Help › Forums

Introduction including question

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 24 2011 4:46 PM (5 replies)
  • Deinumite
    3 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 7:57 AM

Hi all,

My name is Almar Deinum(ite) from The Netherlands. In real life I don't play golf yet. Nevertheless I like the sport. Unfortunately is too expensive at this moment to join a club and get lessons. 

To play golf online, WGT, is a perfect alternative to learn more about the game.

Question: when I become an amateur? I still a Hack - lvl 9. My average of 150 doesn't mutate either. 

Kind regards,

A. Deinum(ite)

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 12:17 PM

Deinumite:

Hi all,

My name is Almar Deinum(ite) from The Netherlands. In real life I don't play golf yet. Nevertheless I like the sport. Unfortunately is too expensive at this moment to join a club and get lessons. 

To play golf online, WGT, is a perfect alternative to learn more about the game.

Question: when I become an amateur? I still a Hack - lvl 9. My average of 150 doesn't mutate either. 

Kind regards,

A. Deinum(ite)

hi

to move up in tiers/drop your rating, you have to play ranked stroke rounds. either single or multiplayer or tournaments or CC rounds

-wgticon

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 3:02 PM

As Icon alluded to, you have to play ranked rounds in order to move up tiers.

As you get better and 1) lower your average and 2) raise your level, you will move up in tier assignments. There is no public formula for when the tiers change (wgt keeps the algorithm secret), but if you search for related threads using the 'search' box at the top right, you will see a lot of information about 'roughly' when it will happen. 

Level progression happens with ANY play, practice and ranked

Average only counts scores for ranked rounds.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 4:18 PM

VanHalenLover:
    As you get better and 1) lower your average and 2) raise your level, you will move up in tier assignments

Hmmm?  How would you explain a player with an 85.+ average and level 80 still in the Hack tier??  

The answer is he only has played 3 ranked rounds and lots and lots of blitzes.

Obviously experience level plays no part in the tier promotion criteria. 

But the number of ranked rounds played does get factored in.

Deinumite, as WGTIcon alluded to, lower your stroke average in stroke play ranked rounds to move up in tier assignment.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 7:57 PM

andyson:
    Obviously experience level plays no part in the tier promotion criteria. 

It was promoted  as a combination of the two, from WGT mods and in the announcements. What the weightings are for each I do not know, nor does anyone else on here other than WGT employees. Obviously the players average is weighted very heavily, but I still understand that both are used in the calculation - at least, until someone from WGT corrects that.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 4:46 PM

VanHalenLover:
    It was promoted  as a combination of the two, from WGT mods and in the announcements. What the weightings are for each I do not know, nor does anyone else on here other than WGT employees. Obviously the players average is weighted very heavily, but I still understand that both are used in the calculation - at least, until someone from WGT corrects that.

How's this from WGT?

"Levels are separate from your Tier (Hack, Amateur, Pro, etc.) which are based on your skill and score history.  The Level system is designed to be fair to all players, based on their love of the game and not just their skill."  WGT Announcement Sept. 2010

Can't be any clearer than that.

RSS