Help › Forums

Equipment

Wed, Jul 31 2024 3:37 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BlackBogey
    459 Posts
    Tue, Jul 23 2024 7:33 PM

EntropiaBones:

To be clear , I am not advocating against buying balls.

The OP is having difficulty progressing in tiering , and my above post I am trying to give a solution based on how I viewed the buff system from the beginning of my game play.

I see that eventually to reach the higher tiers you will need ball control , and the range to reach hole in a controlled manner. As you level and tier you are faced with moving back further from the hole , and each new distance you have the same common denominator , which is ball control.

I viewed the starter ball as a baseline as I learned the mechanics. Today I am still seeing and learning different ways to manipulate the mechanics. If I was using paid balls , I would have to also contend with the added buffs. 

Those buffs can add to your game , but if your game depends on buffs alone , then its possible you haven't learned all the aspects of the mechanics of the baseline game. 

Peace 

Bones

Not judging, as we all the game the way we want, but just making an observation that it seems odd to me that someone who has every spot in the bag filled with the very best equipment available to them (save the L100 irons vs L97 and maybe the 60* wedge) would be so against playing upgraded balls.  I do understand that balls are an ongoing expense, whereas clubs a one-off purchase, so there's that in your favor.

You fail to mention, or at best lightly brush over the fact that better balls will: 1) have slower meter speeds helping get closer to the ding for more accurate results, 2) have better distance which will leave you hitting a club or 2 or 3 less into the greens which is going to offer more control and precision, 3) have better spin which allows you to control the ball on landing (once you learn how much spin to play).

Like I say, more power to you and to each their own, just find it odd myself.  Now if you were a L100 Legend with all mid-level clubs I probably wouldn't find it odd at all, as that would indicate a conscience decision to not spend anything, or very little on the game, but I guess because you have upgraded everything else that's what makes me scratch my head.  Anyway, glad the starters work for you!

• EntropiaBones
    25 Posts
    Fri, Jul 26 2024 10:31 PM

BlackBogey:

EntropiaBones:

To be clear , I am not advocating against buying balls.

The OP is having difficulty progressing in tiering , and my above post I am trying to give a solution based on how I viewed the buff system from the beginning of my game play.

I see that eventually to reach the higher tiers you will need ball control , and the range to reach hole in a controlled manner. As you level and tier you are faced with moving back further from the hole , and each new distance you have the same common denominator , which is ball control.

I viewed the starter ball as a baseline as I learned the mechanics. Today I am still seeing and learning different ways to manipulate the mechanics. If I was using paid balls , I would have to also contend with the added buffs. 

Those buffs can add to your game , but if your game depends on buffs alone , then its possible you haven't learned all the aspects of the mechanics of the baseline game. 

Peace 

Bones

Not judging, as we all the game the way we want, but just making an observation that it seems odd to me that someone who has every spot in the bag filled with the very best equipment available to them (save the L100 irons vs L97 and maybe the 60* wedge) would be so against playing upgraded balls.  I do understand that balls are an ongoing expense, whereas clubs a one-off purchase, so there's that in your favor.

You fail to mention, or at best lightly brush over the fact that better balls will: 1) have slower meter speeds helping get closer to the ding for more accurate results, 2) have better distance which will leave you hitting a club or 2 or 3 less into the greens which is going to offer more control and precision, 3) have better spin which allows you to control the ball on landing (once you learn how much spin to play).

Like I say, more power to you and to each their own, just find it odd myself.  Now if you were a L100 Legend with all mid-level clubs I probably wouldn't find it odd at all, as that would indicate a conscience decision to not spend anything, or very little on the game, but I guess because you have upgraded everything else that's what makes me scratch my head.  Anyway, glad the starters work for you!

I definitely see your point on range , and meter , not so much on spin.

As you pointed out I have the best clubs for my level , the 97 irons give me a slightly better meter consistency which I need since I use the flat buff balls. Meter would be a very nice thing to have , but I have to say I am getting used to the meter speed over time , and all my clubs are fairly matched on meter speed , which helps with consistency. The only change I might make is a better wedge meter timing , but the range spread I have on my 3 wedges I do like and would find it odd if I changed the spread. Most likely I will buy different ones and compare. It's never been about the money , I mean I buy clothes I like , and have bought clubs for people just to pay forward on a game I enjoy.

My reasoning for the starter balls is the baseline they give. Once you learn the spin of the clubs , its just adjusting for range. When I mention control , its more of starting from a stable baseline.

I go to people profiles when I see them struggling , and what  I notice is they are buying different balls. If you constantly change the buffs , then your constantly changing the math on the shot. I can see buying balls to make final adjustments to what you have , once you know the mechanics of your endgame clubs. If you are struggling to get a consistent shots , the trouble is most likely you need more consistent math , and changing balls changes the math. The math is consistent , it only changes when you change a variable , such as spin.

Myself as I was leveling I would have loved a slower meter , but I knew by the time I got to my endgame clubs , I would either need a meter ball or I wouldn't , and so far I think I have the meter timing good , though as I age , which I am already close to dirt , I may need some meter relief down the line. 

On driving range , once I reach level 102 I will have a few more yards , and being a coinroom junkie as I am , I use maxed out range on my clothing buffs for driver and 3 wood. All other clothing buffs I keep on roughs extenders. So I do gain some range there , and once my rare and epic clothing are maxed I will gain a bit more. I haven't added the clothing range buffs on my irons , but I can down the road if I need better range on them , at the moment I feel they suffice. I have only had them for a few levels , so still getting a good feel for them. 

I do think buying balls can help your game , I just think buying them to help your timing is counterintuitive until you have your reflexes set to your endgame clubs or the same stats as endgame clubs.  Truthfully range is the only ball that has a benefit if you actually need the range. Spin is something that will change by too many instances till you reach your endgame clubs. It changes each tier , then each set of clubs you upgrade to as you tier , so with using a ball without any buffs you set you reflexes by using the same baseline buff.

Then buy balls that help fine tune at the end. This may not work for many people , but when I see someone struggling , by seeing them change balls constantly , it's pretty evident to me they need consistency. 

• MioKontic
    4,642 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2024 5:26 AM

What is a buff?  From the above it seems to mean so many things, and at the same time nothing at all.  Would have made just as much sense if every word was 'buff'.  Reminds me of the film "Rhubarb"  :D

• SamSpayed
    4,997 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2024 10:58 AM

MioKontic:
    What is a buff?  From the above it seems to mean so many things, and at the same time nothing at all.

A buff is a boost.  If you pay attention to the context, it's pretty obvious what he means.  Be nice 🙂

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,629 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2024 8:54 PM

Whoa! 😳

• ScottHope
    10,310 Posts
    Wed, Jul 31 2024 2:57 AM

Mio banned?

Great timing, not!

• BlackBogey
    459 Posts
    Wed, Jul 31 2024 3:37 AM

ScottHope:

Mio banned?

Great timing, not!

It would appear so.  I had a string personal messages from him concerning the ongoing Andyson Memorial and while they are still there, his name has been scrubbed from them all.  Guess HamdenPro will have to take over communications for the time being, or he'll have to get on Discord to give tourney info 🤷‍♂️

• PAGES
RSS