Help › Forums

What do you think?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:45 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 2:32 PM

Just curious what the general consensus is....was just playing a match play challenge, I'm 1 up, we are on the third, I'm putting for eagle and my opponent is about to tee off when suddenly he has to go....he asks if he should ff or drop the game, to which I reply that I would drop if we were even. He then lets the time run and eventually I win.

A moment later I get a post on my wall saying that he is at work and had to take a call and basically that "if we should ever meet again that he will bypass me and rather play with a gentleman". 

Now my question is, was I unfair not to drop the game? Would you guys have dropped? I understand that many people do play at work, but c'mon,  play individual games then so that you will never be in this position. What is stopping me from sitting at home and after having a bad start, saying "oh no I have to go."

What do you guys think?

Thanks

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 2:38 PM

pb1711:
    .he asks if he should ff or drop the game,

Just by him asking this you would think he was sincere, in which case a drop would have been appropriate. If you thought he was just being a chump you should have said yes to the forfeit. JMO

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 2:45 PM

You are totally in the right.

If he didn't have the time to play, he shouldn't have played.

He should have forfeited and been done.

Happy hitting

• JPOLEARY
    36 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2011 3:44 PM

If he can not afford to lose a match play buy-in then he should not be playing for credits. Should have X amount of buy ins to cover the swings and life issues that come up

You did nothing wrong! Personally I would send him a sleeve of pink b-xd balls so he gets a small increase in distance his next round

• Squeezeman
    27 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 2:56 PM

I think that's a great idea JP.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:19 PM

Your in the right.. Never drop a game.

That guy if he was right in saying he was at work , he should not have joined a challenge match play game in the first place. The fact that he was 1 down , maybe going to be 2 down suggests to me  he new he was going to lose the match & thought he would try to BS you..

If it was the other way round ill bet  he would have finished the match & took your credits from you.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:57 PM

I missed the challenge after match play in the OP. I'm with Soulcatcher here.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 7:05 PM

If he was playing at work, he should be pink slipped.

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2011 7:49 PM

pb1711:

Just curious what the general consensus is....was just playing a match play challenge, I'm 1 up, we are on the third, I'm putting for eagle and my opponent is about to tee off when suddenly he has to go....he asks if he should ff or drop the game, to which I reply that I would drop if we were even. He then lets the time run and eventually I win.

A moment later I get a post on my wall saying that he is at work and had to take a call and basically that "if we should ever meet again that he will bypass me and rather play with a gentleman". 

Now my question is, was I unfair not to drop the game? Would you guys have dropped? I understand that many people do play at work, but c'mon,  play individual games then so that you will never be in this position. What is stopping me from sitting at home and after having a bad start, saying "oh no I have to go."

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I'm not sure i understand exactly what was going on. I believe there is a little that wasn't said about what really happened. Because there is no way that you could have been putting for an eagle before your opponent even teed off. You might have driven a par 4 green and had an eagle putt coming up but not putting for an eagle before he or she even teed off. So tell everything like it really was.

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2011 7:52 PM

I'm with the majority here.  If at work and subject to being pulled away, don't enter into a challenge match on WGT.  If you do, and you must, then you should expect to lose credits.  I don't find you to be in the wrong in not accepting to 'drop match'.

In regards to sting's query, I am guessing that you just presented the series of events in the wrong order.  IE:  You were set up for an Eagle putt as you awaited your opponent teeing off rather than you were about to make an Eagle putt before your opponent had hit his T shot.

• PAGES
RSS