rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 3 2012 1:21 PM (33 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Mon, Dec 26 2011 3:14 AM

TheAceFactor:

mantis0014:
    Chrome Auto loads the Latest version of flash if it's not there

Yes it does...however , flash will have an update awaiting you when merely opening the desktop , before opening a browser. (at least mine does.)

Ace

Same here Ace. If there is a flash update as soon as my pc boots up and my Isp starts there is a notification of a flash update and I can choose to install it or not. 

• JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Mon, Dec 26 2011 3:53 AM

have you downloaded free game booster i have a 10 yr old computer hardly ever have problems with swing meter

james

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 3:21 PM

phiber:
    computer processor is AMD Athlon processor, 2.7 Ghz. 2.00 GB Ram, 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Decent system but under specc'd.
    (next time you need to format your computer go to a 64bit version of Windows 7) 

Win7 needs a minimum of 2gb of ram just to get you to the desktop.
    Ram is very inexpensive these days, and perhaps swapping out your current ram altogether, for new ram.

Not sure how many ram slots you have there, but fill them all with 2gb sticks of ram.

EG; 2 slots = 4gb of ram
    Win 7 utilises Ram very differently to previous windows versions.

At the very least you should have 4GB of ram.

Although all of the other advice here is on the money... there is something that comes to mind that hasn't been touched on.
    Your internet connection... is it ADSL via your telephone line?
    If you are more than say 5miles  from your nearest Phone Exchange, your speeds will dramatically decrease.
    Use these as a speed test: http://speedtest.net/ 
    Also go into Control Panel and find DEVICE MANAGER - look for 'Network Adapters'  in here "right click" on your adapter and ask windows to check for updates.

ALSO, check your System Tray..  down on the right corner of windows by the clock.
    How many little icons do you have running there?
    I suspect there are many.
    Some maintenance here is needed.
    All these little icons are programs running everytime you boot up. things like Printer Monitors,  Cam settings, Video settings, etc etc..  MANY of these arent needed to start everytime with windows. Many of these are constantly accessing the internet , looking for updates etc.

Somebody did mention Task Manager and disabling these 'processes' but they will come back again with each start up.

Although Glary Utilities is a decent program (as mentioned), CCleaner is better & more thorough.

Get it Free here:  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner 

Use the 'CLEANER' within to clean windows temp files and also to check your START UP within the "TOOLS" area.
    Disable everything that isn't needed with every startup/boot. Keep your Antivirus etc.
    You could also to a REGISTRY check, but be sure to allow it to BACK UP when it asks (back up to the CCleaner folder) 

After using CCleaner always reboot the computer.

and on a final note.  Does the browser your using for WGT have any TOOLBARS installed?
    Google toolbar - ASK toolbar - Yahoo toolbar  - ANY toolbar?
    Unistall them ALL!

They are constantly sending your internet usage back to their home.

1. More Ram
    2. Clean up Start Up entries & Toolbars
    3. Check your ADSL service &  check your LAN drivers for updates.

Once this is all done do a speed test again  http://speedtest.net/

with a nice clean system, upgraded Ram and updated Network drivers, then,

Use a single browser for WGT only. 
    Google Chrome (or Comodo)
    - Clear history and Cache and Cookies with every start
    - Clear flash cache 1x per week (or after any WGT upgrades or any new club purchases etc) 

Good Luck

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 8:37 PM

wow, great input and I appreciate it.  I have almost everything done, excep the RAM upgrade and the DSL service confirmation from Bellsouth.  It is better but I think with the RAM going up to 8 gig will really make it play better.  3 3gb sticks ordered!!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help immensly!

Leo

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:35 PM

Glad to hear it Leo.

3 x 3gb sticks is 9gb!  

once you get your windows at 64bit..   it will be even better

Happy New Year!

• slillico
    393 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 10:54 PM

Shutdown AV also, create a new computer user profile, call it gaming, and shut down everything you can from starting up, no adobe updater, Itunes etc, and only use that profile for gaming, no need for the AV when playing anyway.

Firefox works best for me.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:17 AM

Thanks to each and every one of you for all the input, I think we may have it corrected. I did a lot of things and probably couldn't tell you what helped them most other than to get my DSL  at the right speed, that helps loading the pages faster, much much faster.  I was clocking 1.14 average prior to the work, now it is averaging6.45 mbps, that is significant.  I would advise anyone on DSL service to check with their provider for updates and changes that will speed you up,.  My max right now has been clocked at around 11 mbps.

I cleaned u everything as you guys suggested, all that helped a ton too, no stuff running when I am on the game.  Game booster 3 closes down everything else when I am playing.

I still havent installed the additional memory and anticipate that arriving so I can do that I have 3 addition al slots and I am putting in 3 2 gig sticks, probably a lot more than I need but don't want to go to "battle" with only a few bullets.

Now!!!  Who has a cure for the ding finger?  it was impossible to develop a feel for the ding previously, I think that I can get there pretty quickly now that the meter is much smoother and predictable.   Couldn't do that before because it was neither smooth nor predictable

Thanks again to each of your for  your guidance and patience

• strikerseasy
    65 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:59 AM

i found one that helps with the meter size.  i decreased my screen size from hd(i have a 23 inch hd moniter) to 1680x (i cant remember the other number) butit increased my meter size by 1/4 inch  giving me more time to click.  being 66 i need all the help i can get.  i also hooked my wifes portable to the large screen tv and that really made the meter larger  .i also have done the other recommended deals in this forum .. hope that helps  strikerseasy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 8:19 AM

phiber:
    Now!!!  Who has a cure for the ding finger?  it was impossible to develop a feel for the ding previously, I think that I can get there pretty quickly now that the meter is much smoother and predictable

You will find yourself getting it down much faster than you think. Something that might facilitate this would be taking a look at another driver. That Tri you're swinging is a nice driver but that meter speed is a toughie compared to the R9 which is 2 yards longer. 2 yards might not seem like a big deal but that driver can hang with the R11 (which I suspect is what you'll wind up with in 8 more levels) and was easier to hit than the Tri. The R9 meter is supposedly the same but it doesn't accelerate the last third of the swing like that Tri does. The speed of the meter was more consistent. It was easier to get into a tempo with the R9.

Matching the meter speeds goes a long way to finding that ding. It isn't always possible but there are a few cases where you can. In the absence of that, have the woods the same speed, the irons their speed and the wedges all the same speed. GL

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2012 11:26 AM

YankeeJim:

That Tri you're swinging is a nice driver but that meter speed is a toughie compared to the R9 which is 2 yards longer. 2 yards might not seem like a big deal but that driver can hang with the R11 (which I suspect is what you'll wind up with in 8 more levels) and was easier to hit than the Tri. The R9 meter is supposedly the same but it doesn't accelerate the last third of the swing like that Tri does. The speed of the meter was more consistent. It was easier to get into a tempo with the R9.

Just rented the R9 L80 and you are right on target Yankee Jim.  Much better swing meter, not nearly as erratic.  Think that is the direction to go in for sure.  I am not so sure about the R11 L88, a friend that I know very well has one and he isn't that fired up about it.  Thanks for the tip

BTW HUGE Yanks fan here, have been since the 50's (yep, old fart here) started following the Yanks when I played Little League baseball in 54, been with them ever since, used to like the Bums too but we all know what happened to them. 

RSS