Forums

Help › Forums

What would be the best course for beginners on stroke play?

Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:45 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • zammy671
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 8:02 AM

I don't know what would be a good course for me, a beginner on stroke play. Can someone please answer this?

EDIT: I tried Kiawah, and it is a frustrating course actually. The 4th or 5th hole had almost impossible to dodge weeds which made by go 7 strokes by the time I finally avoided them

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:39 AM

zammy671:

I don't know what would be a good course for me, a beginner on stroke play. Can someone please answer this?

hi,

i never recommend just one course because then that player skews his average/skill level for that course and it becomes not a true representation of it.

with that said, kiawah and STA seems to be the shorter/easier ones off the short tees

-wgticon

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:51 AM

Oakmont is the best if you want to improve.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:56 AM

A good course to play is Oakmont. If you master that course then you'll do pretty well on the rest of them too. It'll certainly help with the putting. Every other green will seem flat compared to the one's on Oakmont.

Although Icon is right by saying you should play all of them equally. That way you'll become the complete all rounder.

Dazza

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:15 PM

Playing Oakmont as a raw beginner is good if you enjoy beating your head against a brick wall.  Its one of, if not the hardest courses here.

Go with what WGTIcon said.  St. Andrews and Kiawah will be much easier for you and minimize your frustration at first.

• zammy671
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:09 PM

Playing all of them equally is hard since I am possibly the worst putter in the history of this game. I took 17 putts in the first 4 holes at Bethpage, and finished taking 35 putts, and that was just the front nine.

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:09 PM

I tend to play St Andrews when I want a nice relaxing game (except for 17 that soul sucking, ball eating, oh wait.. back on point) but Oakmont will prepare you for challenges to come especially with putting. 

Also I play a lot of Closest To The Hole when I just want a quick game to keep my consecutive days played running.  Sadly I missed Friday so time to start over :D

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2011 6:32 AM

When I first started I concentrated on (but not exclusively) Kiawah and St. Andy.  Kiawah will test your putting but usually has low winds.  St. A will teach you to play in wind.  As soon as you start feeling good about your game - i.e. mostly pars, start playing all the other courses.  IMO trying to master Oakmont right out of the box will be extremely frustrating.  My humble opinion.  C

• suki15
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2011 9:19 AM

kiawah and st andrews  and cabo but whatever you do dont try to pitch as it is dire also try slow greens it is easier

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2011 2:50 PM

Zammy, you are afflicted by the dreaded WGT disease called cantfrigginputtwortadamnitis and i can guarantee you that it has afflicted most everyone in the community. after a year and a half i can finally say im getting the distance down, but the direction still needs some help.

-G

• PAGES
RSS