Forums

Help › Forums

putter pal is not my pal....

Tue, May 22 2012 6:23 PM (55 replies)
  • b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 3:57 PM

Wind affects putts, you have one of the best if not greatest players telling you he accounts for wind as well as many others and you choose not to believe.  Ever hit a 25ft putt with what you know is the precise amount of speed, and it dies in the face of the cup, and then look up and see a 27mph wind staring directly in your face.   Doh you say, face palm and move on!

Why does WGT need to weigh on this? 

Cheers,

b0gey

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 4:21 PM

i agree with you, And thats what i posted earlier that i do think wind affects the pace of putts but i didnt think it affected the line if there was crosswinds, WGT should clear this up if they can because there are conflicting views, Would it be any harm to get a definitive answer to clear all this up?

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 4:57 PM

As we are talking about putting on the green then there is no way you can exert any backspin at all on the putting green as there is no facility on WGT to achieve this, not with a putter anyway.

There again, we can only assume this is the reason we missed a putt.

If we do put a query into WGT about this, we might as well put in this factor: If you are using an S rated ball, not matter which ball it is, this means spin as in backspin.

Does the S ball backspin have to be compensated for on the green? If you are just missing a putt, is it the backspin of the ball or the wind?......or both?

I know I have to back off on putts because I use a D ball only with no S. I am back to using the 12-D balls because the SD balls didn't have the slower meter speed that I like having. I am fine with no spin that is associated with a ball. The clubs are key in that dept. as far as I am concerned.

I suggest that several of us contact WGT and end this. I am doing it as soon as I post.

By the way, I meant Kiawah not Kawaii in my last post.

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 6:33 PM

If the S ball has backspin programmed into the ball, thus, it may still have that effect on a green. The programming is in the ball itself......the same with the D ball.

If they can tell me the ball turns off automatically when it is on the green, then there can be no effect on putting.

Maybe the club, the putter, turns this effect off? Who knows. But at some point it has to be turned off.

I think I did notice this effect when I used the Nike ball. The ball shot off my putter a little faster using a Nike ball. I thought about this then. I couldn't stand the Nike ball because it was like using a superball on concrete. I could get used to it but there was nothing I could do about the wild bounces that I had on a couple of holes. This dang ball bounced off a mound on the green like the ball was hitting an asphalt cart path. I have never had any WGT ball do that before.

As I have said before, "I never assume". I sent the query to WGT. Lets let them answer the questions to see what really goes.  

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 6:40 PM

b0geybuster:

Wind affects putts, you have one of the best if not greatest players telling you he accounts for wind as well as many others and you choose not to believe.  Ever hit a 25ft putt with what you know is the precise amount of speed, and it dies in the face of the cup, and then look up and see a 27mph wind staring directly in your face.   Doh you say, face palm and move on!

Why does WGT need to weigh on this? 

Cheers,

b0gey

I have gotten to the point where I expect to hit under par all of the time. I never factored in this wind effect on the green before. These good players could be completely correct but it would be a real kicker if WGT came back saying otherwise. 

On long putts, I mean 30ft +, being perfect is a matter of fractions in your estimate of the way the ball will travel. Blaming it on the wind if you miss can be ruled out if the WGT says otherwise. Then you have to start rethinking. I am not going to change my below par game until WGT says otherwise. 

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 7:57 PM

moonreaderman:

I have gotten to the point where I expect to hit under par all of the time. I never factored in this wind effect on the green before. These good players could be completely correct but it would be a real kicker if WGT came back saying otherwise. 

On long putts, I mean 30ft +, being perfect is a matter of fractions in your estimate of the way the ball will travel. Blaming it on the wind if you miss can be ruled out if the WGT says otherwise. Then you have to start rethinking. I am not going to change my below par game until WGT says otherwise. 

Another approach would be to listen to what your being told and learn from it. 

Distance is a matter of math, so when the math is proven right over 3000+ rounds, you can determine things by logical reasoning.

Long putts in high winds are affected by putts! 

I am horrible putter in the grand scheme of this game, but you can stick with your 1.82 putts per hole till I go blue in the face telling you about this.

Cheers,

b0gey

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 8:45 PM

WGTicon has already stated in the forums that wind can have an effect on putts (this was around a year ago if I recall correctly), if someone wants to spend the time searching I'm sure they could find it.

edit - guess it wasn't too hard to find, this isn't the thread I was thinking of but apparently he addressed it in this thread as well.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 9:01 PM

ta da!

• easternguy
    301 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 9:07 PM

BolloxinBruges,

You'd be a little more credible if you didn't have a couple of scores in the 60s...bahaha

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 10:32 PM

thanks a million for clearing that up Bollox, And thanks you everyone for the info.

Kind regards Paudie

RSS