Forums

Help › Forums

Where are the NON-picky NON-wussy players?

Sat, Jun 16 2012 2:10 AM (40 replies)
  • BrianWhitt
    6 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:21 AM

What happened to people that played their game to the end?  Where are those folks that will play with anyone?  I'm seeing more and more players either boot someone from their game before it starts (Lord knows a Pro shouldn't be playing with a Hack) or they quit before game is over so their score won't be affected.  I'm looking to play with people who are gonna man up and play because it's fun, regardless of scoring or rank.

• naughty1
    104 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:50 AM

BrianWhitt:
    I'm seeing more and more players either boot someone from their game before it starts (Lord knows a Pro shouldn't be playing with a Hac

Brian, I do not like to play against non-reg clubs. I see it as a 3-5 stroke handicap for those who use those clubs  It would be stupid to try and win a match, and give them 3-5 strokes before you tee off. You may be playing "not to win", but I believe most of us go into the game trying to win. It would be nice that before we hit the "tee off" button, that we could know what the other player is using for clubs. WGT does not give us info, so you can understand that when we play stroke, and we find that the other player can hit 50 yds more on the drive, 30 more on the 3 wood or hybrid, have putts amazingly dive into the hole, we will disconnect. I find no pleasure in losing, and I have nothing derog to say about people who are not competitive, that is your choice

I find it very funny in match play. Prior to tee off I will ask "do you use reg clubs" and they reply "no". I then say "ok, put your clubs back and use your reg clubs" This is the funny part, The reply "oh, that is not fair to me" "I have to use the back tee. Sure, it is not fair, but what is fair about reg clubs playing against super clubs and ball

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:59 AM

Brian, go to the WGLS Ladders, you'll find that virtually no one quits there.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:05 AM

ninja'd by niv ...lol

I was just going to say the same thing, Brian  ... on the ladder site, i'd have to say it's a 99+ % completion rate. You'll find a lot of good folks playing there.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:57 AM

Naughty1

I read your posts a couple times and was trying to figure out the logic behind your statements and I finally figured it out.  So lets say you and a master tee it up at Kiawah according to your terms....all starter clubs

Kiawah Island

Master Tees - 6818 yds

Pro Tees - 6471 yds

That equals a difference of 347 yards or about 20 yards per hole advantage.  So let me get this straight, you won't play a person with upgraded clubs because they will have a distance advantage, yet you expect a master to give you a 20 yard average distance advantage by using standard clubs.  Add in the difference in wind and  viola now you have at least a 3-5 stroke advantage... the same thing that you are crying about.  So opposed to you upgrading your clubs, you expect Masters to use standard equipment to give yourself the advantage. ...hmmmm  Brilliant!  Absolutely Brilliant!  Take your self-imposed handicap and force it upon Masters to create an advantage for yourself. Naughty1you are sneaky...very, very sneaky.

Of course, I also assume that you will not play anyone ranked as an amature or hack either.  I mean they could use the standard clubs and still have between a 20 and 50 yard advantage per hole.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:14 AM

I 3rd the motion for WGTLS, 99% completion rate. Only one's I see disconnect there are: 1) folks who TRULY lost connection. (they always post loss) 2) folks w/ something suddenly popped up @ home/work issue (they always post loss) 3) Foot shooters, usually pros, who don't want to balloon their avg. (they always post loss) 1 & 2 have happened to me personally. I have played a few who've done 3.

• naughty1
    104 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:24 AM

Thetruth67:

Naughty1

I read your posts a couple times and was trying to figure out the logic behind your statements and I finally figured it out.  So lets say you and a master tee it up at Kiawah according to your terms....all starter clubs

Kiawah Island

Master Tees - 6818 yds

Pro Tees - 6471 yds

That equals a difference of 347 yards or about 20 yards per hole advantage.  So let me get this straight, you won't play a person with upgraded clubs because they will have a distance advantage, yet you expect a master to give you a 20 yard average distance advantage by using standard clubs.  Add in the difference in wind and  viola now you have at least a 3-5 stroke advantage... the same thing that you are crying about.  So opposed to you upgrading your clubs, you expect Masters to use standard equipment to give yourself the advantage. ...hmmmm  Brilliant!  Absolutely Brilliant!  Take your self-imposed handicap and force it upon Masters to create an advantage for yourself. Naughty1you are sneaky...very, very sneaky.

Of course, I also assume that you will not play anyone ranked as an amature or hack either.  I mean they could use the standard clubs and still have between a 20 and 50 yard advantage per hole.

1-I did not say that I wanted an advantage. I said I found it funny that when the "65" logs in and wants to play a 75, he wants the long club advantage. I referred to the fact that they will not give up that advantage, but cry that if they play reg clubs they are at a disadvantage. YES, they are at a disadvantage, but if they want to play long clubs against regs, why should I not be able to ask for an advantage. Personally, at match play, I look to play only pro with reg clubs that have within 5 avg points of my avg. I am not looking for an easy game, and I am not looking to play a master with a 65 rating and long clubs. I am happy to take on any master on the practice round, and then everybody is hitting from the same tee. I have done this 3 times, and found that I can compete when they do not play with long clubs The point is that a reg club player, and a long club player, both having equal talent, the reg player does not stand a chance.

NO, I do not play hacks and ams. I did when I was am, but refuse all hack and am games.

In short, you have misread my post. . I have made it a point to refuse play with long club players.  

If you look at my match play recotd, you will see that they above is true 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:33 AM

I will also second, third, fourth the idea of the ladder site.

It is full of non-quitters and good sports at all levels.  Sure, things come up once in awhile and some have to bail, but they (usually) are very upfront about it.

Although I won't white-wash it, some of the bad apples have fallen into those ranks as well.. usually they are sussed out rather quickly and either straighten up and fly right, or they bail.. their choice of course.

Thetruth67:
    hmmmm  Brilliant!  Absolutely Brilliant!  Take your self-imposed handicap and force it upon Masters to create an advantage for yourself. Naughty1you are sneaky...very, very sneaky.

Thetruth67, please stop trying to reason with our friend Naughty1.  Please...  You'll only confuse him with logic and facts. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:43 AM

There is nothing is stopping you from upgrading your own set, naughty1.  You not buying clubs is your own self-imposed limitation, thus you must sleep in the bed you've made.

Don't start crying foul because you've run into opponents who decided to support the game they love to play so much and whom refuse to play within your custom set of rules.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:49 AM

Just allow the master the driver and you'll find yourselves landing close enough together, off the tees. You will be equal from there in.

YJ

RSS