Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:54 AM

thanks --- maybe part of the problem is that I'm not a great putter in "real" golf either!  :-)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:17 AM

bearclaw27:

When deciding on break, I ususallly count how many holes outside the cup I need to 'borrow' in order to make the putt..

For example...Lets say I have a putt which is playing like 10 feet and the dots are moving across left to right in a slow but consistent manner...In this case I might borrow 1 cup to the left...

You meaning the witdth of the cup? You have say a 10ft putt, If the grid square is say 2ft and the break is breaking two ft right in the distance of one grid (2ft) how much do you compensate?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:23 AM

Not sure you can quantify putting in this game similar to the way you play other shots.  Other than the lack of spike marks or shoe indentations WGT putting is very much like the real thing.  You need to get a "feel" for it.  It's less cerebral than the rest of this game... more gut feeling.  More sensing a break and its severity than ascribing hard numbers and calculations to it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:44 AM

Doublemochaman:
    You need to get a "feel" for it.  It's less cerebral than the rest of this game... more gut feeling.  More sensing a break and its severity than ascribing hard numbers and calculations to it

Truer words were n'er spake, DMM.  Get the speed right and it's easier than it sounds.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:22 AM

Doublemochaman:

Not sure you can quantify putting in this game similar to the way you play other shots.  Other than the lack of spike marks or shoe indentations WGT putting is very much like the real thing.  You need to get a "feel" for it.  It's less cerebral than the rest of this game... more gut feeling.  More sensing a break and its severity than ascribing hard numbers and calculations to it.

Absolutely true, DD, which explains why it's the most inconsistent part of this game for me.  Some days I 'have it', and everything goes right in the middle, and other days I don't, and everything is close, but not in.  I have a pretty good formula for getting the distance right.. it's the break that causes me problems when I'm missing.  Your explanation is right on the money- unlike the rest of the game, simple math doesn't solve your problems!

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2011 4:32 PM

TracyMax:

[ You meaning the witdth of the cup?

yes, the width of the cup...

As the others have said, putting really is a 'feel' thing which you have to develop over time..

Here are some ideas as to how you might improve your feel..I employed this methodology a few months back and it has helped me become a better putter...

First, putts which end up short have no chance to go in. Second, putts on the 'low side' of the hole (breaking away from the hole) also have no chance..

So, speed is key to good putting.. Try to consistently hit your putts 1-2 feet past the hole.. Putts which end up short have no chance, but neither do putts which are hit way too hard..

Next, try to consistently play a lil too much break (ie over-read the break slightly)..This will ensure that your ball is  always breaking towards the hole..

Then, gradually decrease the amount of break you are playing til your putts start going in, or just missing on the 'high' side of the hole..

Like the guys said, there is no special secret to putting in this game.. However, I used the above methods for the past few months, and I am making more putts..

Hope that helps..

--bear

ps..If all else fails, you can always start calling your putter 'Billy Baroo', kiss it and and say, "Oh billy, billy, billy, this is a big one, don't let me down"...

(:o)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2011 4:53 PM

bearclaw27:

ps..If all else fails, you can always start calling your putter 'Billy Baroo', kiss it and and say, "Oh billy, billy, billy, this is a big one, don't let me down"...

(:o)

It's getting the break wrong more than the speed, but then I guess the two are flip sides of the same coin. Will keep the "billy baroo" idea on the back burner.  :-)

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:21 PM

I ain't kissin no billy's.........  NO WAY NO HOW......... LMFAO!!!

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Fri, Mar 25 2011 12:37 PM

TracyMax:

]  It's getting the break wrong more than the speed, but then I guess the two are flip sides of the same coin. Will keep the "billy baroo" idea on the back burner.  :-)

maybe i'll just go bck to TW2010 or solitare :-)

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Mar 26 2011 6:58 PM

Man, if I could putt just freaking AVERAGE on tournament greens, I'd be pretty good at this... Other green speeds, I do fine...  Tourneys??  No fukkin way... 2 inches short, over the hole, lip-outs... you name it, I do it... I just had a nine hole round where I hit every green, avg distance is inside 10 feet, and I'm -2.  Total distance of putts made- 16 feet.  The first 4 holes, all 4 putts stopped within 6 inches.. none of them went in.. ARGH!!

RSS