Help › Forums

pulling the flag?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:05 PM (28 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:39 AM

flaccus:

why do you pull the flag? under what circs? haven't seen a benefit yet, except once i hit it on the full from 160 yards and it bounced way off the green

On at least 3 occasions If I had had the foresight to have pulled the pin on a par 3 tee shot I would have had a hole-in-one. And once last weekend if I had pulled the pin on # 6 @ Congressional I would have had my 3rd DE. But many times leaving the pin in has saved me from going way past the hole. I will admit that after the second missed hole-in-one because of the flagstick being in I started pulling it on par 3 tee shots for a while. lol. I have never hit the pin on a par 3 since. 

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 2:58 PM

zagraniczniak:
    when you watch a replay the pin is always replaced in the hole

and what's with the zoom-out? that also makes it hard to see exactly what happened

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:48 AM

Maybe this, from another thread, is why! flaccus:

Allen63:
    edges are much sharper

yep

You mean like this?

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=a9fbe971-c2f3-4a04-ab07-9f5501175194

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:59 AM

There is an award for hitting the flagstick, another way to get extra bonus points.

Cheers

Roger

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 7:51 AM

flaccus:

how can you tell that a bounce-off would have gone in? 

Way back when, we did Not have the option of pulling the pin...believe it or not :-). My stats were: 100 flags hit

48 hole-outs

Stats Now : 167 flags hit

143 hole-outs

Of course it`s impossible to say one way or another...conclusively, which shots will drop with the pin in or out....but I can do the math ;-D. Furthermore, looking at my present stats, I`m wondering how many more of those 67 flags hit (since the option to pull the flag was introduced) would have dropped in for birdie, eagle...or even a few double eagles that I remember hitting the flag and bouncing off. I did get my first Hole in One with the flag pulled. As BTBS did, I started pulling the flag even on par 3s...I don`t anymore though, feeling it to be excessive and a little unrealistic, lol. GL

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:08 AM

pretty good evidence; thanks mefitz :)

• maruschak
    572 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 9:48 AM

There's always that possibility,.."damned if I do and damned if I don't!" In real golf the reason for removing it is obvious,....but for me???......I'd have more concern if I was around the hole more often than I am!! LOL   Happy hitting!!!

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 7:44 PM

maruschak:
    In real golf the reason for removing it is obvious

yep, so you can lay it at right angles behind hole - strange that WGT doesn't offer this option ;)

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 2:36 AM

Ok, well I have readed through this venereable thread and now I haves some idea why my Uncle gets so red in the face and angery with me when we play are anuall game. Up till now I have tooken out the flag and layed it in a strait line along the paff of my putt. I find it helps enormussly with guiding the ball into the hole wotsit. I obveusly was missing something of the most terrible impotence then.

Thanks for setting me rite guyz.

Lizzie xx

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:23 AM

no no no Lizzie, at right angles - unless in straitened circumstances

as for what you were missing ... LOLIE

RSS