Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 5:46 AM

CMcCartney727:
    Man, if I could putt just freaking AVERAGE on tournament greens, I'd be pretty good at this... Other green speeds, I do fine...  Tourneys??  No fukkin way... 2 inches short, over the hole, lip-outs... you name it, I do it..

These are 2 putting scale I developed a long time ago after I originally joined. It is currently designed for the Redwood, Daytona (Daytona also has a 15, 30 and 60 scale that is not shown which is the one I use. 15 is on .5 scale) and I have recently added the Ghost. Remember, green speed must be factored in when utilizing this tool. Basically mine has a tiny lip and fits on the lower edge of my laptop screen. Instructions are on the first page. 

Requires;

1. Microsoft Excel or Excel Viewer
    2. Printer
    3. Metric Ruler that shows the MM lines.
    4. A bit of patience
    DO NOT USE THE IMAGES POSTED They will not work

I have posted this before and for some it is a benefit and others it is not. If you or anyone would like this send me a private message with your email. I will gladly forward it

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 8:16 AM

Just got the WGT SD balls. Anyone know what the scale next to the ball that says "hits" is and why?  I lost a ball on Kiawah for some reason and it did not go into a hazard of any kind.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 8:40 AM

TracyMax:

Just got the WGT SD balls. Anyone know what the scale next to the ball that says "hits" is and why?  I lost a ball on Kiawah for some reason and it did not go into a hazard of any kind.

That is the life of your ball.They wear out.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:04 AM

SGTBilko:

really, did not know golf balls "wore out".  never wore out a ball I guess. had not had the one that "died" on Kiawah very long.  How long do they "live"?  :-)

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:23 AM

TracyMax:

SGTBilko:

really, did not know golf balls "wore out".  never wore out a ball I guess. had not had the one that "died" on Kiawah very long.  How long do they "live"?  :-)

Depends on their "Durability" rating. The higher the rating the longer they last.

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:59 AM

I've got a putting question, got anyone who cares to weigh in.  Does every ball putt the same way?  My belief has always been that different balls putt differently, but I had a discussion with a pretty knowledgable player last night, and he maintained that every ball putts the same.  The subject came up because I had just switched from the Calloway (S) to the Calloway (Z), and I've barely missed a putt since the switch.

Now I'm a "feel" putter, meaning I don't putt for the ding, so maybe that makes a difference.  I developed my belief when I first started because I noticed that starter balls didn't break as much as balls with dots on putts.  This led me to believe that each ball was different, even on the greens.  I can tell you I couldn't make anything with the original legend balls.  Of course that could be just in my mind....which has a tendency to get a bit "creative".

So, does anyone think feel, durability, spin, and/or power in a ball effects putts?

(my apology if this has been previously discussed elsewhere)

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:41 PM

Good question, B... It's got me to thinking... I started sucking on tourney greens in the last 3 weeks or so.. right after I started playing the Callaway balls.   The first few months I putted these greens I had no trouble... now?  Ugh... Maybe I go back to the Tour SD balls and see if my putting improves.

By the way, I'm a 'feel' putter, too.. I feel like throwing up after I putt...

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:46 PM

Hey CM, thanks for the input bro.

I've now played 4 ranked rounds and a few AS games with the Z ball.  In my ranked rounds, I've hit 9, 11, 10, and 14 putts per nine.  3 of those were at BPB and the bad one was at KI.  I consider myself a decent putter normally, but that's better than my norm.  It might be all in my head, but I swear this ball works better for me than others, at least on the green.......

I laughed at your "throwing up comment".....I know better.....

Come on smart people, tell me if the ball makes a difference in putting?  I'm OK if it's just psychological, but I don't think I'm that much of a headcase?

• GGO2
    27 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 7:23 PM

MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

As a rough guideline, consider the following for flat putts above 10 ft,

slow : stated distance + 1 forth of that dist,

standard : stated distance + 1 sixth of that dist,

fast : stated distance,

very fast : stated distance - 1 sixth of that dist,

tournament : stated distance - 1 forth of that dist.

Clearly, any upward or downward slope (calling for this approx. formula : distance number in feet plus or minus height number in inches = putting distance number in feet), not to mention side slants, must also be factored in.

I hope that will help :-)

• GGO2
    27 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 7:26 PM

The Calloway z balls are the absolute best all around. End of story :-)

RSS