Help › Forums

Balls rolling through pins and over holes

Tue, Aug 28 2012 6:28 AM (127 replies)
  • dfDurbs
    1,061 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:04 AM

SOYEL1:
    you get 3 useless cameras.

4 in my case...damn, I have zoomed in and this looks dead centre of the hole

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:28 AM

I've noticed in most of the replays, and also most of the putts I've missed that I felt should have dropped as they appeared to roll over some portion of the hole, that the ball also appears to speed up similar to when it lips out which in my opinion goes against the laws of physics. I can only assume this to be a programming error whereby the approach speed of the ball, if deemed to be "too fast" by some mysterious percentage is actually accelerated at reaching the hole to insure that it overshoots its destination. This is even more arguable in shots that only overshoot by 2ft or less as a properly hit putt needs that margin to hit the center of the hole. These are merely my observations, but, I do believe they have some validity.

Doc

• wullie123
    50 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:30 AM

totally agree with you dead center and through the pin now that is a talent

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 10:36 AM

dfDurbs:

4 in my case...damn, I have zoomed in and this looks dead centre of the hole

ah... it's been a while D   :)

have you bothered to watch camera 1 ?

same answer to all previous

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:07 AM

oilyrag:
    same answer to all previous

Have followed this thread with great interest, and agree that most of these missed shots/putts can be explained away with the reasons that have been stated, however, I'd still be interested in hearing any theory that explains the ball speeding away from the hole faster than it was approaching.

Doc

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 6:35 AM

drmoose:

...... however, I'd still be interested in hearing any theory that explains the ball speeding away from the hole faster than it was approaching.....

nothing to do with the hole

you can see the same thing elsewhere eg

replay.aspx?ID=7f99af4f 62a4 4930 a3b6 9ff300b28bd6

having bounced uphill the ball then appears to add a bit of turbo boost

but i would suggest that this may only be something to do with processing the graphics

the ball maybe ends up in the expected position, but it just looks a little odd when watching it.

i was going to put it into a video editing software to work out the speed at various points... but i can't be bothered :)

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:39 AM

oilyrag:
    having bounced uphill the ball then appears to add a bit of turbo boost

Oily, yes I have seen unexpected ball behavior elsewhere similar to your uphill "turbo boost" and agree it probably has something to do with processing the graphics, however (again) , I still believe the ball speeding away from the hole faster than it approaches goes against the laws of physics and is the result of flawed programming intentional or otherwise on the part of WGT which results in shots/putts being denied that should have dropped into the cup. Once again , this is only an observation on my part, but, I'd still like to hear some theory as to why it happens other than "processing the graphics" which I don't think really covers it.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 8:49 AM

O.K. let's just say "if" WGT has some "random" factor applied to putting results it may account for the ball accelerating away from the hole as there is no other logical explanation for it in a game that purports itself to be the most "realistic" simulation there is. Indeed, if this is the case, I think WGT should acknowledge it instead of leaving thousands of players scratching their heads over why they just missed another 3' putt they've made a thousand times before. And hey, if they're afraid admitting the putting on here is a bit of a "crapshoot" is going to cut into sales of $20.00 Nike Methods, they could offset their losses by selling $20.00 fuzzy dice to do the fuzzy math required to sink a putt that's been "randomly" selected to miss.

• lbullied
    5 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:06 AM

If you watch golf on TV when a ball lips out it appears to squirt away,most likely because when falling into the hole it gains speed and when it hits the lip it jumps up and has to fall again

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:08 AM

drmoose:
    I still believe the ball speeding away from the hole faster than it approaches goes against the laws of physics and is the result of flawed programming intentional or otherwise on the part of WGT which results in shots/putts being denied that should have dropped into the cup. Once again , this is only an observation on my part, but, I'd still like to hear some theory as to why it happens other than "processing the graphics" which I don't think really covers it.

Dr. M, Here is a discussion on a physics forum that addresses your point.  And yes, they agree with you it is impossible for the ball to gain speed on a lip out as no additional energy is added.

Can a golf ball gain speed when it goes round the hole and doesn't drop?

They conclude it is an optical illusion that it appears to gain speed due to the perspective of the golfer.  The ball is moving directly away from us and so "appears not to be moving very fast at all (same as a star moving away from us at light years of speed but appears not to be moving - this is called "angular speed and in this case is zero. Note that "angular speed" is not the same as "actual speed". Angular speed is about how fast something moves across your vision). When the balls comes off the hole at 90 degrees, it suddenly has a lot of angular speed (from the ball striker's perspective) but no more actual speed. The human eyes and brain confuse angular speed with actual speed.)"

Another way to look at it is on a race track, cars moving down the straightaway appear to be moving slower than when they cross our field of vision in the corner.

As seen in this video of an Indy 500.

Bottom line, it appears to be accelerating, but its not.

RSS