Forums

Help › Forums

Third wedge

Wed, Jun 12 2024 2:02 PM (22 replies)
  • GreenLaser
    211 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2024 5:49 PM

Maccam24:

My wedge question is where is a distance gap in your clubs the most problematic….

My Ping L59 irons go down to 115 yards.   My max spin wedges are at 90, 75 and 60.

Seems like the gap between 115 and 90 is wayyyy too big and is at a popular distance.  But is adding a wedge for around 100 yards and losing the 60 yard wedge better?   Or is losing the middle wedge and having a gap between 90 and 60 better?  Or a gap between 75 and 100?

Seems like you need the 60 yard wedge for sand traps etc.    But none of the other options sound too good either

IMO, a 64° wedge (whether it's a 50 yard wedge or a 60 yard wedge doesn't seem to matter much for my game) is one of the most important clubs in the game.  Don't give up your 60 yard wedge.

Regarding the gap between your 115 yard PW and your 90 yard MAXSpin wedge, have you experimented with adjusting spin to narrow the gap?  I'm wondering how much you can shorten the PW by adding backspin and how much you can lengthen the MAXSpin wedge by adding topspin. Considering how much spin those MAXSpin wedges have to begin with, even with added topspin it will probably still hold greens pretty well. And remember you can punch with your PW. 115 PW will probably punch something like 95 yards--I'm not sure about that but a 115 yard wedge I have punches 96. Maybe punch with a bit of topspin?

• Maccam24
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2024 9:18 AM

SamSpayed…GreenLaser….both very helpful suggestions!  I will tinker with the spin on my 115 and 90 yard wedges.  And, look at the newer 80 and 100 yard wedges when they become available in a few levels.

Appreciate it!

• BlackBogey
    498 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2024 2:02 PM

Maccam24:

SamSpayed…GreenLaser….both very helpful suggestions!  I will tinker with the spin on my 115 and 90 yard wedges.  And, look at the newer 80 and 100 yard wedges when they become available in a few levels.

Appreciate it!

Also keep in mind that WGT often offers "Bundle Deals" that they make available right at/before you reach the required level.  For example I got an offer to buy the entire Vokey line of L74 (115yd), L76 (100yd), L78 (80yd) and L80 (60yd) somewhere right around L72-74 (can't remember now exactly what level I hit to activate the offer).  That's my recommendation.  The Vokeys are superior to the Callaways mentioned above.

Downsides are A) you have to pay cash, not WGT credits  B) you cannot sell the 115yd wedge back later, which is the only one you would probably ever want to (since I can't sell it back I occasionally swap it in for my 3wd in CTTH or BOP3 rounds if I remember)  C) the bundle offer is only active for 24-48hrs after it activates so you have to make up your mind quickly D) you'd have to wait slightly longer

Upsides are A) you get a good discount, probably 4 wedges for the price of 2 or 3 (again, can't remember the cost)  B) those wedges can last you forever if you decide not to upgrade to highest level Callaways down the road  C) you continue to level up super fast until you hit the mid-upper 80s, so it won't be as long as you think.

Just something else to think about before rushing into buying something now that you'll likely want to upgrade in a month or 2 😉

RSS