Forums

Help › Forums

Hack to Legend

Thu, Oct 13 2011 12:11 PM (43 replies)
  • Pryke
    295 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:13 PM

PeterHopper:

If you study the forums, put the work in...

These are the 2 things which have helped me improve quickly.

Constantly reading forums for tips/ideas and playing everyday. The amount of help I've had from my fellow CC members with regards to what shot to play, when and most importantly 'how to play it' has been amazing.

Cheers

P

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:15 PM

DellSutton:

How long did it take you to get to Legend from joining WGT.

And have you any Idear how much it cost you?

If all you want to do is become a Legend  Dell just play ST A all day everyday for a few month's and buy all the best equipment. along the way..its really that easy.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:16 PM

I had the same experience in terms of time that TLD did. 

However in the WGT of today, I think it would take a little longer.  Since you have more tiers to move through and your average resets at each, it probably takes longer today.  There are more clubs, balls, etc. available today than there used to be but you are a little constrained by the level system, although you can get pretty good sticks quicker.

I invested a total of $70 in WGT of my own money over the past 2 plus years.  Today I only buy some balls once in a while and at this point I earn enough from the weekly tournaments and doing a few offers and / or surveys to pay for them.

• nikic123
    639 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:17 AM

yeh but what respect do u get from being a st andrews legend makes me laugh all it means is they carnt play any outher corses what an apsolute joke . and all u st andrews legends no who u are !!

• petwil66
    42 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 8:49 PM

nikic123:

yeh but what respect do u get from being a st andrews legend makes me laugh all it means is they carnt play any outher corses what an apsolute joke . and all u st andrews legends no who u are !!

Sorry nickic 123 i have to disagree with you there as i am a St Andy's Legend and i can play everywhere and i do play everywhere any course no problem.

I am not one to say i can't play this nine or i can't play that nine as i'm here to play for fun and not to play for sheep stations lol.

• SuttonPlaysGolf
    18 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 9:13 PM

Master in 16 days. Legend in 8 months. Back to rubbish in 12 months !

Can't be sure, but I think I spent about $75.00 along the way.

• 2trueblue2
    159 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:10 PM

i agree,your on this for fun and to hopefully meet some great people along the way. if u  wanna earn the big bucks get off ya bum and play in the real world, everybody was once a hack , if ya a legend or a master dont be a stuck up snob help out a begginer , it might make u feel good

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:39 PM

8 1/2 months, 2 carpal tunnel ops, bout $150.

• broahes
    191 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 12:05 AM

I have been a member of WGT, but haven't taken it seriously until I came back to playing 58 days ago.  I was a hack with starters then, but now find myself at Master and if I had more time in my week, I think I could at least be TM by now.  Like many other players here have already mentioned, I wasted some money buying clubs that I really didn't need to buy, and made an even worse mistake in buying complete sets each time.. but you live and learn.  No need for you to have to do that though, as there are plenty of people to bounce club ideas off before you purchase, and you can always rent them for a day instead of buying only to find that it's not the clubs for you. 

Researching in the forums is a great tool.. a lot of good info in here if you can dig it out.

My main suggestion, take your time.. it's not a race and you will be a better "Legend" if you take your time in getting there and making it through each tier naturally.  There are some really solid players in the game, and a good many of them are more than willing to answer your questions that you have along  the way.

Best of luck to you and happy hitting.

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 3:04 AM

OK - I'm TM average 61.14 at time of posting this.  I joined 8 weeks and 3 days ago.  349 ranked rounds played.

So I'd say the "apprenticeship" will be finished in just under 9 weeks.

I've invested $65 of real money into the game thus far and chew through sleeves of Calloway balls at an alarming rate - sometimes a sleeve per day.

Clearly I've played a LOT.  Didn't understand the value of the conseq day bonus intially but now have 52 days conseq played.

My tip(s)?  Learn to putt, then learn to putt, then learn to putt.  Start each day re-learning to putt.

Then learn the courses.  Which holes play deceptively long, which ones short.  Which greens stick, which one's bounce on.  Which side of pins to come in from, which spots give ridiculous putts and which spots give easier ones.

...and when you finally reach level 59 buy yourself a set of G10 irons and go out there and "tear 'em up!"

RSS