Help › Forums

TM asking for help

Mon, Oct 3 2011 1:01 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2011 8:35 PM

Ladies and Gents, I need some advice from the veterans:

I've worked hard over the last two days on my game before posting but I just can't shake the feeling that something isn't quite right.

Since hitting TM tier it is like my clubs are behaving differently or something.  A putt with a lazy consistent left to right break will roll a solid curve into the hole.  But the next dinged similiar putt will roll completely differently either not breaking or breaking savagely. Even the distance on the putts seems to be off. I'll ding an iron shot and it'll ride the wind as it should.  The next dinged iron shot despite aiming say left, will start right of the pin quite a way off the aim point.  Shots uphill into the wind will fly the pin by 9 yards and go further than the clubs distance rating plus ball despite a bit of bs and the said head wind.  But if I then try to re-calibrate - more bs and a bit less power it comes up 9 yards short.

I know the difference between Tournie greens and very fast.  It isn't that. And I'm swinging the same.  It just seems to have gone "all over the place" and I'm at a total loss how to react to rectify things.

Any insight, experience or direct advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Acrux
    393 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2011 9:57 PM

Tier change =change in general

its a different enviroment   whether it feels like it or not

just stick to it and play your game the way you know how

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2011 10:32 PM

That's just the paradox of tiering up to the higher tiers. I remember it happening to me, oh such a long time ago. 

As for putting, I have the exact same things happening to me on a daily basis. Just try and adjust the best you can and sink as many putts as you can, hoping it doesn't happen all too frequently. 

Just stick with it and eventually you'll get the hang of it. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 5:08 AM

TheLighterDark:
    That's just the paradox of tiering up to the higher tiers. I remember it happening to me, oh such a long time ago.

Me, too. Think of it like this-the tolerances got tighter for you at your new level of play and mishits hurt more.  

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 5:54 AM

I usually know on the first green whether its going to be a blast or a waste, now this could be due to in-game factors, or just the way I am feeling. Most probably the feeling I suspect. I just end game and go and write something pointless in the forums. Thats why there are so many of my posts in here...

Anyway, after I go back, its usually better. It could be a combination of many factors because it happens on a daily basis, the whole putts coming up short, irons over/under shooting thing. I guess real life is much the same because of all the infinite variables, in which case, Wgt have done a truly immense job of giving us something so real. Its hard to reconcile while playing a PC game, since we expect what amounts to a mathematical formula, to give the same results time after time, and at those times I personally, stand back and walk away until my composure returns.

There doesn't seem to be a magical Manna from heaven thing going on here, although I have seeked and sought one like probably everyone else has, so far, no luck. Let you know if I find it lol.

Lizzie xx

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 8:31 AM

There are days when putts go in and other days when they don't.  I think this is more my doing than WGT - although green speeds do change a bit from time to time.  Also, each time I have advanced a level it was like starting over again - more so at Legend.  Feeling like a hack right now, lol.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 8:50 AM

One word: PLACEBO.

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:14 PM

Thankyou all for the replies.

I took the advice and just kept grinding out holes.  Yesterday I achieved some great scores.

What i think I noticed was that there are a few more "rogue" shots at this level.  They come and go and over any 18 you'll get some.  You just have to "play it where it lies" and make the best of it.

Personally, I've slowly warmed to it in a way.  I have gotten pretty deadly with my clubs.  But it actually adds to the general excitement and challenge when even if I'm 99% sure I've got the wind, slope and distance sussed perfectly - where the damn things ends up is still a mystery even if I manage to ding it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2011 6:05 AM

Ecka65:
    Personally, I've slowly warmed to it in a way.

It gets better! Wait until you're smoking the courses, have adjusted and feel right at home and are cruising along. Bang-here comes the Legend tier and you can reprint this thread as it starts all over. GL.    ;-)

• MUSTAQBAL1
    270 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:02 AM

you hit it right on the button liz.  imagine if you could hit the ball exactly the same, everytime and attained the same result.  let's say lee westwood was 120yrds out on the 18th hole of the british open and was hitting into a 15 mph wind and took this same shot 100 times. do you think the ball would land in the exact same spot every time? of course not because of all the variables added like you mentioned.  wgt prides itself in having the most realistic golf game ever created.  kudos to them and let's hope it stays that way.

qbal

• PAGES
RSS