Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • klkooh
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 3:45 AM

YankeeJim:

Aiming seems to be the biggest problem for most. The different ways to get the right distance seem to work for most (I use the move method laid out here) but the breaks are hard to figure without seeing them 100 times. I've been trying to figure out a consistent way to evaluate each break and what I find works fairly well is this--

Start by looking at the putt this way. The break is in the direction of the arrows.  It isn't always possible but between the front and reverse views it usually is. Then gauge how fast the dots are crossing the line.

Now, if you aim by missing the ding then you gauge your miss by the speed of the dots. If you putt by dinging, which I do, then you have a reference in the speed of the dots to further adjust the aim. That's where the practice comes in but looking at your putts this way at least gives you a common aiming factor for all of the putts you see. 

Yeah I"m also intrigued by YJ method, i'm not quite sure about the second line as it looks like it would be well wide hi-side of the hole.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:54 AM

Adalanar:
    Would be great if you could spent some more words on it as I  do not get what you tried to explain

Understandable, Adalanar, I'm not sure I'm explaining myself correctly.

Notice the line that runs in front of the cup and the one that runs away from it. Now, draw a line from where you are standing to the line that runs in front but use the shortest line possible. In effect, this line would be parallel to the one that runs away from the cup. The example above shows the before and after.

This is not your aim, it's that starting point for aiming. Note how fast the dots are crossing this line. This is what you need to adjust for because if you hit that putt as it is aimed (the parallel line) you will miss on the low side of the cup. So, if you like aiming by missing you would need to figure out how much to miss by based on the speed of the dots. If you are a dinger then that speed will tell you how much more you have to aim by. 

This isn't as much about actually aiming as it is giving you a common starting point for aiming your putt. It doesn't fit all scenarios either. There was a post a long time ago about "putting the grid." I never really understood what that meant but the way the greens are mapped starts with a flat grid. Start your aim the same way and adjust accordingly. Eventually it will become second nature to set that line and then look at the break.

Pay attention to the start of the putt and the end of the putt. Starting off on the wrong line is easy to do if you don't pay attention to the first few feet and how many times have you seen the putt turn away from the cup in the last 2-3 feet?  

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Sun, Jul 31 2011 7:12 PM

regarding aiming, i drag the marker past the hole and take a "guess" as to where i need to aim.  then i literally start my finger at the ball and drag it down towards the hole along the line, imagining i'm tracing the ball's movement as it gets closer to the hole.  faster dots means more movement for each block.  i do that all the way to the hole and i've generally got a good idea where it will end up.  if it's not lined up correctly, drag the marker to compensate, and re-trace the line with my finger until i'm aiming at the point where tracing my finger takes it right in the cup.

then hope you're right and hope you've got the distance right (and ding the meter).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 31 2011 10:11 PM

klkooh:
    i'm not quite sure about the second line as it looks like it would be well wide hi-side of the hole.

On that particular putt the second line was not enough, the actual aim was almost to the 2nd grid line but you can't see that unless the dots are moving. If they're moving at least slowly that line works. The putt speed is crucial too.

• chiefxyz
    58 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2011 12:44 PM

yes  thts what i.m getting

has anyone noticed when you change meter distance, part of the meter will flash blue any ideas?

• TheLonewolf01
    8 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:06 AM

Hi,

I got this info from another of our club members, I found it helpful and hope you do to :

Get yourself a roll of masking tape and cut a bit off, the length of the power bar. Cut 1/3 off it length wise just so it's nice and narrow. Now mark lines on the top at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 length. Then on the bottom mark 1/3 and 2/3 along.

Stick that on your monitor just under the power bar. Your putting especially will massively improve now you can see where e.g. 10 and 20 feet are exactly on a 30 foot bar. 

---

With putting in general, if you're going down hill, add extra bend for curved putts.

Also, as a basic guide add on a foot for each inch up hill and take off a bit more than a foot per inch down hill. You can do roughly the same for wind on long iron shots (1mph to 1 yard).

• Corbys
    3 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 8:28 AM

hey there WGT as A person that has never been on a golf course in my life other thatn put-put golf I am really struggling with my short game.  Is there any possible way to add a putting green to this game, I do really enjoy playing but I could use some practice on the putting end of my game.   Thank You Corby S.

• TripHorton
    2 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:59 PM

Thanks, this was helpful

• toesmcjimmie1212
    35 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2011 6:58 PM

thanku soo much man

• scotty4537
    10 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2011 3:02 PM

Extremely useful for all new players