Forums

Help › Forums

Intro (gear guide included)

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:18 PM (4 replies)
  • ggwilliams
    4 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 2:28 PM

Hi all. I started 3 days ago and wanted to drop a line and intro myself. Having a ton of fun, I was a little thrifty and got a lot of new gear early but it is helping a lot.

Based on my limited experience, to new players with a little $$ to play with, I would highly recommend getting satin wedges at lvl 14, TM burner Irons at 22, Ping iWi putter at 28 and the R11 driver and wood at 29 and 30 respectively. With the aforementioned equipment I shot a 68 earlier today and hit pro at lvl 29.

I still need to learn what all the shots I read people talking about, flop, chip, pitch etc. and how to play them properly although I have probably hit a few but never knew it. Any advice or quick summary would be appreciated.

Gl, hf, thanks for reading.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 12:28 PM

Firstly, hi and welcome.

Secondly, I have to disagree on the irons (if you have the cash to spare). There are L15 Burner 2.0 irons which have a much slower meter, meaning the half dot lost in forgiveness will not be missed. As well as that, they have longer distances. However, they do cost $3.50 more but if you're willing to pay money here $3.50 isn't much more at all. Compared.

Thirdly, I agree on the low level irons you mentioned. Once you reach L38 drop the starter hybrid, and get a 3rd wedge. The 3wood punch works great out of 1st cut and 2nd cut rough.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 12:44 PM

As for the different wedge shots, practice is the best way to sort those. Oh, and this thread may help.

http://wgt.com/forums/p/7840/49253.aspx

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:04 PM

SgtDoodles:

Firstly, hi and welcome.

Secondly, I have to disagree on the irons (if you have the cash to spare). There are L15 Burner 2.0 irons which have a much slower meter, meaning the half dot lost in forgiveness will not be missed. As well as that, they have longer distances. However, they do cost $3.50 more but if you're willing to pay money here $3.50 isn't much more at all. Compared.

Thirdly, I agree on the low level irons you mentioned. Once you reach L38 drop the starter hybrid, and get a 3rd wedge. The 3wood punch works great out of 1st cut and 2nd cut rough.

Very good advice from experienced players.

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:18 PM

SgtDoodles:
    Secondly, I have to disagree on the irons (if you have the cash to spare). There are L15 Burner 2.0 irons which have a much slower meter, meaning the half dot lost in forgiveness will not be missed

I bought these as soon as I hit level15, I was an Amateur and they lasted me until well into Master. I only changed when I hit level 59 for the G10's. They are excellent clubs.

RSS