Can't figure this out

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 31 2011 12:44 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 1:51 PM

BigDan1973:
    Many times, with straight wind, in the back or in the front, I hit the ball right in the middle of the meter and the ball don't go straight, right on the start, it goes 2 to 6 yards off, left or right.

IMO, you're all missing something here. The operative word in Dan's post is straight. I doubt very seriously it was straight because when that needle points that way, or any other way for that matter, it wavers. It never stays totally still. You really need to pay close attention to how the wavering happens. In Dan's case, does it waver mostly to the right and back or does it waver to the left and back?  This is what is going to tell you where the ball will most likely go or how the wind is more than likely to  affect a dinged shot.

Watch your wind indicator closely if it's borderline on direction, like left to right or front to back-the influence is subtle and definitely makes a difference. 

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 3:13 PM

YankeeJim:
    IMO, you're all missing something here.
    I share this opinion.

YankeeJim:
    I doubt very seriously it was straight because when that needle points that way, or any other way for that matter, it wavers. It never stays totally still. You really need to pay close attention to how the wavering happens.
    Totally agree again and if I might add a couple of examples and further the reasoning.  St. Andrew's # 4 , Kiawah # 17. Both these pins are not dead down the line , they are shifted well to your left ,  leaving  what appears to be a dead tail or dead head on wind at 1'st glance ,is in fact  far from the case. Yes the wind arrow is at 6:00 or 12:00 o'clock. But with these pins shifted left when compared to your stance/hips/shoulders, as in the character does not shift. A true headwind at both these hole locations would look more like a 5:00 o'clock   "on"   the indicator ,and a true tailwind more like an 11:00 o'clock.  not 6:00  and 12:00.  There are many more , but these 2 came to mind because of the #'s of complaints of "inconsistency"  at these locations , when a lot of cases could be contributed to mis-reading wind . 

Ace

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 7:23 PM

Very good food for thought Ace.  I'd always been of the mindset that the wind direction is shown with my avatar lined up directly to the pin.  Mind you, I'm aware that the visual I see does indeed show the pin left or right of my avatar as you state above.  I just had always been of the belief that the default would be a straight line from my ball to the hole and that the wind direction shown was based on that line.

I will certainly consider this as I continue here and see if the results don't fall in my favor.  Thanks for the post.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 8:25 PM

Well for me and only speaking of me so as I don't get  flogged by 40 other players in the next 2 days , but , for me as far as reading winds , I prefer to zoom , then grab my aim indicator and then compare the flight path to the wind dial , and so to get a true headwind in this manner , that wind on the mentioned hole locations is going to have to be coming at you ( in order for these 2 paths to line up) , at like a 5:00 not 6:00  because those pins are somewhat left of a center line. To make a long story short ,while in zoom/reverse mode,  compare "your" arc / flight path indicator with the wind dial to form a dead down wind or up wind situation (without paying any attention to where your aim arrow is or is going) concentrating on only the paths lining up , and then see where your arrow ends up when your satisfied that your in line with the wind.  Don't be surprised if your surprised.

Ace

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:20 PM

Rzbk:

BigDan1973,

That's a great question I have asked myself time and time again. How can I improve without knowing what to improve on?

And how can improve when I can't practice the same shot until I get it right knowing that same shot may or may not do the same thing under the same conditions..

What that means to me is I may as well shut my eyes on any shot since it's a toss-up.

a toss up?  very often, yes, but an educated / experienced toss up, thats the differance.  my nickle.

• robdelahunty
    670 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:02 PM

TheAceFactor:

Well for me and only speaking of me so as I don't get  flogged by 40 other players in the next 2 days , but , for me as far as reading winds , I prefer to zoom , then grab my aim indicator and then compare the flight path to the wind dial , and so to get a true headwind in this manner , that wind on the mentioned hole locations is going to have to be coming at you ( in order for these 2 paths to line up) , at like a 5:00 not 6:00  because those pins are somewhat left of a center line. To make a long story short ,while in zoom/reverse mode,  compare "your" arc / flight path indicator with the wind dial to form a dead down wind or up wind situation (without paying any attention to where your aim arrow is or is going) concentrating on only the paths lining up , and then see where your arrow ends up when your satisfied that your in line with the wind.  Don't be surprised if your surprised.

Ace

No Cat'o' nine tails from me Miss Ace.Surprisingly amusing and helpful you are!

I am only surprised when i completey miss read a putt,then totally Duff it and miss the Dinger and the ball surprises and obliges!

Robbo.

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:33 AM

TheAceFactor:

YankeeJim:
    IMO, you're all missing something here.
    I share this opinion.

YankeeJim:
    I doubt very seriously it was straight because when that needle points that way, or any other way for that matter, it wavers. It never stays totally still. You really need to pay close attention to how the wavering happens.
    Totally agree again and if I might add a couple of examples and further the reasoning.  St. Andrew's # 4 , Kiawah # 17. Both these pins are not dead down the line , they are shifted well to your left ,  leaving  what appears to be a dead tail or dead head on wind at 1'st glance ,is in fact  far from the case. Yes the wind arrow is at 6:00 or 12:00 o'clock. But with these pins shifted left when compared to your stance/hips/shoulders, as in the character does not shift. A true headwind at both these hole locations would look more like a 5:00 o'clock   "on"   the indicator ,and a true tailwind more like an 11:00 o'clock.  not 6:00  and 12:00.  There are many more , but these 2 came to mind because of the #'s of complaints of "inconsistency"  at these locations , when a lot of cases could be contributed to mis-reading wind . 

Ace

Along these lines,

I like to adjust the game settings under 'menu' to show flag animation. Does anyone how accurate the green's flag actually is?

Thanks 

• Ranski
    9 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:25 AM

If you want to get an edge on how to putt better. I bought an architet's ruler (Inches) be careful they also have metric. It is triangular in shape. You can buy it at any office suppy store. If you get one you can tell to the foot  how hard to hit your put. I use the 3/16 scale and it fits almost right into the 30 foot putt on the screen. For the 60foot put just double the numbers on the rule.Of coarse you still have to take into account the if the greens are fast or slow, if you are putting down hill (red) or up hill (blue) ect....... but at leased it gives you a good starting point. With a little practice it works very well!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2011 12:44 PM

Ranski:
    I bought an architet's ruler (Inches) be careful they also have metric. It is triangular in shape.

It's called a Boxwood scale.  Very useful with 6 different scales.

• PAGES
RSS