Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger Woods Pga Tour Online

Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:38 AM (96 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:51 PM

Indeed Cobra4, it is about what the potential for winnings is.  Sure, I like playing sim-golf, I've done it for free all my life.  The prospect of turning those video gaming skills into real dollars is a big motivator, no doubt about it.

Snaike, I need not remind you how you comment to others who leave messages on this forum after playing a few rounds about how the game stinks or whatever.   Now turn those comments around and apply them to yourself in your judgements of the TWO game(you did, after all, leave a comment here about your disdain for TWO after your first round there).  How are you acting any differently about that game than some others do about this one?  Turnabout is fair play, my friend!

Faterson, you are reading from the WGT brochure again. The whole "play for free' pitch is nothing more than a marketing hook and anyone with an ounce of common business sense knows this  The percentage of people who play for free and win anything in a skills based competition is near zero.  The prospect of winning something is what the great lure is and will be here.  Oh, and  I see you aren't playing the game for free, owning the most expensive club set and playing the most expensive balls.   Many happy returns on that investment!

Nivlac, yes both you and I have experienced great fortunes in the game and as a result have been able to ride the credit wave all the way through.  Our experiences are in the small minority however, and obviously if this business model of micro-purchasing is to thrive, it is dependent on people not playing for free at all and not winning anything back as well! After the last year of witnessing the winners of the competitions here, we can honestly and fairly say that many more have paid into the game than have gotten a dime out of it. 

Therein lies the hook:  Sure, we can 'choose' to upgrade, but we both know that as top players and competitors  we will choose to do so at every turn, so the pretense of choice is actually a just that, a pretense.  Of course we will upgrade, many will. It's a nifty business hook and I sincerely hope it plays out extremely well for WGT.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:10 PM

nivlac:
    The only problem with what you're suggesting is finding people to play. 

Im pretty sure after 7 months on wgt i know which players to avoid playing for $'s.Whats the reason why there are no cash prizes, is it because wgt get the prizes for free through sponsorship,then pass them down to the winners on here.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:29 PM

As one of the winners of those pass me downs :)~~~~ I have to say, the trip to Pinehurst was one of the most amazing experiences a person could ever hope or wish to have!!!!  With that being said....WGT is my favorite golf site....TW...MEH.....

Just my opinion.......

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 10:02 PM

If TigerWoods online isn't careful they will price themselves out of business.  I tried during the betas but I'm staying at WGT.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:24 PM

tibbets:
    Snaike, I need not remind you how you comment to others who leave messages on this forum after playing a few rounds about how the game stinks or whatever.   Now turn those comments around and apply them to yourself in your judgements of the TWO game(you did, after all, leave a comment here about your disdain for TWO after your first round there).  How are you acting any differently about that game than some others do about this one?  Turnabout is fair play, my friend!

As I have stated elsewhere on these forums...  I do enjoy that game.  The comment above was in direct proportion to 'how much would you pay for it?"  After playing <30 rounds and completing aprx 90% of the objectives (25, 50, 75 Eagles for each course is going to take awhile longer!) the prospects for advancement are getting slimmer and slimmer.  Having met most of the objectives for that game, and regularly scoring in the 50s even on the hardest tee/pin settings, I feel qualified to answer "how much would you pay?".  You don't have to test-drive a car 10,000 miles to decide whether or not it's right for you.

I am sorry that you took my comments as disdain.... it was not meant as such.  From the earliest mentions of the TW franchise, I have maintained that it is, was, will always be 'Cartoon golf'.  This newest version does nothing to dissuade that.  But again, as mentioned in a previous (now locked) thread, I am not using that as a pejorative term.

So, without fear of contradiction, I stand by my earlier statements.  For me, TWO is a ridiculously easy, cartoon golf game that will fit right into EA's target audience.  Apparently I do not fall into that category.

I will play it some more.. again, I enjoy the game... but I do not enjoy it enough to offer EA a monthly fee to play it.  In my opinion, and for ME, it does not warrant a recurring cash payment just to play multi-player.

If others wish to pay... that's ok.  If others think it's challenging.. that's ok, too.  If others decide that TWO is better than WGT.. that's ok as well.  It's their money and they can spend it however they wish.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:50 PM

tibbets:
    Faterson, you are reading from the WGT brochure again.

And you are obfuscating crucial differences between WGT and TWO again.   Tibbets, there are huge numbers of people around the world who can't afford, or are unable, to pay a single dollar for this game (or TWO). Up until the early 2000s, it was very difficult to obtain a US-accepted credit card in my country, and PayPal wasn't available. I'm sure such problems continue to be relevant for many people around the world. Plus, there may be millions of people who simply don't wish to pay anything for a browser-based golf game.

So, the difference (to TWO) that this game can be played completely for free is a crucial one. (And a commendable one!)

tibbets:
    The percentage of people who play for free and win anything in a skills based competition is near zero.

The percentage of people who play a game just for the fun of it, without wishing or needing to ever win anything, may be very high.

tibbets:
    The prospect of winning something is what the great lure is and will be here.

Not for me, I assure you. I care about achieving good scores and winning golf matches, because that's fun. I don't care about being rewarded for such good scores / wins with any credits/money/prizes. It's just not necessary. Take a look at the Ladders site. Hundreds of players have enrolled in tournaments there, although the site offers no rewards whatsoever for winning games and tourneys. Those players are all there just for the fun of it.

tibbets:
    Oh, and  I see you aren't playing the game for free, owning the most expensive club set and playing the most expensive balls.   Many happy returns on that investment!

The return on investment has been superb and has already exceeded all my expectations. I own more than just one club set, and all 6 ball types, and it's just great fun trying to figure out how to play each club / ball type so that it performs the best way. That's all the "return on investment" I ever ask for.  

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:46 AM

tibbet's, your a hack, and a cyber bully at best. Your the top player at WGT, and now you want to defend Tiger Woods online golf game(which sucks)What's in it for you? do share. Where is your sense of loyalty to WGT?

You should be an ambassador at WGT helping the new players settle in. Instead, you whine in these forums about everyone else and what their doing, spare us the drama. How can you be so salty, that you won't even accept a friend request?

Write something in these forums that is constructive for the members at WGT, like you should be doing, and spare us all the cocky attitude.  

Faterson said it best, people join and spend money because the game is fun, and challenging. Everyone here knows WGT isn't  in the business to give away a bunch of trips and merchandise. Maybe WGT can post a prize ratio chart, and we can see just how easy it is to win a prize.   

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:41 AM

What I'm finding ridiculous about this whole arguement  is that some of you act like you have to pick between one or the other or you have to be loyal to one of them.  I think some people are just more open minded & can play whatever they want at the same time without having to be brainwashed by opinions about which game is better or which applies to real golfers better.  I for one am not swayed by anyones opinion on what they think of this game or the other. What anyone else thinks about the games has no effect on what is going to be played on my computer and at times it seems like people are trying to dictate what should be.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:50 AM

I agree with that analyses Lysti. People don't need to be brow beaten in these forums either.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:58 AM

Tibbets is a hack? That's a new one..........Really validates your opinion there Richard.

YJ

RSS