2024 Andyson Memorial

Wed, Sep 18 2024 11:33 AM (755 replies)
  • Bowl64
    3,111 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2024 11:57 PM

kasia1967:

Hi  Bjorn  From Mio

MioKontic — Today at 21:01

could you reply to Bowls64 for me please.  tell him that because he didn't finish the round, and therefore hasn't posted a score for 18 holes on Oakmont, he can attempt it again.  it's the first full round that counts.

If that`s the case i`d gladly play again, i just thought it`d be best to be honest about my pathetic DNF-round :)

Bjorn

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 2:51 AM

Bowl64:

If that`s the case i`d gladly play again, i just thought it`d be best to be honest about my pathetic DNF-round :)

Bjorn

Bjorn

When I used to play the tournament I always played it as a single round too - if I got through, all well and good, and if I failed, there was always next year.  However, there is no way to check if someone abandons a round and restarts, so to be fair to everyone I have to allow unlimited attempts, and it is up to each individual how they want to play it, but the first full completed round will be the one that counts.

• Boycalvin
    955 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 3:51 AM

It’s getting tougher out there…..

09.10.24 Oakmont C.C., Full 18 Champion 59
  • microbotics
    110 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 8:52 AM
    09.10.24 Oakmont C.C., Full 18 Tour Champion 58
  • rafy54
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 9:59 AM

Getting tricky but a 58 for me ...

09.10.24 Oakmont C.C., Full 18 Champion 58
  • SamSpayed
    4,998 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 11:53 AM

kasia1967:

MioKontic — Today at 21:01

tell him that because he didn't finish the round, and therefore hasn't posted a score for 18 holes on Oakmont, he can attempt it again.  it's the first full round that counts.

Mio, the problem I see with this is that as soon as we know we will be past the cut line, all we have to do is quit and restart.  We can do that as many times as we need to in order to try to make the cut.  Is that really the intention?

• HamdenPro
    2,464 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 3:10 PM

SamSpayed:
    the problem I see with this is that as soon as we know we will be past the cut line, all we have to do is quit and restart.  We can do that as many times as we need to in order to try to make the cut.  Is that really the intention?

It seems to me, under the circumstances, and current rules of the tournament (which are same as last year), it is impossible to police whether someone restarts a bad round or not. Therefore, it really does not matter, IMHO.

Regardless of how many times a player restarts, they have to make the cut and, eventually, but for a few (which I presume are better than the rest), will miss the cut no matter how many times they restart.

EDIT: It is really no different than WGT tournaments which allow restarts, such as Gameday.

• SamSpayed
    4,998 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 5:14 PM

HamdenPro:
    It seems to me, under the circumstances, and current rules of the tournament (which are same as last year), it is impossible to police whether someone restarts a bad round or not.

One way to fix that would be for Mio to request that WGT create an 18-hole single-play tournament each week and call it something like "Andyson Memorial Round X - Course Name".  WGT did exactly that for BrutherDuke and sammey1 for the 2024 Presidents Cup qualifier. I'm sure they would do the same for Mio if he asked them politely.  He could also have them set it up with Apparel Off (which I believe was his original intent) and with controlled wind directions.

In any event... I missed the cut.  I suppose I could have quit and restarted after I missed my birdie putt on #18, but I didn't feel that was the right thing to do.

09.11.24 Oakmont C.C., Full 18 Champion 61
  • JDGHOST
    6,886 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 9:46 PM

I have to agree with both points here.... as HamdenPro stated there is no way to police the rounds and for every honest gamer there is bound to be at least one "Patrick Reed"

That said whenever I chose to tee it up for the weeks tourney that's my only attempt (which could bounce me this week  not a fan of Oakey at all!!

I do like the WGT helping out idea

👻

• BlackBogey
    463 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2024 10:22 PM

SamSpayed:

One way to fix that would be for Mio to request that WGT create an 18-hole single-play tournament each week and call it something like "Andyson Memorial Round X - Course Name".  WGT did exactly that for BrutherDuke and sammey1 for the 2024 Presidents Cup qualifier. I'm sure they would do the same for Mio if he asked them politely.  He could also have them set it up with Apparel Off (which I believe was his original intent) and with controlled wind directions.

It would also eliminate the need for any stroke play score reporting on here as all scores could be gathered directly from the tournament leaderboard page.  That way people wouldn't have to report on behalf of others (even though I noticed no one bothered to report mine from last week for me, LOL)

RSS