Forums

Help › Forums

Suspicious Bank Card Activity....

Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:06 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 10:58 AM

On the 13th of August I got an email from WGT giving details on how to claim my Royal St George Cap for qualifying into the finals.....so I went into my account page and entered my home address so that WGT had my correct address to send the cap out to.

Then I looked at the link in the email from WGT (was to a page on surveymonkey.com) and completed the form to get claim my prize. 

Yesterday 16th August I gets a call from an 0845 number so googled it to check the number as I didn't recognise it. I called it today and it was the fraud dept of my bank.

They proceeded to tell me that on the 15th of August an attempt was made to fraudulently steal £900 from my account  by using my details at an online gambling site here in the UK (Victor Chandlers). I have never played online poker or gambling so the banks security jumped on it right away and stopped it going through.

Can someone from WGT clarify this email (I have a copy of it and can provide it)  to claim the prize was anything to do with SurveyMonkey.com

TBE

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:25 AM

Hi

i'll forward this to the appropriate person.

-wgticon

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:27 AM

Ok Icon...

Thanks..

TBE

• dud_doodle
    135 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:55 AM

After reading this, I went back and checked the dates because this scenario sounded very familiar. I received the email on the 11th and promptly filled out the info using the survey monkey link. The same day I had some fraudulent charges appear on my credit card. This card should not be associated with my wgt account, but I do think I have used this particular card to buy credits 1+ years ago. I got the charges removed and the account has been closed, but I have to wonder if this is coincidence or if something malicious is going on.

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:28 PM

WOW!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:53 PM

thebigeasy707:
    FWIW..I have cancelled the debit card...changed the address in the account page...cut up the old card and now buy WGT credits via paypal...just to be safe.

You're not as safe as you think if some type of keystroke logger jumped on you from the monkey site. Might be a good time to do a serious deep scan.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:56 PM

YankeeJim:
    Might be a good time to do a serious deep scan.

yupps already got out my war tool and did that.,

will be reformatting again soon anyway. i've 2 other laptops i can use meantime.

tbe

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 3:07 PM

This is coming from me based on my past experience. I, in past, also used surveymonkey for school. All it is in simply a survey template website where you can make questions/etc. I can't see how it can be involved.

With that said, we are following on every report with great detail.]

-wgticon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 4:38 PM

It may happen before it gets anywhere if the link in the e-mail is active and clicked on. Copy and paste the link into a browser. Never click on active links in e-mails unless you're 1000% sure.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:11 PM

YankeeJim:

It may happen before it gets anywhere if the link in the e-mail is active and clicked on. Copy and paste the link into a browser. Never click on active links in e-mails unless you're 1000% sure.

i always check out the links in emails Jim before i go clicking lol. 

The link in the email was absolutely fine and I'm sure it's nothing to do with Server Monkey.

Maybe just a coincedence the same thing happened to dvd_doodle.

TBE

• PAGES
RSS