Help › Forums

cost of set of new clubs

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:19 PM (9 replies)
  • flechettes
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 12:07 AM

Hi,

I am glad that I found this website to play some golf. It is very good website etc. 

I shoot in the high 70's or low 80's with the set of clubs that came with my free membership. 

I am always playing my approach shot first because other players have some cash to invest in their game and they have those fancy clubs that hit the ball further than my free driver that the host has provided me. 

How much is it gonna cost me to buy a good set so that I can improve my game and stay up with the big boys. Is that their scores are so darn low? The clubs and balls and fancy pants and something to drink when the sun is beating down on their backs???

Please someone enlighten me. How much will it cost to shoot par? 

Flechettes

• benjawood
    447 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:51 AM

Take a look up there ^^^^^^^^ at the Pro Shop. You'll find all you need. What clubs are available to you (tier related), prices, 'fancy pants' etc...

But, you can buy all the best toys in the store, you'll only get better with practice, practice and more practice.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 1:01 PM

flechettes:

That is not an easy question to answer as playing better is driven by many factors...the amount of time you spend here (practice) and the quality of the equipment and balls you buy...Oh, and having some talent doesn't hurt either. 

The way to get better sticks is by Leveling up.  The rub is that to level up faster, you need to play more...hence buying more balls in the process.  I'm not telling you this to discourage you...just be aware of how this works and do things based on what you want instead of being pressured. 

Also, be aware that this place is habit forming...many of the best players, the guys you are trying to catch, have been here a long time and play until their fingers bleed...while you might want to do something else during the day (wink).  And as to clubs, there are always be bigger, better and more expensive clubs available as you move to higher levels so keep that in mind as well.  

Joey

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 2:00 PM

flechettes:

As much or as little as you want to spend. You can't buy that par but you sure can make it easier to get so the birdies will start coming. A decent driver, a couple of wedges and a putter will get you on the right track for less than $20.

Your dollars are best spent minimally at first so you can learn the game. With inferior equipment you're forced to play smart and that is what will ultimately get you your par. As you progress you'll see what you need and can upgrade so be careful spending at first. GL

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 3:23 PM

It costs nothing to play the game, it only costs if you improve and want to compete with the players in your tier.  I can shoot par with starter clubs and balls and only bought new clubs after playing for a while and moving up a level (the old levels).  After moving up I bought a Rapture Driver and a new putter until I hit another level.  Once you get better it becomes your decision as to whether you want to play for fun or compete which will cost you in terms of clubs. 

• flechettes
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 3:31 PM

Thanks, that was helpful. You are at level 91 and avg 64. You shoot par with starter set. You earned 94 dollars career. How much have you spent to get down to 64 avg? Par is 72 so 72-64=8 strokes per 18 holes. So, I spend the money and get to play against others who drive it longer and hit approach shots closer, and putt for show and ___________?! Interesting. I do like the join a group and play agains real players. Thanks again. Any other comments would be helpful also.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:22 PM

it is like a race car, how fast do you want to go?  how much money do you want to spend?  the same thing.  i used the free clubs and balls until i made tour pro, i then had to buy a driver with better distance or continue to drive into the fescue on St A.  i researched my needs, my wants, my ability, and my finances, the answer was slow speed clubs with the good drive distance, a better ball with spin ability, got it all for less than 30.00 at that time, might be more now, i got my wife involved by letting her do her birthday/christmas shopping for me at the pro shop.  after i got everything on my list, plus, she said it was the cheapest birthday present she ever bought me, and no returns, everything fit, and no buyers remorse.  after reaching master level i again had to reasses my game.  i'm having fun.  i want to improve.  i had to get some new and better clubs, but kept my driver, putter, woods, and the balls i like to use.  not cheap, but affordable.  have fun, grow with your abilities, real or imagined.  my nickel.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:09 PM

I agree with lee22 but watch out for those legends taking your clubs and replacing them with Toys r US  Clubs disguised to look like your real ones. Happened to me today and I still can't shoot. Keep em close to you when you get used to them. Those buggers, you never know when they will strike.

• flechettes
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:12 PM

you lost me on the legends stealing your clubs???? explain please.

• flechettes
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:19 PM

that was a whole for a nickel! thanks a lot. I am getting some pretty good answers to my questions. I will looking to buy a better driver and putter. I am enjoying the games except for a few players who run the clock down to the last second before hitting the ball. It takes forever and I get aggravated, just like on the real course when slow play happens in front of me. Yes, at times I have to use all the clock too.......but most of the time it is a quick set up and boom there goes the ball..........on the fairway or on the green. 

RSS