Forums

Help › Forums

Drop, after going in water.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:12 AM (9 replies)
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:51 AM

What's the rule here? I was 200 yards from the flag on the 18th hole at Congressional. I went for the pin as always but clicked late. The ball landed in the middle of the green seemed to hit a hard patch and bounced straight into the water. I was surprised to be taking my next shot from back 200 yards up the fairway again. Surely that isn't right.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2011 1:50 PM

piztaker:

What's the rule here? I was 200 yards from the flag on the 18th hole at Congressional. I went for the pin as always but clicked late. The ball landed in the middle of the green seemed to hit a hard patch and bounced straight into the water. I was surprised to be taking my next shot from back 200 yards up the fairway again. Surely that isn't right.

I am not an expert but I think it's the rule where ball enters water. At certain angles, drops come into play and at other you go back to the original spot.

-wgticon

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2011 8:03 PM

piztaker:
    What's the rule here?

When a ball crosses the margin of the hazard (in real golf), the player always has choices or options.  Here there we do not get an options...so we get whatever the program defaults to.  It might not be what you would have picked, but its the same for everyone and that makes it fair.  Hitting another ball from the previous spot is always an option in real golf.  

Joey       

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:15 AM

I just made a similar shot yesterday at CCC, but my ball went into the water to the left of the pin, it put me about 45 yards back on the other side of the water, under some trees (no interference) into some 30/40 rough.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:14 AM

MBaggese:

I just made a similar shot yesterday at CCC, but my ball went into the water to the left of the pin, it put me about 45 yards back on the other side of the water, under some trees (no interference) into some 30/40 rough.

I did another one today. This time I was put in the rough on the left. There seems no logic too it.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:49 AM

Anyone had this one ?    Kiawa  17'th ,  fanned it ,  blooop.  It drops me back on the tee-box side of the water in a 30/40% sand  at 180 Yards.  Not pretty.....at all.

• Udo1
    123 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 1:24 PM

According to rule 26-1 you have the following options (see R&A Rules of Golf):

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or 

b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or 

c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole. 

It would be nice to have these options here too. The problem is that a lot of real life golfers don't know the rules either.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 2:18 PM

TheAceFactor:

Anyone had this one ?    Kiawa  17'th ,  fanned it ,  blooop.  It drops me back on the tee-box side of the water in a 30/40% sand  at 180 Yards.  Not pretty.....at all.

See, I brought this up once before too, it's against the rules of golf to drop into a hazard...only explanation I can think of is the sand it drops you in is not considered a hazard, which is defintely odd being in 30/40.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2011 2:52 PM

One of the guys in my Alt shot game on the 8th at Beth... hit it in the water... the game dropped him in the 40/50% rough on the right hand side before the water...so he had to hit over the water again (which is understood), but out of heavy rough...hmmm. In situations like that, you should get the option of another Tee shot.

Cheers

Roger

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:12 AM

Udo1:
    According to rule 26-1 you have the following options (see R&A Rules of Golf):

Same under USGA rules...One other option is to play the ball from the hazard. 

Joey

RSS