Forums

Help › Forums

Out of the bunkers

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:35 AM (5 replies)
  • 2beatudown
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2011 8:22 PM

Why are the disatnces from the bunkers so erratic? You hit it at half strength and it goes 5 yards, then follow it the same and it goes 30. Whats up with that? Any help?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2011 8:59 PM

Half the strength doesn't give you half the distance. More practice and more note taking is needed.

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:14 PM

I treat bunkers on here like i treat real life bunkers. Hit behind the ball and hit it hard.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:15 PM

Sometimes it does.  The key is that the bunkers are different on all courses so you have to get used to each of them.  At Kiawah you might be in what is called hard sand, that plays much like the fairway, maybe 10% decrease in distance at the most.  Some of the bunkers play easy, some impossible, the key is the lie that you are shown, that is the amount of the ball that is below the top of the sand, the more buried the harder to play.  Practice is the key and notes since each course is very different.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:01 PM

2beatudown:

Why are the disatnces from the bunkers so erratic? You hit it at half strength and it goes 5 yards, then follow it the same and it goes 30. Whats up with that? Any help?

hi

bunkers not only vary bycourse but by quality, starting from 15-20, to 50-60...so, practice is by faqr the best advice I can give you

-wgticon

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:35 AM

The bunkers at Congressional are the most difficult for me, practice on them and you will get good at your bunker shots.  However as ICON said they vary by course so 30% at Kiawah isn't the same as 30% at BPB.

RSS