Lip outs:

Thu, Feb 13 2020 10:59 PM (61 replies)
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 10:59 AM

Yiannis1970:

Bowl64:
    you name it.... 

I name it, but i don't know what name to give. Any godfathers here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlUJuYsUWY

Lol!  WTF...never seen something like that before.  Damn.

Think the proper name there actually is LolWTF   :)

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 11:20 AM
    Yiannis1970:

Bowl64:
    you name it.... 

There you go...a great reason to not only tilt your head like a confused dog, but also to tilt a beer at the 19th hole while pondering the occurrence. 🍺
  • Bowl64
    3,119 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 12:03 PM

Yiannis1970:

Bowl64:
    you name it.... 

Holy crap! No wonder i can`t get it right lol!

• GaryBarc
    216 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 9:10 AM

Agreed....many are saying the speed of my putts is causing the lip outs. I know that to be incorrect. I've had  very slow putts lip out also. I think it's just set up that way. if you're not hitting the middle of the hole you'll lip out. Just in the set up by Top Golf.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 1:17 PM

GaryBarc:
    I think it's just set up that way. if you're not hitting the middle of the hole you'll lip out. Just in the set up by Top Golf.

I disagree. I see many putts drop in the side when my speed is right. There's another factor that might be making a difference-I use the same putter as you but the 96 version. It has 1.5 more Precision and .5 more Balance. Balance is what keeps a putt from wandering off as it slows down. Maybe the next free rental give the higher Versa a try.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 2:26 PM

VEM9000 says "Yours is not to reason why, it is human error, entirely the user's fault".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=8lzQA-gn8xE

But, seriously, here is the best "instruction" for putting I have ever seen:

https://sites.google.com/site/bilkosputterpal/jacobsgolfstats/wgt-putting-201-sck

• el3n1
    4,502 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 2:38 PM

there are examples of all kinds of putts missing some can easily be explained....

however, the putts that I find questionable are the one's I feel quite confident in my line chosen but at some point during those putts in question... the putt picks up and shows somewhat of a vapor trail (note...I do not pay for vapor trail balls) while lipping out or grazing the edge... none of my other "mistakes" or missed putts do this or can be observed in the same way...

so it does give the impression the "algorithms" are being tweaked or playing slightly differently than normal... it can be labeled VEM, it can be subtle adjustments in the "flow of the game" or whatever...

But it does clearly give a completely different impression than "normal" game play... 

after playing a few hundred or thousand rounds, most people can almost sense when one of those rounds are going to occur... yardages seem to be off, putts start grazing edges... etc...

many people have talked about how the game seems to "tighten up' and play much more difficult some days when it was as though they could do no wrong just a few rounds earlier.  

Regardless of whether someone views this is valid or not, it is how the person experiences these things and it leaves them with the impression with how the game is "set up" or playing that day or week or after the latest update.  

Whether it is an attempt to replicate life like frustrations or built into the algorithm they appear to occur at some point for about everyone. 

I have observed even the best of players during their youtube videos comment on shots or putts being off or swirling the mouse as a sign of confusion … these are not players you would ever expect to 2 putt very often let alone 3 putt … so if the best players are experiencing these type of shots and putts from time to time, then it seems reasonable everyone else does as well.  

• Luckystar5
    1,638 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 3:03 PM

This is a computer game, remembering that, a computer is used, to give you results to a problem, or question , based entirely on all the data that has been imputed into its data banks.  What we are talking about, is the results to a problem, here, it's the shot, or putt.  All the data that has been given, such as the club and ball  selection in use, the attributes to those, such as precision, and balance etc, the amount of power used on the meter, your aiming point, wind speed, and direction, etc, is the inputted data. Your shot results are based on all the above, plus wether or not you hit or miss the ding, and by how much.  Your results are all predetermined the instant ur club hits the ball. Proof of that is, on an iron shot, you instantly get a heartbeat sound, if you inputted all the correct data, the results will be a close to the hole shot, or the dropping or miss of a putt.  So it's correct to say that a missed putt, or shot, is all human error, you simply didn't input the correct data into the problem, to recieve the expected results. 

• el3n1
    4,502 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 3:27 PM

Luckystar5:
    So it's correct to say that a missed putt, or shot, is all human error, you simply didn't input the correct data into the problem, to recieve the expected results. 

If the game didn't have built in "variance or deviation" I would agree with this.  But, I believe you can put in the correct data and get a good result one time and a not so good result another time. 

In part, because I understand that the math/computers using complex algorithms have "dispersion ranges" you will rarely get the exact same result every time...  but you are generally just trying to get in the neighborhood or makeable birdie range.  From there… those who putt the best tend to do the best.  

However, it is also why you can play a shot or putt the same and get different results sometimes good and sometimes bad.  At least that is partly how I understand it...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 3:45 PM

el3n1:
    But, I believe you can put in the correct data and get a good result one time and a not so good result another time. 

This is exactly what makes this game as realistic as it is. Watch any pro tour event and you will see putts you see here. IDK how WGT pulls it off but they are right on the money.

RSS