Forums

Help › Forums

Game dynamics change at Master Level?

Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:28 AM (6 replies)
  • DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:56 PM

First let me apologize if this has already been addressed in the forums, I searched a while and didn't see it.

I recently moved to Master tier, I was holding a steady avg around 66-67 as a Tour Pro. After getting Master my game went to HE@@. I am 3 putting 15 footers that I would hit for birdie before, short irons and wedges that I would drop 5 feet from the hole don't even come close, I adjust for wind and the shot goes the same distance to the other side of the flag(aim right ball goes left), 

example

09.09.11  Tour Pro St Andrews Back 9 Ready-go  Back 9  Tour Pro  31

09.08.11 Tour Pro St Andrews Back 9 Ready-go Back 9  Tour Pro  32

09.02.11  Tour Pro St Andrews Back 9 Ready-go  Back 9  Tour Pro  32

hit Master after entering tourney but before playing

09.13.11  Tour Pro St Andrews Back 9 Ready-go  Back 9  Tour Pro  38

I went from a 66avg to 72.5avg, do the game dynamics change that much after moving up a tier??

any advice will help.

thanks

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2011 5:17 PM

You are actually playing a different (harder) course now.  Also, your score average has reset now that you are playing with the big kids...all of this is normal.  In order to keep up, it's also one of the reasons many are compelled to upgrade clubs and balls.  You'll adjust to your new tier soon enough...but post all your scores, play all the courses and play some 18 hole rounds...or you might be in the Tour Master tier before you are ready.  

Joey

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:06 AM

Every time I moved up it was like starting over.  Better equipment, more patience and attention to detail become a must if you are concerned about your average and competing at that level.  C

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:11 AM

Bud, I haven't been here long but I spend about 10 hours here every day so I'll offer what I can:

1.  Yes, as you tier up things "change" and tighten up.  From Tour Pro to Master kicked me for a while.  Master to Tour Master did the same thing.  Hang in there.  Your game will improve because you'll need to be a little more precise.

2.  I'd advise you it's probably time to give up your beloved Raptures.  What changed my game in the Master tier was hitting level 59 and buying a set of G10's.  I notice you've already discovered the woods.  The irons will make things a lot easier.

3.  Read every thread you can find on putting.  You should've played enough (and with above equipment) be able to get out of trouble.  So you need to sink putts.  The greens are getting slippery and the breaks are more severe.  To get them requires the right pace as well as read.  A lot less forgiving than the pro tiers.

4.  I've posted thread(s) like yours.  The first dozen or so games after tiering can be demoralising.  Hang in there - it'll come.

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:52 AM

When I moved to master, i realized that it is easier, and the dynamics do not change. The only thins that change are- Tee boxes, you move to hard tees-wind, the wind is stronger.

What I recommend is getting the G10 lvl 59 irons, a decent 225+ fairway, R9TP lvl 62 driver, a wedge set that can stop the ball on the spot, and a daytona or ghost spider putter. The longer driver and irons will offset the tee changing, the wedges willget the ball close when you miss a fairway and have to lay up, the putter is so that you can convert slightly longer putts for birdie, as you will tend to hit the ball a little farther from the hole in regulation.

After you get new equipment and get used to clubs and landing spots, like I said earlier, you will shoot lower and your tourneys will be more stress free, as there is more room for error. As for putting, if you cant exactly tell the read, try reading from behind the hole-it almost never fails.

Hope it helps:)

• Maverick7272
    15 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 9:14 AM

I'm in a similar boat having recently become Master but am very reluctant to give up my beloved Raptures. Are the G10s that much better?? And what about the faster meter speed??

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:28 AM

I have a soft spot for the Raptures as well, Got the G10s prior to turning Master and kept swapping between them and the V2s. G10 meter is awfully fast even with the Callaways and I couldn't seem to adapt to the speed. 

BUT, lo and behold something happened and now I am much more comfortable with them. It seemed like yesterday all of a sudden I got it, dropped 5-6 strokes on BPB 9 hole.

If I can keep this up I'll be playing the Tourneys again soon.

10.03.11  Bethpage Black  Back 9  Master  32

10.03.11  St Andrews Links: The Old Course  Front 9  Master  34

10.01.11  Bethpage Black                               Back 9  Master

09.30.11  Bethpage Black                                Front 9  Master  37

RSS