Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger Woods Pga Tour Online

Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:38 AM (96 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:48 PM

I will agree that in order for most people to be competitive, there is some cost to defray,  but I think the advantage WGT enjoys is that they give the user the option to spend at their own leisure or to not spend at all for the core experience.  The same core experience will cost approx $59 @ TWO.

Personally, I've put a grand total of $1 from my wallet into this game.  That was last October I think and I've been riding the credit wave ever since.  From my particular point of view (and I'm sure yours too), this game has been essentially free from the get go with all upgrades and balls included.  I know that puts us in the minority, but my experience is the only one I'm considering if I'm thinking about reaching into my wallet.  I can see the value here, there, not so much.

And it wasn't just that I was fortunate enough to win the trip either.  I've also won a fair amount of real prizes like gift cards that I was able to turn things like golf clubs, a new golf bag, a GPS and a host of other new toys.  Again, not the Joe Average user experience, but still my experience nonetheless.  I don't foresee being able to collect like that on TWO with a $1 investment (at least for now).

I guess I'm in the camp that prefers the "pay if you want to" strategy as opposed to "pay if you want to play at all."

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:56 PM

Sadly we've passed that estimate at our house just since March here. Took a closer look at what 2 of us have spent on WGT and haven't really paid attention to that until now.  So if we are still having fun on both sites and new features keep coming out on both we will probably continue spending the money.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:02 PM

Many thanks for clearing that up for me Tibbets,i have a better picture off it all now. Just a question for you and Nivlac....Obviously, you both are 2 off the top players in this great game we have here,but what drives you on, is it the fact that you are both so good and can play this game for free by winning the credits and prizes,and would you play this game if you had to pay ?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:06 PM

cobra4:
    but what drives you on...

They told me one day we'd play for money.

cobra4:
    and would you play this game if you had to pay ?

Probably, but I wouldn't be as frivolous as I am now.  I would likely not have the extra set of PING G10 masters if I was reaching into my own wallet.  I was willing to put $50 into the game last year, but I was lucky enough to only need 1. 

I also read the rules.  Wink wink, nudge nudge. :-)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:14 PM

tibbets:
    the point is that it hasn't been, and won't be, cheap to play here either.

Not true. You can play WGT completely for free. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade. In fact, you are given free credits for which you can at least upgrade your driver.

Let's not obfuscate that important difference: WGT is completely free to play for anyone, and intends to remain free for everyone, always.

Whereas TWO intends to charge you something for every month/round, etc. Those are 2 fundamentally different models. There will likely be no option to play TWO for free. For myself, I'd say $9 per month strikes me as too much; I'd be willing to pay maybe $3 or $4 per month, provided I can get TWO running one day, which so far I haven't been able to do, on 2 different computers.

• STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:17 PM

Wow, I'm suprised this thread is still be posted in, I almost forgot about it. Don't mind me guys continue with your discussions.

Rickey

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:23 PM

Back to what one would pay to play TWO ...

From playing the beta and seeing just how ridiculously easy it is, it's almost boring.  I'm sorry.. I might as well dust off any of the TW console games stashed around the house.  it's the same bloody cartoon that they made in 2001.

The ONLY thing that TWO has going for it would be the live multi-player rounds.  And, as I have no desire to get beaten by some 13yo with quicker twitch reflexes than me, I won't be participating in that either.

While i will get a disagreement from my friend tibbets, I just have to say... The cartoon golf is just not worth a monthly subscription imho.

I play golf whenever I can.. I'm lucky enough to live in a part of the country that gets year-round golf.  The only "multi-player' golf I am interested in is our regular foursome at one of the local courses.... and trust me, I can get a lot more out of one round with these guys than I could by playing 50 MP TWO/WGT games.

So, what to pay for TWO per month/year/round?  $0.00 plus tax.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:27 PM

nivlac:
    They told me one day we'd play for money.

What a great option that would be Nivlac ,like a heads up at poker. You could invite a player to play for $1 (or whatever you wish to play for). That would certainly make the game more interesting. I certainly like a bit of a gamble now and again,but i think i would be avoiding you and Tibbets ..lol

• STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:34 PM

Snaike:

So, what to pay for TWO per month/year/round?  $0.00 plus tax.

Whoa, pay Snaike please further explain. I thought it was free like WGT not payment to play online just to play.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:39 PM

cobra4:
    You could invite a player to play for $1 (or whatever you wish to play for).

That would be a cool feature too, but I was referring to stroke play tournaments where the prizes are cash instead of credits or prizes.

The only problem with what you're suggesting is finding people to play.  I've noticed that most people aren't too keen on throwing their money in the toilet, which is what I'd think some people would consider they'd be doing if they were playing for money against tibbets or AL. :)

RSS