards out from the pin and hit a wedge and watch the ball back up from backspin.  great game.

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 2:27 PM

Every now and then when I've got $20 to spare here, there, and yon, I bank some credits on the off chance that I want to buy some new clubs or equip with Callaways.  In fact I just got through doing a low grade upgrade because the Cleveland wedges got so much good press from other players I decided to try them out.  I'm glad I did. 

Doesn't bother me to spend some money on a 'free' game that provides me hours of entertainment and something to do when I'm bored at work like I have been for the last couple of months.

• boozybob1
    89 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2011 4:55 PM

save yourself alot of heartache, buy a gift card, like I did, upgrade your equip. asap, and you will climb the ladder of success quicker and have more fun.  peace out

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:30 PM

WGT offers many ways of getting free credits. 

The most efficient way for someone of your caliber is going to be to participate by completing offers and filling out surveys. Check out the "GET CREDITS > EARN FREE CREDITS" tab at the top of the forums here. You should be able to get hundreds of credits in just a few days. 

But I'm going to be honest with you. Until you buy some new clubs, you probably won't be able to compete very well in your tier tournaments. Some people buy new clubs on the first day they're hear, which immediately gives them an advantage over other members, who are trying to climb the ladder from scratch. 

Give the game some time, take every free route possible to earning credits, practice practice practice, and have a great time... That's the best advice I can give you. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:09 AM

TheLighterDark:
    Give the game some time, take every free route possible to earning credits, practice practice practice, and have a great time... That's the best advice I can gi

1005 % agree:)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:45 AM

hovedan:
    I only want to play online, not for real!  I can play for real for less!!

The cost of one real round of golf will take you a very long way here. The next time weather keeps you from playing take that green fee and use it here for some basic stuff. You will not be sorry.  :-)

• FuzzySniffles
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:56 AM

Just do a few surveys & free offers.  You can earn several thousand credits just doing that which is enough to buy all the clubs you'll need at the low to mid levels.  Or there are several deals where you spend £3-4 and earn 1750 to 850 credits.  It isn't that hard or expensive to earn enough credits to be competitive.  You can do it without spending anything.

• PAGES
RSS