Forums

Help › Forums

help with a new network card.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 18 2018 5:12 AM (3 replies)
  • Dave33200
    2,955 Posts
    Sat, Nov 17 2018 6:54 PM

I thought I’d ask here as many members know a lot more about computers than I do.

Over the last few weeks my laptops wireless card has been dropping my connection a few times a day. I’m wanting to up-grade my card but after doing a search I have some questions.

I have an ASUS G74SX laptop with an AzureWave AW-NB037H network card. I’ve read somewhere on the net that you have to make sure your computer does not have a whitelist in the BIOS, but I have no idea on how to check if my computer has a whitelist or not? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I was looking at one on Amazon (Intel 7260.HMWG.R Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) but it looks like it is a 2014 model, are there any newer, better cards that will work? I have a Netgear AC2300 (R7000P) router.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sat, Nov 17 2018 11:43 PM

Hi Dave

Firstly, if you're not sure what you're doing do not change BIOS settings. You can do more harm than good.

If you are using a wireless connection and you say it's dropping out "a few" times a day then I don't think you have a problem.  Rather than paying for something you don't need check that your drivers are up to date . .

HERE

and also check to see if your laptop has a battery saving setting. Here is mine

make sure your laptop doesn't turn it off itself. It makes little sense paying for an external wireless card unless you have range issues.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Rich

famous last words:
    (
    I’ve read somewhere on the net )

• Dave33200
    2,955 Posts
    Sun, Nov 18 2018 4:48 AM

Thank you Rich.

It looks like my computer was turning it off as the box was checked under power management. I don't know how this happened as this problem just started about two weeks ago. Must have been on a update.

Thank you very much

Dave. 

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sun, Nov 18 2018 5:12 AM

Hi Dave

A pleasure, glad you got it sorted.

Dave33200:

Must have been on a update.

That could be the reason. It's happened to me before.

Cheers!

Rich

RSS