Help › Forums

Default putting meter......

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 7 2011 5:30 PM (5 replies)
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 5:36 AM

........is total bollucks.

It should default to the lowest you have, which in my case is 15 feet, a spider is 25 feet a freebie is 30 feet.

I don't know how many rounds have been ruined by the meter suddenly deciding it is 60 feet.

There is enough to think about and concentrate on without having to piss about checking the meter.

We all know about the fringe, and we all get caught out once, but on the green one should not have to think or worry the meter is not what it ought to be, the lowest common denominator.

1i  a seriously pissed off putter.

• billcliff
    2,616 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 6:44 AM

does not take a second to check the scale,do not blame others when its your fault.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:32 AM

So if I have a 150 foot putt on St. Andrew's, it should automatically default to 15 feet? If that was the case, then you would HAVE to look down at the meter even more than you currently are. 

I think the putter does a pretty good job of deciding what you should hit unless I have a putt that's running in between putter increments... Regardless...

billcliff:

does not take a second to check the scale

Quoted for the absolute truth. 

• maruschak
    572 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:04 AM

It's happened to me several times,..I generally check the scale every putt, but ONCE in a while I get too quick and find that I made an intended 17 foot putt using the 150 FT meter!! needless to say the putt went long!!

Bottom line is,...MY BAD!!!!   If my caddy hands me a 6 iron when it should be a 9.......and I hit it......why blame him????  LOL

• StayPuft
    7 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 10:37 AM

The original poster is correct, I should not get a 50' scale when it's a 23' downhill putt and my putter has a 25' scale. It is enormously frustrating to calculate the break, speed, and then perfectly stroke the putt to see it rocket past the hole and off the green. On the other hand, after the first time it happened I should know better. I should have checked and bear all the blame, but it's maddening nonetheless.

IMO I would rather be given the default lowest scale and have to select the scale for every distance greater than that. That seems to be prefereable to the computer selecting the appropriate range 39 times out of 40 and risking a rocket on the 40th time. I'd rather forget to increase the scale and leave a 50' putt 25' short than have the computer pick the wrong scale and wind up launching one off the green. 

• maruschak
    572 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 5:30 PM

My scale offers me 30ft.....60ft.......150ft........300ft

And that's all! Do others have different variations???

RSS