Forums

Help › Forums

Question for the golf Guru's

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 7 2011 9:55 AM (8 replies)
  • sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:14 PM

Being the lucky recipient of a recent HOI/double eagle, I had always thought that the distinction between a double eagle and an albatross was that an albatross was a hole out on a par 4, versus a double eagle, which was a second shot hole out on a par 5. Some people have told me there is no distinction, Comments please, and lets keep it serious, thanks.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:21 PM

An albatross is 3-under par on a given hole.....and so is a double-eagle.

Albatross = Double Eagle = awesome shot.

They're interchangeable terms.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:25 PM

Fairly certain that it pertains to any hole that is scored 3under par for that hole.  So a par 4 hole in one or a hole-out for shot 2 on a par 5.   

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bogey_par.htm

**edit.....I see that I type too slow.....after hitting post reply there was the answer there already lol.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:34 PM

Thanks HP, nice link, seems there should be a distinction, but maybe I'm just vainglorious, lol.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:52 PM

u got it right dude. THat's what confused me on here. Callin a h-i=1 a double eagle.

A double eagle is 2 shots on a par 5

An albatross is a hole in one on a par 4.

that's the distinction, as far as i know,knew. ,, and that's not much,,lol

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:23 PM

I was under the impression that they were one and the same. The double eagle name being an Americanisation of the British original.

• overtheedge
    5,881 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:19 AM

I think "Double Eagle"has a certain ring to it.  It's almost like saying..."yeah, thats right...I'm a BAD ASS"!...lol

• Kriztjan
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:27 AM

piztaker is correct, a HIO on a par4 is still a HIO, and a albatross/double eagle is 2 shots on a par5.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 9:55 AM

The terms describe your score relative to par

A HIO on a par 4 is definitely a HIO.  But it's also an albatross or double eagle.  In the same way that a HIO on a par 3 is also an eagle.

RSS