Average Score ????

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:38 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TRABLAH
    210 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:45 AM

WGT,

I am trying to understand how my average score is calculated.  Your system has me truly puzzled !?!?!?  My average is 69.80.........I shoot a 71, and my average 'drops' to 69.75 ??????  I don't seem to be able to get my calculator to work that way, but I pray my bank doesn't adopt your system.

Maybe you could offer to help Mr. Obama with calculating the Nation Debt.......LOL

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:20 AM

Hi TraBlah,

The WGT average is an average score based on a certain number of rounds in each particular tier. It resets every time you advance a tier. In each tier a certain number of rounds are used to calculate your average score. Once you reach that amount of ranked rounds played, It is impossible for your average to increase. I don't think WGT tells anybody how many rounds are used in each tier. Maybe to avoid possible manipulation of averages.. I dunno..

For example.. If the  # of rounds used to calculate your average in the Master tier is 50. You shoot 40 rounds with a score of 60 and you also shoot ten rounds with a score of 80.  Your average would be 64. If the next round you shoot is a 66, Your average would move down to a 63.72 even though you just completed a round higher than your "average".

Hope this helps,

Speedy

• TRABLAH
    210 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:50 AM

speedyschic:

Hi TraBlah,

The WGT average is an average score based on a certain number of rounds in each particular tier. It resets every time you advance a tier. In each tier a certain number of rounds are used to calculate your average score. Once you reach that amount of ranked rounds played, It is impossible for your average to increase. I don't think WGT tells anybody how many rounds are used in each tier. Maybe to avoid possible manipulation of averages.. I dunno..

For example.. If the  # of rounds used to calculate your average in the Master tier is 50. You shoot 40 rounds with a score of 60 and you also shoot ten rounds with a score of 80.  Your average would be 64. If the next round you shoot is a 66, Your average would move down to a 63.72 even though you just completed a round higher than your "average".

Hope this helps,

Speedy

NO, that does not seem to solve the problem.  I know the average resets when you change tiers, but that does not explain the mystery.  If my average is 64 after 50 rounds, that would be 3,200 shots.  If you add the next round of 66 (3266) and divide by 51 rounds, the average would be 64.039 (64.04).   Maybe WGT should hire a 4th grade student to show them how to calculate an AVERAGE !!  I guess I'm not too smart, but I was never able to figure out the NEW MATH......LOL

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:05 AM

TRABLAH:

NO, that does not seem to solve the problem.  I know the average resets when you change tiers, but that does not explain the mystery.  If my average is 64 after 50 rounds, that would be 3,200 shots.  If you add the next round of 66 (3266) and divide by 51 rounds, the average would be 64.039 (64.04).   Maybe WGT should hire a 4th grade student to show them how to calculate an AVERAGE !!  I guess I'm not too smart, but I was never able to figure out the NEW MATH......LOL

The average is computed using only the X best ranked rounds you played. This is mentioned in the FAQ (even if the exact rules to compute the average are not mentioned, but we figured out ourself).

This number X is different for each tier. For Master it is 40. If your average is 64 after 40 games, you have 64*40 = 2560 shots. Lets assume that among those 40 games you worste score is 70. If your next round is 66, then 66 will replace your 70. So your number of shots is now 2560 - 70 + 66 = 2556. Your average is thus 2556/40 = 63.9.

So once you have played 40 rounds (in master) your average (as computed here) can decrease while posting score above your average (in the example above your average was 64 and decreased to 63.9 after posting a 66).

Regards

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:08 AM

Hmmm... it very well may be a conspiracy. I hope you get it figured out.

Cheers,

Speedy

• TRABLAH
    210 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:20 AM

genorb:

TRABLAH:

The average is computed using only the X best ranked rounds you played. This is mentioned in the FAQ (even if the exact rules to compute the average are not mentioned, but we figured out ourself).

This number X is different for each tier. For Master it is 40. If your average is 64 after 40 games, you have 64*40 = 2560 shots. Lets assume that among those 40 games you worste score is 70. If your next round is 66, then 66 will replace your 70. So your number of shots is now 2560 - 70 + 66 = 2556. Your average is thus 2556/40 = 63.9.

So once you have played 40 rounds (in master) your average (as computed here) can decrease while posting score above your average (in the example above your average was 64 and decreased to 63.9 after posting a 66).

Regards

OH!    So, it is the AVERAGE of my best 40 rounds!!   Seems like a very odd way to arrive at an AVERAGE SCORE.   There should be another name for it.  Perhaps, " IT'S JUST A NUMBER THAT REALLY MEANS NOTHING AT ALL".

• wmkyle
    438 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:47 AM

It really is a number. Is there Anyway that WGT can give us our average score per different golf courses that we play on? I know my avg of 65.45 is a joke, cause I believe my best scores are coming from Kiawa and St Andrews. I'm lucky just to post par for the course on Bethpage and Oakmont. It would be nice to see what averages of other players have on the various courses that we all play on. It's just a thought that came to me, so I thought i could share it.  Bill

• TRABLAH
    210 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 1:25 PM

wmkyle:

It really is a number. Is there Anyway that WGT can give us our average score per different golf courses that we play on? I know my avg of 65.45 is a joke, cause I believe my best scores are coming from Kiawa and St Andrews. I'm lucky just to post par for the course on Bethpage and Oakmont. It would be nice to see what averages of other players have on the various courses that we all play on. It's just a thought that came to me, so I thought i could share it.  Bill

Sounds like a fine idea, but if they use the same weird system, what would it really mean?

I'd prefer to see a REAL AVERAGE.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 2:39 PM

TRABLAH:
    OH!    So, it is the AVERAGE of my best 40 rounds!!   Seems like a very odd way to arrive at an AVERAGE SCORE.   There should be another name for it.  Perhaps, " IT'S JUST A NUMBER THAT REALLY MEANS NOTHING AT ALL"

It is similiar to how a HCP is calculated in real life.  The USGA uses your best 10 out of 20, also taking into account the slope and rating of a course (difficulty)

Cheers,

b0gey

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2011 3:24 AM

TRABLAH:

I'd prefer to see a REAL AVERAGE.

This has been already explained many time. To promote someone to the next tier, WGT use two criteria: you have to have played enough ranked stroke game (40 for master for example) and your average has to be below some given value (different for each tier). 

With a real average, you can play bad rounds on purpose to keep your average above the critical number to stay forever in the same tier and never get promoted. Of course you can get advantage to that because you drive from shorter tee.

That's why a real average is not a good solution.

Of course they could display two averages, the real one and the one they use now for promotion purpose. Or they could come with another system to promote players. Ideas in that direction have been proposed by members already.

Regards

• PAGES
RSS