Help › Forums

Complete Novice

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 4 2011 6:27 AM (9 replies)
  • ragandboneman
    59 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:08 AM

Hi All

Never played a round of golf in my life before , but for some reason or other  , over the past 4 or 5 months I seem to have grown a massive desire to start playing , and I've just turned 54 . Can't afford clubs or lessons yet ( but I'm working on that one ) , so this is the nearest I can get to actually playing . Hopefully I can improve my game , cos at the moment it's not very good to say the least . So I can't wait to actually play in a tourny .

Cheers

Bob

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:50 AM

Most driving ranges have clubs you can use. Hit the local one and whack a few if you really want to get hooked.  All it takes is that one good swing and perfect hit, accident or otherwise, to keep you coming back. ;-)

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 9:02 AM

I got my clubs from the local tip. You wouldn't believe the selection they had, some were as new. They charged me £5 for a dozen clubs complete with bag.

• ragandboneman
    59 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 9:51 AM

Cheers Piz................I may do that , theres one not far from me

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 9:54 AM

ragandboneman:

Hi All

Never played a round of golf in my life before , but for some reason or other  , over the past 4 or 5 months I seem to have grown a massive desire to start playing , and I've just turned 54 . Can't afford clubs or lessons yet ( but I'm working on that one ) , so this is the nearest I can get to actually playing . Hopefully I can improve my game , cos at the moment it's not very good to say the least . So I can't wait to actually play in a tourny .

Cheers

Bob

I don't know if you have thrift stores like The Salvation Army  and others like we have here But if you do that is a good place to look for clubs. Not too long ago I bought an old set of Harvey Pennick golf clubs at a local thrift store for $1 a club. I got a 3 wood 5 wood and a full set of irons for $10. A few weeks before that I bought a full set of Ben Hogan Edge irons 3-pw for $9. If you have a similar store in you area I would check it out.  

• ragandboneman
    59 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 10:30 AM

Yeh , we have a few charity shops where I live , so I'll check those out aswell as the rubbish tip . Thanks for the help everyone

Bob

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 1:15 PM

Hey also go to PAWN SHOPS..... I was in one the other day and they had a set of cobras ....full set with metal woods and the bag....looked liked they were hardly used and they were only 50 bucks !

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 2:02 PM

ragandboneman:
    so this is the nearest I can get to actually playing . Hopefully I can improve my game ,

I played golf IRL long before playing WGT, and it has really improved my real golf game. Not sure it would work in reverse, but I would think so.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2011 2:05 PM

sixkiller:
    I played golf IRL long before playing WGT, and it has really improved my real golf game.

Uncanny how this works but it helped my short game a ton. I carry a 60w now and just got my son the Cleveland 60w last Christmas. It's as good IRL as it is here.  :-)

• ragandboneman
    59 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2011 6:27 AM

Thanks guys . All this talk about golf now , I realy want to get out there and give it a go . I have the next 2 weeks off now , so I,ll be going round every rubbish tip , charity shop and pawn shop I can find ( in between decortating.............yah for me ) . Thanks again .

Cheers

Bob

RSS