Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • onlyahack
    98 Posts
    Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:26 AM

GREAT PUTTING TIPS---I HAVE ONLY BEEN HERE 10 DAYS---THE TIPS JUST TOOK 6 STROKES OFF MY 'BEST' TO DATE--I KNOW IT WAS ONLY A PRATICE ROUND--BUT--HEY---US 'OLD RETIRED' GUYS ARE GOING TO HAVE TROUBLE WITH CLICKING ANYWAY SO SHOOTING A 43 IS A GREAT START

IS IT ME OR ARE THESE SURVEYS FOR CREDITS A BIG 'SCAM'  --I DO ONE--IT ASKS 20 QUESTIONS--THEN SAY I DON'T QUALIFY----20 QUESTIONS IS A SURVEY

• beefy1966
    1 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 6:25 PM

Thanks for the tip, very helpful.......

• Methasulem
    2 Posts
    Fri, Feb 25 2011 1:05 AM

you can pay me to be your coach . . . . ;)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:03 AM

nivlac:

Hope this was helpful to some of you.  Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

What no one explains is the side to side dot movement on the grid. Sure tells you how fast and how quick a putt breaks but what does the difference in the distance of the dots tell you? Why do they change within the same grid? Sometimes I miss figure distance, but it's the side to side breaking that I have the most trouble with.

• GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:22 AM

TracyMax:

What no one explains is the side to side dot movement on the grid. 

That's because there ain't simple rules 4 side 2 side dot movement. The only thing I can say about is; the faster the greenspeeds, the higher the impact.

TracyMax:

Why do they change within the same grid? 

That's because the green itself varies, some parts are more elevated than others.

You can make notes 2 about your putts, so next time you're overthere you already have info how the putt will break.

Finally, it will help a lot 2 visualise your putts......and try and try...and try again :)

Cheers, GC

• GatortheBuckeye
    1 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 8:14 PM

OH MY GOSH - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I've wanted to punch my laptop in the face, due too such crappy putting; long, short, longer, even longer, triple, quad, "reached your maximum limit!!!  I HATED IT!!!

But your tips are working great!!!  I holed my next put immediately after reading...

GatortheBuckeye (now GatortheGreatful - to you good Sir)

• GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 9:28 PM

1 addition 2 side 2 side dot movement. Downhill putts are affected more than uphill putts.

• ejswan
    391 Posts
    Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:05 AM

many thanks i have been trying to find a more constance putting you have help me get a better idea on how to address this problem  ty   

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Mar 21 2011 7:12 AM

nivlac:
    This tutorial was written for the WGT Starter Putter on Standard Green Speeds.

Great tutorial but I need help in another area. I've been playing for months and still can't figure out the dot system on the side to side scale. I know it tells how fast and how hard the break is, but I can't seem to come up with a system that gets me very close. I almost always underestimate the break and speed of the break even when I feel I've over compensated for it. Once in a while I get close, but honestly, it is just a W.A.Guess most of the time. I am at a point where I'm not gong to improve unless I can get better on this issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Mon, Mar 21 2011 12:34 PM

TracyMax:

nivlac:
    This tutorial was written for the WGT Starter Putter on Standard Green Speeds.

Great tutorial but I need help in another area. I've been playing for months and still can't figure out the dot system on the side to side scale. I know it tells how fast and how hard the break is, but I can't seem to come up with a system that gets me very close. I almost always underestimate the break and speed of the break even when I feel I've over compensated for it. Once in a while I get close, but honestly, it is just a W.A.Guess most of the time. I am at a point where I'm not gong to improve unless I can get better on this issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,

When deciding on break, I ususallly count how many holes outside the cup I need to 'borrow' in order to make the putt..

For example...Lets say I have a putt which is playing like 10 feet and the dots are moving across left to right in a slow but consistent manner...In this case I might borrow 1 cup to the left... If they are moving faster, I might borrow 2 cups...I know that sounds overly simplified, but if you take note (mental or on paper) of the amount of cups you need to borrow, and make adjustments accordingly, you will begin to get a 'feel' for the break..

If I was playing a 5 foot putt with similar break (speed of dots), I might only borrow 1/2 a cup..

Just like on the pro tour, putting is 10% mechanics and 90%  feel... The 10% is hitting the ding bar (or intentionally missing it in the right spot)... The feel involves plugging all the variables (length, uphill/downhill, movement of the dots, and your experience) into the computer which is your brain, and then executing the shot...

Also, a lil luck from time to time doesn't hurt..You can enhance your chances at getting lucky if you always try to hit your putts 1-2 feet past the hole... That way, if you miss the 'ding bar', the putt still has a chance to go in.. This is especially important on longer putts when you are more likely to misread the break slightly..

Lastly, if you are a good putter in REAL Golf, it seems to help..

hope that all helps ya..

peace

--bear 

RSS