Help › Forums

sloping lies

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:36 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Bigmuggsy
    603 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2011 6:33 AM

I firmly believe your lie effects shots on some fairways - take the 9th on Bethpage for example, put your drive just in front of the bunker on the slope, and your second, even hit perfectly, will go left of the green

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:05 AM

If that were true the ball would take off to the right. The slope is down to the right where you're standing and with a sidehill/downhill lie the ball will come off the club going to the right unless you could close the clubface to compensate.

• Bigmuggsy
    603 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:17 AM

Well all I can say is on numerous occasions I've hit perfect irons whilst aiming at the flag with little wind, and the ball ends up in the left hand bunker.  How does that happen?  Watching the ball flight is basically goes straight left.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:36 PM

Bigmuggsy:

Well all I can say is on numerous occasions I've hit perfect irons whilst aiming at the flag with little wind, and the ball ends up in the left hand bunker.  How does that happen?  Watching the ball flight is basically goes straight left.

Hi

i suspect it's not because of the lie but raised green, therefore you have to club up and then harder to stop. that's why you see players trying to cut corner to hit short irons, so they can land softly:)

-wgticon

• PAGES
RSS