Forums

Help › Forums

putter pal is not my pal....

Tue, May 22 2012 6:23 PM (55 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 12:40 PM

IMO, yes in real life the wind can move a ball on the green, and maybe affect the putt, but in this game I don't believe it was programmed in 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 12:46 PM

moonreaderman:
    Are you serious MBaggese???

Yes I am.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 12:50 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Go find a 25 mph wind on 11 stimp greens IRL and see if the wind has no effect.

Imagine you're @ a bowling alley (assuming those are basically completely flat)  you have a machine roll a golf ball perfectly straight.  You roll a ball 3 times, once with no wind, once with fans along the right producing a 25 mph wind, and once again w/ fans on opposite side.  Do you think it is going to hit the center pin all 3 times?

Actually saw it on the Golf Channel a few months back, I forget the name of the guys show but will dig it up later and see if I can find a video of it.

Anyways, he placed a fan blowing across his putting turf, fan on moved the ball about 1 inch or so on a 6 footish putt.  And that was just wind blowing over a 12inch? area maybe, not along the whole putting line.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 1:03 PM

Woodoworkery:

IMO, yes in real life the wind can move a ball on the green, and maybe affect the putt, but in this game I don't believe it was programmed in 

All you need to do is play the St andy CTTP that has a 100+ ft putt in high winds twice to see that it IS programmed in...

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 9:17 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Woodoworkery:

All you need to do is play the St andy CTTP that has a 100+ ft putt in high winds twice to see that it IS programmed in...

By the way, I have seen this happen on a PGA Tournament. I know I saw this happen in the 70's once in a Major Tournament. The PGA referee or whatever he is called, let the putt not be called over because the wind was moving the ball noticeably very near to the hole. The ball eventually fell in. It was one of those moments that you will never forget.

But to this issue of the programming of the wind effecting a ball on the green...... 

So let me get this straight, we are to assume it is programmed in without asking WGT?

I am sure that this question should be asked of them. I have a scientific mind. In science, we never assume anything. We have to have proof of what we say or we are looked at like someone that does not have the intelligence to give an opinion.

With this game, I can not see where we could assume that the ball could move one inch or even one foot in distance on any green because of the wind......unless the programmer tells us it is so.

That is the only way we could ever logically solve this riddle.....and it is a riddle no matter how much respect we have for each other as a player.

I personally think it could be programmed in to some degree the same way a ball hit in the air can be effected by the wind is programmed into the program.

The only people that can solve this is WGT.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 11:06 PM

moonreaderman:
    So let me get this straight, we are to assume it is programmed in without asking WGT?

I am sure that this question should be asked of them. I have a scientific mind. In science, we never assume anything. We have to have proof of what we say or we are looked at like someone that does not have the intelligence to give an opinion.

Well, science aside, when you see the wind blowing left to right at 15mph, do you adjust for it?

Or, did you look for answers from WGT to see if the wind would affect the ball flight?

Just curious, not trying to be a smart ass, but if without asking WGT "does wind affect ball flight" and you corrected for it, why would you dismiss wind on a putt?

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 1:17 AM

BolloxInBruges:

I have asked the question before and everybody have said wind is not a factor in putting. Still, I've had some strange putts that could only be explained by wind actually DO affect it.

I will now consider it a fact that wind is to be considered while putting.

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 9:37 AM

The wind definitly has an effect on the pace of putts but only head winds in your face or back, It will never send a putt offline thou in my opinion, So If you have a moderate wind right in your face it will slow your putt down a small bit, Likewise If you have a moderate wind on your back,It will speed your putt up a small bit, Any crosswinds do not effect the pace or line.

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 10:48 AM

aceydeucey:

Does the Puttter Pal come with instructions on how to use it?

When you combine the putter pal with the great putting scales designed by RUNWME and found HERE , you can get fantastic putting results!...Good Luck

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 12:28 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Go find a 25 mph wind on 11 stimp greens IRL and see if the wind has no effect.

Imagine you're @ a bowling alley (assuming those are basically completely flat)  you have a machine roll a golf ball perfectly straight.  You roll a ball 3 times, once with no wind, once with fans along the right producing a 25 mph wind, and once again w/ fans on opposite side.  Do you think it is going to hit the center pin all 3 times?

that depends...did they put the bumpers in the gutters?

RSS