Forums

Help › Forums

Meter Speed and old age

Tue, Aug 9 2011 6:39 PM (37 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 1 2011 3:16 PM

What is their advertising demographic?  Before they redefined it to include 13-18 yr olds on this site I thought they were targeting golfers.  61% of golfers are over age 50.  And 37% of golfers are over age 60!  Source.

According to the Alexa Audience data on wgt.com. the site is lagging badly at attracting the over 50 group.

Like I said, there is an opportunity.

Erm right back at ya too, why am I using Callaways with my Raptures?  That need doesn't change

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 1 2011 4:39 PM

25-54 used to be where the advertising dollar brought the most return. By " lagging badly at attracting the over 50 group" you would think this is still the case.

My point about the better clubs being slower was that there's no reason for WGT to change their program. You wan't slow, pay for the disposable balls and use semi-accurate clubs. Harsh and unfair (?) I suppose, but it is what it is. 

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:35 PM

clubs are clubs, I have never seen golf clubs with a tag that says you have to swing faster with these clubs. I'm 73 with 1 eye and it is a difficult time trying to time the meter, but to be a little competitive I now have the best equipment there is. Good day's and a lot of bad day's.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:57 PM

YankeeJim:
    My point about the better clubs being slower was that there's no reason for WGT to change their program. You wan't slow, pay for the disposable balls and use semi-accurate clubs.

No reason?  Try $$$.  MY point is there is an un-tapped market for better(longer, more accurate) clubs.

Where do you see WGT ads anyway?

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Mon, Aug 1 2011 6:37 PM

duffer66:

clubs are clubs, I have never seen golf clubs with a tag that says you have to swing faster with these clubs. I'm 73 with 1 eye and it is a difficult time trying to time the meter, but to be a little competitive I now have the best equipment there is. Good day's and a lot of bad day's.

I know the topic was meter speed and old age, but your post is talking about real life clubs. And clubs are not just clubs. You may not have seen golf clubs with a tag that say you have to swing these clubs faster. But if you see a Driver let's say with stiff shaft and a lie angle of only 8.5 degrees you know or you should know that you have to swing that club much faster than normal just to get the ball airborne.

As for here you must not have a lot of bad days as you are a tour master with an average around 63.5. 

• FuzzyBallz
    179 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2011 12:37 AM

When I read back through some of the post I wonder if making a point or showing one point is more beneficial then another might have gotten off track to what the original poster of the topic was trying or hoping to find it.

Fredyourman asked - - - - - if maybe possibly, could be at some point in time.

"I am Sixty Two years old and disabled, now I love the game my only problem is that I would like to move up to some of the better clubs, The problem is that all the good stuff has a high meter speed.

Yes I know that is part of the challenge but I persionaly will never be able to use these clubs with high meter speed.

So what I am asking is it not possible to at least make a few of the good clubs available with a slow swing meter.

I am sure there are more than me in this position and would love to inprove their clubs."

I hope we spend as much time helping this fellow player out as much as we do throwing out facts and figures. I think he is just looking for a little friendly advice and/or maybe folks at WGT to toss a bit of info his way.

As for Fredyourman I can see where he is coming from, with age comes certain things that can not be changed no matter how much we want to. eye sight goes, as does reflexes, as does fine motor skills, as does eye hand coordination all part of getting older. After 50 does not mean we don't still like to game, just means we have to take a different approach.

Fredyourman I feel your pains with the meter, when we can't catch the ding with a wedge that we have played since level 1 / why would we spend 25 - 30 - 40 or even 50 dollars for something we know we can't use, we won't and that in and of it's self is more of what Fredyourman is trying to say.

Why over look or leave out a group that spend their days 200 feet or less from their front door - tap into that market they will spend 20 to 30 dollars every month to be entertained and the 50 plus age group i.e. babyboomers is a huge market share not tapped into. We don't want to rip 320 or 340 plus drives down the fairway, we are not looking for hitting the cup every other shot from 140 yards plus out every shot, we are not looking to make average score in the sub-60's or high 50's. We are looking to have fun, play some golf, meet up with some friends for a friendly game of Alt. shot. Blow some money every month to have fun, big deal if we shoot bogey golf we don't care we are not trying to be the best imaginary golfer on an imaginary course, we just looking to have some fun and try to keep it in the fairway on a par 4 and get it on the green in 3 so we can 2 or 3 putt. Laugh and joke around is that really to much to ask we don't want to compete in the Tourneys, we don't want to win every hole, let alone every match we play.

We already or just about have everything paid off - we just looking for a place to toss away a few of our retirement dollars. There is about 77.3 million of us just in the USA, WGT if you only get 1 percent of us here and playing and we spend 25 dollars a month, what does that do to your PROFIT Margins, that is something WORTH thinking about maybe. I have already spent 40 dollars this month give me a reason to spend 20 next month, or I can go to an all you can eat buffet 3 times. The money is on the table WGT - only question is you going to walk away and leave money on the table, what say you WGT if you get only 7,000 of us coming here every month spending 30 dollars times 12 months. I don't know is it worth it "Only You Can Make That Call"?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:51 AM

andyson:
    No reason?  Try $$.  MY point is there is an un-tapped market for better(longer, more accurate) clubs.

Ya, good thought. A one time purchase that will allow you to use the free balls. Good way to dry up a revenue stream.

andyson:

Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't and am missing whatever point this makes. 

@Fuzzy-77 million retirees and disabled types looking to "toss away a few of our retirement dollars?"  Where did that come from? I highly doubt you speak for the rest of them especially given that SS benefits haven't seen so much as a 1 cent increase in 3 years, let alone a cost of living adjustment.  

With the nitwits in Washington fouling up the economy as they are I really wonder how much of that retirement income is really going to stay disposable. Maybe if you're in a gated community somewhere in good weather with golf carts to get you around instead of $4/gal gasoline machine you would have a case. I doubt those 77 million spenders are all there though. Just a WAG.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:13 AM

YankeeJim:
    Ya, good thought. A one time purchase that will allow you to use the free balls. Good way to dry up a revenue stream.

You missed my point, I still use a ball with lots of feel (Callaways) with my Raptures, I would still use a ball with with lots of feel with the new clubs.  That need does NOT go away.

YankeeJim:

andyson:

Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't and am missing whatever point this makes. 

When you brought up the terms "advertising demographic" and "advertising dollar" I assumed,wrongly it appears, you were talking about advertising by WGT.

Fuzzyballs,  I agree pretty much agree with everything you said.  You get it.  But there are some of us who tried long and hard to qualify for the Opens but didn't make it.  There is still some competitiveness remaining, though our physical skills have diminished.

Although we may debate how big or small the market is until the cows come home, there is a demand for better clubs with a slower meter.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:18 AM

andyson:
    When you brought up the terms "advertising demographic" and "advertising dollar" I assumed,wrongly it appears, you were talking about advertising by WGT.

This was their target audience as they put out there. I think it was during one of the interviews with Chang or Nelson a while ago-can't remember exactly  (old age.) There was a small discussion here about it and how it might not be relevant in today's baby boomer retiring age.

As far as the meter speed, what about another ball to slow it down further instead of slowing the club down? Maybe one with reduced specs as a trade off?

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2011 8:27 AM

i am 60 august 4  i am not in verry good shape after 2 working accidents.but i know i will never win any tourny free or otherwise. but this game keeps me alert some day i play bad some days well i am fairty good able to compete with some of the best Master and Tour Master out there i play mostly with friends that started same time period has me   new equipment and vgood balls made a v big differance in my game.nobody put a gun to my head to purchuse stuff.  i am in love w this game  i dont mind buying balls ect.no mater it keeps me home i dont spend moneay for nothing.to all of us 50 and over  .i think we mostly play to have fun and talk to verry interesting people Tom Watson his still playing with the kids  and he look good.good golfing out there from Montreal Quebec

RSS