Forums

Help › Forums

Conceding putts

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:17 PM (7 replies)
  • billvill
    49 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 6:56 AM

What's your criteria? I usually give putts inside 3' unless the opponent is absolutely going to win or lose the hole, then I concede anything.

The reason I ask is, I had a guy concede a 3'er when the hole would be halfed and I was putting first, but not concede a 2.4' when he was already in. Stated he didn't do it because the green was tough. My thinking is, inside 3' is inside 3'. The putt was in the middle of a round. I could see it if it was for the match, but not really in this instance. This was an Alt. Shot game.

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:22 AM

i dislike the whole convention - everyone wd putt everything, here and for real, if i had my way

• billvill
    49 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:50 AM

Not gonna make many friends having your opponent putt that meaningless 5'er for bogey while you're a lock for birdie from 2' though. Golf is as much about sportsmanship as it is skill. I like the premise of rewarding an opponent for a good approach (lag putt, etc.) with a gimme.

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 3:09 PM

billvill:
    Not gonna make many friends

i know, so i do it -

but i'm uncomfortable having putts conceded to me when it matters by people who lose track of the situation or are overly generous - i don't think it has anything to do with sportsmanship (sticking to the spirit as well as the letter of the rules) it's an over-developed courtesy  - and it it can be, and is, used as part of  gamesmanship. Also, you're going bad, you may want/need to hole that 5ft putt to steady and practise. Espec in real.

otohand, it saves time

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 3:20 PM

flaccus:

i dislike the whole convention - everyone wd putt everything, here and for real, if i had my way

I understand what you are saying, but in REAL-LIFE MP...conceding putts in an option'

Wasn't it Nickalaus who conceded a 5 footer to Player 40+ years ago which gave the European team the win?  IIRC a miss would have tied that match and extra holes would have been needed...memory is a bit foggy on it, but that's how I recall it.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 7:39 PM

MB, you are correct about the MP option to concede a hole, in fact in MP one can concede a hole or the whole game at any stage.   However it is an option and should not be seen as a rule.

What flaccus is saying, I think, is that often on WGT some players expect you to concede under a certain distance, but short putts can, and will be occasionally missed by most of us.  

One thing is conceding because the outcome is a given and another is to feel compelled to concede in order to make friends.

I believe that when WGT implemented the concede option did it in order to give players an out in those cases where the game would otherwise mindlessly drag on. Of course some of us needed to take that one step further. I am all with the many flaccuses ;)

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:10 PM

Sanco:
    What flaccus is saying, I think, is that often on WGT some players expect you to concede under a certain distance, but short putts can, and will be occasionally missed by most of us.  

Yep, but also, i feel uncomfortable when a putt i know i might miss is conceded to me. Not just being nice - it can sort of prey on yr mind. (But being nice too LOL) I also have not played too much WGT MP and can get a little confused about the score. I assume other newbies can too.

One mate chats "putt pls". A bit abrupt when i first saw it, but is a good  idea when u want it played out.

One guy said at start, "I concede everything under 3ft" so I knew where i stood, but still... - but don't concede any putt at Oak #2 under any circs is my advice LOL espec to me!!!

but take a look at my best (5ft) putt ever

http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx?view=showReplay&JSON=%257B%2520%2522GUID%2522%2520%253A%2520%25227bb9b688-3d8b-41d8-ad23-9f0200c7ba40%2522%252C%2520%2522Brand%2522%2520%253A%2520%2522undefined%2522%2520%257D

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:17 PM

that link works, but why is it so long?

RSS