Forums

Help › Forums

Question for WGT

Sat, Feb 9 2019 4:45 AM (26 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,302 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 11:07 AM

Woodoworkery:
    Are these tools legal to use when playing a game?

Not much different than using a notebook - which WGT will sell you!  Also, the pros have caddies that pretty much do all this one way or the other - excepth they probably can't estimate the wind speed and direction as closely as WGT shows!

BTW - this bears no relation to using slow meter balls and comparing that to an "auto-dinger".  Some of us just don't have the eye-finger coordination we used too and pay more for the lower meter balls.

• TopShelf2010
    10,899 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 11:08 AM

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 12:13 PM

i said the same thing a while back and now im being moderated on forums...

some people who were absolute garbage with all kinds of gadgets on their screens are now shooting lights out..

i use nothing but my head and memory of the game and cant compete against a computer playing the game....

WGT seems to think its ok so what can you do ?

because i like the game just to unwind from a hard days graft,

ill carry on regardless :)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 1:51 PM

100% legal.  In fact, it's soooooo far on the side of legal that the fella thinking otherwise obviously has issues.  IMO.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 3:22 PM
    Whats wrong with multiplycation in your head? extrapolating given information to determine your aim point. AHHH! the good old days when men played sports. and left their toys lying in the front yard. My Nickle.
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 3:24 PM

lee22sharon:
    Whats wrong with multiplycation in your head? extrapolating given information to determine your aim point. 

Calculating anything in your head is no different than getting a spreadsheet to do it.  

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 4:45 PM
    I truly beg to seriously differ with you in this matter. Many can read, many can not, the same applies to the ability to think out a math problem! THATS WHY CALCULATERS AND SPREAD SHEETS WERE INVENTED! My Nickle.
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 6:26 PM

lee22sharon:
    I truly beg to seriously differ with you in this matter. Many can read, many can not, the same applies to the ability to think out a math problem!  

Who makes the spreadsheet do the math problem?   Tip:  they don't think for themselves.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 9:37 PM

All the sheets and rulers are legal.  Anyone using them is merely backing themselves to get there quickly and as accurately as possible as often as possible.

Whilst just my shout, I find the fact that such math detail being able to make a difference is not a selling point. 

Maybe I am just a stick in the mud who says can't be bothered lifting a finger to get used to any of it, but that's me.  IRL sure I know how far my clubs go (charts if like), I also have a 10' putt draw back and a 15' etc (putter pal I can see) and yes of course allow for wind to the extent of my ability (that low runner back in the stance works sometimes)........, but get the drift. 

Something for WGT to think about or dismiss as not for now considering no one else has even got off the ground trying.

• DoctorLarry
    4,302 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:12 PM

kavvz:
    Who makes the spreadsheet do the math problem?   Tip:  they don't think for themselves.

Sorry - this confused me a bit.

Are you saying people that use spreadsheets could not otherwise do the math - or whatever the spreadsheet is doing?

I ask because I developed my own spreadsheet that uses everything that I have been able to learn from others here (at least the things that seem to help) and things that I have learned just from playing.  It is also my storage of ball/club mapping, etc.

I am using this to develop a better feel for how the game imitates RL.  Quite often, I just play without the sheet, or with extremely limited use, just to see how well I am learning.  Otherwise, learning to read the greens is very time-consuming trial and error without a standard to go by.

Just curious - maybe I read that all wrong.

RSS