Help › Forums

Who holds the Record

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:12 AM (30 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 8:50 AM

overtheedge:
    , I'll miss this eagle so I can birdie the next few holes to win the Diamond...Unbelievable...lol.

LMAO

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 11:42 AM

GoodyChamp:

Curious who will be next on. Hot favorites are genorb and dansamcam I think...we'll see 

Thanks Goody. That's not easy because an eagle is enough to break the streak and when an eagle opportunity occurs it's hard to miss it on purpose just to get this award.

On 20 January I posted a 53 for a CC tourney at St-Andrews. All birdies except an eagle on hole #14... So that's a better card than having birdies on each hole but still you don't get the award :) .

Regards

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:31 PM

Penners:
    I can be added to the list (I'm sure more are out there). I did it 2 days ago in a CC Tournament

Great shooting from the tips! Did you use a swing meter aid, or did you just wing it?

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 3:48 PM

Richard4168:

Did you use a swing meter aid

It's probably just me and my poor english but when I read this I thought you were asking him if used some kind of cheating software or something, which was not a very nice comment.

Reading another thread where you contributed, I understand that you were probably asking him if he is using a tape with graduation (or something similar) over his swing meter (like a homemade putter pal).

I just wanted to step in because your question was misleading (at least to me)...

Regards

• Penners
    1,707 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:23 AM

No, it's OK Genorb, I read Richard's comment last night on my phone, but didn't get the chance to reply. I understood what he meant, as I too have read a thread where Richard was anti meter aids in the form of a percentage scale.

First up, thanks for the congrats Richard. To answer your question, I know you disagree with them, but yes I use a guide with 10% increments on it. So basically a home-made putterpal. For the majority of shots around full it doesn't come into play that much, but it mostly helps me on the greens. Since WGT are offering the same thing, I personally don't have any qualms using it and I'm sure many other players feel the same - a quick search on the forums shows how many people are using aids of some sort.

Completely agree that this award is much easier now than it used to be with all the equipment upgrades etc. Loads of players now are capable of doing it with that bit of luck or whatever. Clearly though it's still very rare at the moment (there might be others out there) and the Eagle stopping the run is a bit of a weird situation (WGT said they were looking into a couple of years back), that hasn't been sorted. If Eagles were to count, they'd definately be a fair few others to add to the list.

Genorb, out of curiosity, were you not tempted to intentionally miss the Eagle Putt? I guess it's simply not in your nature to miss a putt, but having won so many tournaments and shot loads of Eagles already, it must have been on your mind?! I know when I did mine, after #13 I really knew it was on, then #14 I had a 40ft Eagle putt. I did try and hole it, but I was glad when it missed (strange situation), then on approach to #18 the ball literally spun around the cup, missing Eagle by 1/2 a cup's width (I was so worried it would drop!). Rowlets (who is in my CC and did it in a 1000C RG off the tips at KI - great achievement!) said a similar thing happened to him on #16 when he was really close to holing his Eagle flop. It's a bit of a odd one, as clearly an Eagle shot isn't one you should intentionally miss or hope not to make, and of course Genorb's round as an example being a shot lower than 18 birdies, deserves the Award.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 3:40 AM

Fantastic scoring Everybody. It's a good debate, To give the award if you get an Eagle.

Look it this way maybe, It's a Diamond Birdie award and if you get an Eagle that stuffs it up.

The same situation is in Ten Pin Bowling....' All Spare Game' gets an award ... bowl a strike and you've blown it, so when you get to the 10th frame, you try not to bowl a strike.

Cheers

Roger

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 4:46 AM

Penners:

Genorb, out of curiosity, were you not tempted to intentionally miss the Eagle Putt?

Not one second :) . To make birdies on each hole you need to play a great round of course. But when I am playing a great round (and it was one of them), this is because I just focus on each hole separately and do not think to the remaining holes. Unfortunately I cannot control myself well enough on this point and if I start to think to the remaining holes and to the score I could post, then I screw up the last ones most of the time :).

A good example of that is the 18-hole of this week (week 4), I was -11 after 11 holes but then I started to think that I could post the best score so far and.... I only did -2 on the last 7 holes!! (included a par on the last par 5!).

So I can be sure that if I was missing an eagle on purpose, I would most certainly miss a birdie later :) .

Regards

• Penners
    1,707 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:04 AM

Interesting, of course playing a shot at a time and trying not to think too far ahead can be an important factor in shooting low scores. I myself, have often got carried away and thought of the final score only to make a mess of the last few holes!! I too can cite an example - I could have avoided the debate from my point of view regarding qualifying for the Falls Championships Finals if I didn't make such a mess of the B9 of the Final Qualifying round - I went out in 27 and came back in in 32! I got a few big dev's on the B9, but I should have done better and may have been slightly guilty of thinking ahead...

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:26 AM

Penners:

Interesting, of course playing a shot at a time and trying not to think too far ahead can be an important factor in shooting low scores. I myself, have often got carried away and thought of the final score only to make a mess of the last few holes!! I too can cite an example - I could have avoided the debate from my point of view regarding qualifying for the Falls Championships Finals if I didn't make such a mess of the B9 of the Final Qualifying round - I went out in 27 and came back in in 32! I got a few big dev's on the B9, but I should have done better and may have been slightly guilty of thinking ahead...

I think the mecanism is quite simple, when you start to think about the remaining holes and about the score you could post, then you just lose some focus and your game is less good. I know that when I finish a 18-hole where I post a very good score, I am quite exhausted and I couldn't start another one immediatly. I have to shut down the browser and do something else for a while before to start a new round.

Regards

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:37 AM

Well, if you used a caddy to carry your clubs or drove a cart you wouldn't be so exhausted after your round.

RSS