Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment

Wed, Jul 31 2024 3:37 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • oloingsigh1
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 1:23 AM
    Hi, I have a question about golf balls. I realise the importance is f a good ball in term of WGT progression. When you buy a new set of balls do they expire after a certain length of time? I normally use the standard ball that is not very good. Previously, I upgraded my ball but it seemed to expire after some time. Regards, PJ
  • SamSpayed
    4,992 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 2:07 PM

oloingsigh1:

When you buy a new set of balls do they expire after a certain length of time? 

Yes.  Each ball is typically good for about 90-120 hits.  The exact number of hits you get depends on the Durability rating for the ball.  Putts on the green don't count as ball hits.

• BOZskills
    407 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2024 7:45 AM

Well done Sam. I would add only one thing. There is a little blue light bar in the lower right corner of the play screen,that tells you sort of how many hits on your ball you have left. I have lobbied wgt to make this a small circle with an actual number in it. That way we would know exactly how many hits we have. But i guess wgt doesn't want us to know exactly how many hits we have🤔.

• sheepsass
    654 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2024 3:55 PM

Let’s get these balls …..please

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2024 4:17 PM

It makes sense that there are clubs for ladies, with more suitable shaft flex and length, etc., but balls?! Do they have AI chips in them so they go further and straighter when ladies hit them?! LOL

• BlackBogey
    445 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2024 8:49 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

It makes sense that there are clubs for ladies, with more suitable shaft flex and length, etc., but balls?! Do they have AI chips in them so they go further and straighter when ladies hit them?! LOL

Yes it does make sense @Simon.  Lower compression and harder covers suit lower swing speeds.  I can remember many years ago the Precept Lady was all the rage among senior players because these characteristics "fit them to a tee" (no pun intended)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Sun, Jul 21 2024 1:21 AM

BlackBogey:
    Yes it does make sense @Simon.  Lower compression and harder covers suit lower swing speeds.  I can remember many years ago the Precept Lady was all the rage among senior players because these characteristics "fit them to a tee" (no pun intended)

Aha, I see! Always good to learn new things. Thanks, BB! 👍

• borntobesting
    9,676 Posts
    Sun, Jul 21 2024 9:51 AM

BlackBogey:

SimonTheBeetle:

Used to love The lower compression Spaulding Flying Lady, Lots of men need to play lady's balls,but they will play Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1 X and wonder why they don"t get good  distance

• EntropiaBones
    25 Posts
    Sun, Jul 21 2024 4:34 PM

oloingsigh1:
    Hi, I have a question about golf balls. I realise the importance is f a good ball in term of WGT progression. When you buy a new set of balls do they expire after a certain length of time? I normally use the standard ball that is not very good. Previously, I upgraded my ball but it seemed to expire after some time. Regards, PJ

I may lose my spot on someone's Christmas list for saying this.

The starter balls are completely fine to use , and I find offer a good degree of control. The argument others have posed to me , is they are "bricks" and you do not get spin , to which I happen to agree. Where I differ in opinion is the degree of spin needed to effectively play.

The top end clubs offer enough spin to reverse even the starter balls , and can even back a ball completely off the green if not careful. What I feel you gain with them , is the fight against too much spin , which is quite common on the short game , which is one we all must play. Once a balance between elevation and spin is learned using the starter balls , your game will start to take shape.

I feel confident in my game up to tournament greens , though the championship greens are something I have very little contact with , as I am a coin room golfer. Saying this , it may also disqualify my post as to your needs. Another drawback is they offer no meter speed or distance buffs , which distance is mostly irrelevant as you gain higher clubs.

And I ask please , nobody send me balls as others have in the past , since they would only add to the hundreds I have already , and will not be used soon if ever. 

Bones

• EntropiaBones
    25 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2024 5:36 PM

To be clear , I am not advocating against buying balls.

The OP is having difficulty progressing in tiering , and my above post I am trying to give a solution based on how I viewed the buff system from the beginning of my game play.

I see that eventually to reach the higher tiers you will need ball control , and the range to reach hole in a controlled manner. As you level and tier you are faced with moving back further from the hole , and each new distance you have the same common denominator , which is ball control.

I viewed the starter ball as a baseline as I learned the mechanics. Today I am still seeing and learning different ways to manipulate the mechanics. If I was using paid balls , I would have to also contend with the added buffs. 

Those buffs can add to your game , but if your game depends on buffs alone , then its possible you haven't learned all the aspects of the mechanics of the baseline game. 

Peace 

Bones

• PAGES
RSS