Forums

Help › Forums

putter pal is not my pal....

Tue, May 22 2012 6:23 PM (55 replies)
  • paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 7:20 PM

Surely we can ask WGT, They can hardly keep it a secret, If wind efffects putts surely they  can tell us, Then all will be revealed.

• MaSeVierBal
    157 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 6:29 AM

No idea on the winds, that I've noticed!

I use Putter Pal in conjunction with a formula, don't think I would've sunk the 51ft eagle putt I did today, without the formula OR putter pal.  The other alternative is to make your own scale (there are enough of them on the forum), and save a few cents on Putter Pal.

MSVB

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 6:49 AM

Believe want you want to believe but wind does affect putts, on some holes more than others. Cabo #6 is a good hole to prove this, reasonably flat and if you have a side wind outside 10 feet and don't adjust for it, the ball will miss 99% of the time.

I've only putted 73,594 times in total so I have a lot to learn yet, but less than some.

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 9:38 AM

Ihatecheats:

Believe want you want to believe but wind does affect putts, on some holes more than others. Cabo #6 is a good hole to prove this, reasonably flat and if you have a side wind outside 10 feet and don't adjust for it, the ball will miss 99% of the time.

I've only putted 73,594 times in total so I have a lot to learn yet, but less than some.

As Ihatecheats said, he is using his mind to access the degree that the wind is affecting his putts. I respect that..... but .... I still want WGT to tell us it is so. 

I think this should be something pursued by us to get the real facts.

I myself as everyone else does, adjusts for each stroke and putt with their minds. We have players here that are adjusting for this with putts now and I just never reasoned that it was a factor because of not knowing if the green is blocking the wind with bunkers or hills around the green, or if the green is in a valley etc...

This wind thing could be only a factor on.... lets say Kawaii 18 where the green is noticeably next to the ocean and it is on a high area above the fairway. I can't remember ever having abnormal putting there...... but  ....I should if this wind scenario is valid.

When the WGT tells me it is a factor, then I will be more apt to figure it in to what my mind has to consider for a putt.

I am thinking that if I factor it in though, the majority of the time it will not be a factor and percentages will make it so I miss more putts by factoring it in. I will try it today on Kawaii to see if I notice anything. 

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 10:58 AM

Next time you just miss a putt or lip out then check the wind direction, something that you should do BEFORE every putt by the way, and wonder if you factored in the % of the wind, would that putt have dropped?

In my experience, if the putt just misses right then the wind is almost always coming from the left and if there isn't any reasonable explanation as to why the putt missed , ie missed ding, misread slope, wrong distance, etc. etc. then what else could it be?

The longer the putt then the more influence the wind factor has IMHO.

Each to his or her own regarding this subject but if an all time great, not me I hasten to add, says there is a wind factor in this then I would tend to believe him.

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 11:26 AM

How come in the good few years that this game is out that we still do not have a definitive answer as to  wind effecting putts, Could WGT step in here and give us an answer PLEASE.

regards Paudie

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 11:45 AM

Ihatecheats:

Next time you just miss a putt or lip out then check the wind direction........

Agree 100% -  next time you hit that 40 footer on one of Andy's massive greens and it stops right on the edge of the cup, look at the wind,  I'll wager it's blowing  against the direction the ball's just came from.

Johnny.

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 1:30 PM

Ihatecheats:

Next time you just miss a putt or lip out then check the wind direction, something that you should do BEFORE every putt by the way, and wonder if you factored in the % of the wind, would that putt have dropped?

In my experience, if the putt just misses right then the wind is almost always coming from the left and if there isn't any reasonable explanation as to why the putt missed , ie missed ding, misread slope, wrong distance, etc. etc. then what else could it be?

The longer the putt then the more influence the wind factor has IMHO.

Each to his or her own regarding this subject but if an all time great, not me I hasten to add, says there is a wind factor in this then I would tend to believe him.

There again, we can only assume this is the reason we missed a putt.

If we do put a query into WGT about this, we might as well put in this factor: If you are using an S rated ball, not matter which ball it is, this means spin as in backspin.

Does the S ball backspin have to be compensated for on the green? If you are just missing a putt, is it the backspin of the ball or the wind?......or both?

I know I have to back off on putts because I use a D ball only with no S. I am back to using the 12-D balls because the SD balls didn't have the slower meter speed that I like having. I am fine with no spin that is associated with a ball. The clubs are key in that dept. as far as I am concerned.

I suggest that several of us contact WGT and end this. I am doing it as soon as I post.

By the way, I meant Kiawah not Kawaii in my last post. 

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 1:47 PM

OK, I sent my request in asking about the matters about wind on the green. I also added in a query about S & D balls used in putting.

We will see! 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 1:49 PM

moonreaderman:

If we do put a query into WGT about this, we might as well put in this factor: If you are using an S rated ball, not matter which ball it is, this means spin as in backspin.

Does the S ball backspin have to be compensated for on the green? If you are just missing a putt, is it the backspin of the ball or the wind?......or both?

Other than meter speed, all balls play the same while putting on the green.

It's in the FAQ's as I recall.

RSS